• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

View PostGeist Null, on 23 February 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

infantry always deserve respect. i hope they make it into the game

I think that having infantry might take away from the rest of the game. If there were to be smaller units playible to the players they would and should probably be Elementals/Battle suits and tanks. They would add but not take away from the MechWarrior™ experience.

#22 GDL Rahsan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

View PostDamon Howe, on 23 February 2012 - 05:40 PM, said:

"This is my rifle, this is my gun..."

"This is for fighting. This is for fun."

#23 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:42 AM

I think that having infantry might take away from the rest of the game. If there were to be smaller units playible to the players they would and should probably be Elementals/Battle suits and tanks. They would add but not take away from the MechWarrior™ experience.

I doubt they would be playable- they would be more like the airstrike commander skills- the aerospace fighters arent playable, or even game entities, they just are an airstrike ability- elementals could be a similar ability for the clans- they call in some elementals to tie up an enemy mech.

Infantry and tanks could be in the game without disrupting much- in MW4 they are often featured in multiplayer matches as npc units.

#24 drakkonis

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationAntartica

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:49 AM

How about a mech with a couple tanks and then some fodd--er I mean infantry with land mines

Tank bells can be effective.

DRAKK

#25 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:07 AM

Its one thing to go into battle in a huge armoured killing machine or power armour- its another to go in there with just a gun, some grenades and light body armour on your own two legs! You gotta respect the infantry.

#26 Cyboag

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 13 posts
  • LocationPerth West Australia.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:38 AM

Power suits would be even better then just plain Infantry,
would love to see steams of them running in front of my mech.

#27 Hans Landa

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:50 AM

1st of all, sorry for my bad english (I'm from Argentina)

Maybe we will have a game mode like a MOBA game (DotA, League of Legends, etc). Infantry/tanks spam from our Base and the team must help them reach the other base to destroy it. Also, keep in mind that the enemy infantry is what makes worthwhile to equip MachineGuns/Flamers (unless you wanna kill a guy with a PPC)

About the Elementals: Maybe Clan Mechs can carry in a module a Point of elementals that work independently, controled by an AI (Similar to the interceptors of the starcraft Carrier)

#28 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:03 AM

I renew my call for NPC infantry that can occupy buildings on the Urban maps, allowing to act as "turrets".

#29 AdamBaines

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:59 AM

View Postverybad, on 23 February 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

Poor use of resources. (both as a commander or as the game developers) That's like using a Fighter Pilot to do work normally done by SEALs.

People trained in recon are going to be better at it than a mech pilot in any case. It's just not a game about being PBI. Now it mightbe fun sure, but if mechs are on the scene, you don't get hit-points, any mech hits you (or near you) with any weapon and your dead, not just dead, but vapor.

It's not a single person game, and anyone still in a mech should be able to easilly slaugter you. Your'e not "the hero" you're one of many.

So let the PBI be PBI, doing their thing, necessary but ungloried, while we fight the mechs.

A waste of resources....seriously?

You miss the point.......

Id not like to have NPC for everything infantry does, if infantry exists at all on go-live. Let us play the infantry sometime. Fine, if you dont think you can cut it in the field in the trenches you stay in the cockpit. I for one would welcome the challenge of doing multiple things in the universe. It would be cool to be an aerospace pilot too. If you want to limit yourself that's fine by me. But Id love to rock and roll in every aspect in the universe if possible. It would make it a more complete Battletech/Mechwarrior Universe. Now, do I think it will happen? No, not right away at least.

It is a game after all.....but I guess some of you miss that point.

#30 Ranger Aodhan

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:34 AM

All in all, infantry is highly unlikely to have an app appearance in the game, it would make things more complicacated than they needed to be because of eather the number of players need for a single battle, all the stuff the server would have to handle, and mech pilots do not command foot souldiers.

#31 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:39 AM

View PostAODHAN45, on 24 February 2012 - 07:34 AM, said:

All in all, infantry is highly unlikely to have an app appearance in the game, it would make things more complicacated than they needed to be because of eather the number of players need for a single battle, all the stuff the server would have to handle, and mech pilots do not command foot souldiers.

Agreed. But it's still a cool "what if" :-)

#32 Man From AUNTIE

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationWA state

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:54 AM

You know, in the book Shrapnel, a collection of short stories set in the BT universe, they had a few stories about how evil PBIs could be.

#33 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

Terrorizing infantry, you should be ashamed to call yourselves mech warriors!

;)

That being said, it is fun to take your mech and roll around on them for awhile.

steamroller!

#34 Gunman5000

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

I can definately see them adding Infantry and other Combined Arms forces simply for the fact that they add scale. I remember reading somewhere about the level designs and how it can be a challenge to give the proper scale given that some of the 'Mechs are 30m tall and still make urban environments relatively close quarters (rather than simply looking over the top of most buildings). Adding smaller units, such as infantry, tanks, VTOLs, etc. would instantly give the proper scale feeling regardless (to an extent) of the size of the environment because everyone is familiar with how big those units are.

#35 Ledabot

• PipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

Thats a nice speech. Never heard the term PBI before but now I think I'll use it everywere.

#36 Cassi McDoolan

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 14 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

I remember clan Diamond Shark had a mech purely to deal with the PBI - the Piranha.

PBI meet 12 gattling guns...

#37 Insidious Johnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

Woot! Footpounders getting some press! Most light mechs double as anti-infantry platforms if they even have a primary scout function. About friggin time some mention of PBI's, vehicles, and Aerospace. Even if we don't get to (initially) play them, they are necessary elements in a game pulled from a universe filled with mixed unit tactics.

#38 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:29 PM

Gotta read that announcement like Duncan Fisher.

#39 GDL Rahsan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:39 AM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 24 February 2012 - 11:29 PM, said:

Gotta read that announcement like Duncan Fisher.

Thanks to you now I will read all of the announcemtns made by Jacob Hardenson like Duncan Fisher. ((So Pirahna how about you guys start making some Solaris announcements made by Duncan Fisher we won't be picky and say make them voiced just text ;) ))

#40 trycksh0t

• Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:56 AM

Infantry NPC types would be awesome for certain game modes, I'd love to see that.

In regards to the Intek...never was a fan of laser rifles. Give me a Heston SI-445 (or one of the many knockoffs) and I'm good to go.

For the uninititated, the Heston SI-445 is a Gyrojet rifle, which is virtually silent, recoiless, and launches explosive tipped projectiles up to 500m with no loss in penetration.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users