Weapon visibility depending on weather conditions.

5 replies to this topic

#1 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

I think that different weather/times of day chould have effect on weapon visibilities.
  • Sunny, Clear weather should make lasers less visible and missile smoke trails / gauss projectile trails more visible.
  • Foggy/Dusty/Snowy weather should make lasers more visible and missiles / gauss rounds less visible.
  • Night-time engagements should make lasers and their impacts more visible (the beam, itself, will also be brighter if the air is foggy/dusty/snowy), missile exhaust flames more visible, and include the use of tracer rounds in autocannon and machinegun bursts to assist with aiming.
But I don't know if the level designers can assign different weapon projectile brightness levels simply depending on what map you have loaded. And, I know, lasers should not be visible on a clear night, but this is a game and we have to see teh lazerz!

Why should I bother to suggest this? Well, in many games, the weapons brightness is the same at night as day and the only reason they appear brighter at night is because the background is darker. I think the devs should, if possible and easy enough to not cause hair-loss, actually increase the lasers' brightness at night instead of letting the ambiance make them just seem brighter, and actually reduce the amount of smoke produced by missiles in foggy maps. The extra visual contrast would help deepen immersion a little.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 24 February 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#2 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

besides the fog/smoke making the lasers more visible (which i think maybe already part of the cryengine) the smoke of missiles and other things (crushing buildings and fire) should be affected by wind.

#3 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

if weather conditions are going to affect the brightness wont it affect the damage too. diffusing a laser is a bad thing.

#4 Redclaw

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

Neat idea. Would certainly add to the experience. It could also lead to interesting dynamics with forces trying to retain the advantage of stealth selecting certain weapons for certain conditions.

As for diffusion of lasers, I suspect you would need some pretty significant weather conditions to diffuse the their output over the short distances that they are used in the BT universe. Of course, providing situations that encourage the selection different weapons in heavy rain, or seeing missiles blown off course by the wind could be fun, too, especially if you're fighting in a hurricane.

#5 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

Do we know if we even HAVE weather conditions?

Or are we doing the 'every day sunny day' route because of server performance issues?

oh, and this for the Cats would be awesome (obviously the missiles would be a bit smaller, but should still light the area up).

Edited by Kaemon, 24 February 2012 - 12:05 PM.

#6 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

View PostKaemon, on 24 February 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

Do we know if we even HAVE weather conditions?

Or are we doing the 'every day sunny day' route because of server performance issues?

MWLL has a lot of maps with varying weather and the servers seem to handle it no problems. I have seen snow, heavy snow, light rain, heavy rain, fog. Only one that was a problem was FrostBite and it was one of their first maps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users