Some thoughts on F2P

3 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Osis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 316 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:49 PM

A lot of people are ******** about F2P but I want anyone on either side of this arguement to direct their browser at gamespy (12 am 11-11-11) the first 3 stories are about the following: Everquest 2 Goes Full Free To play, Star Trek Online goes free to play and lastly WoW loses 2 million subscribers(even they have a F2P till lvl20 system but their monthly charge is too high IMO for such an old title).

Food For Thought.

#2 Pan

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

Players hate it but its time to face the facts. F2P is the the way of the MMO now. I think MWO is in a unique position though of being able to launch F2P vs. switching over to F2P like many other MMOs. Hopefully PG will avoid many of the traps that other MMOs have fallen in. Only time will tell.

I have to say I like the idea of F2P because it allows everyone to participate at the level they are able/comfortable with. Got too much time on your hands but too little cash? F2P is good to go. Too busy to dedicate several hours everyday to the game? Throw down some cash and get what you need. The best part of F2P is you don't have to feel like you are paying too much for an old game thats not developed/patched/content expanded often enough like the OP suggests about WOW.

#3 Dozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

'Change and resistance go together like ketchup and fries'

#4 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:19 PM

The subscription system always bothered me. I like PC games where you buy the game (or not, in this case), and play online all you want. No pressure to play to get your money's worth. The first example to pop into my head is TF2. Yes, I know it's F2P now, but it didn't use to be. Anyway, with that, you buy the game, and play as you please. It's always going to be there, your account isn't going to "freeze" or whatever because some subscription ran out. This would be the first (and only) game I would be willing to buy a subscription for, and even then, I'd probably not play it NEARLY as much as I'm going to with this F2P model. And I'm still going to give them money, that's not a question. But I'm not going to feel like I'm losing money if I'm not on every day/week/whatever.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users