LAMs

21 replies to this topic

#1 Charlic Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 124 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

So I know the chances of a Land Air Mech in the game are close to none, but i was wondering... Would you play a land air mech? I started watching robotech, after i got bored messing with MW4, seeing as how i have no multiplayer capabilities (my computers dyiiing) and i dont have access to any of th others. Even though Harmony Gold is a pain, we owe them for a few of our favorite mechs... i personally love the warhammer and marauder with a passion. so i kinda got fascinated with the idea of LAMs. any way, im straying from the question... Would you pilot a LAM?

#2 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

;) Hell no. I would rather pilot an urbanmech. and I would rather commit suicide then pilot an urbanmech. so really I would rather commit suicide then pilot a LAM. XD

#3 Morashtak

• Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

Previous thread with poll should answer this question.

#4 Lorcan Lladd

• 1,037 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

Ah, that wouldn't be my first choice, or my last one, to be completely honest.
But, sure, for the added tactical capacity and the ability to annoy and enrage other players, I could probably be persuaded to pilot one; if such a thing had any chance of ever being implemented on MechWarrior Online, that is.

Which it doesn't.

Right?

#5 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

View PostMorashtak, on 25 February 2012 - 11:13 AM, said:

Previous thread with poll should answer this question.

This does not answer the Question. That poll asked if Quads and LAMs should be brought into MWO. He was asking if you would pilot a LAM.

Yes, I would pilot a LAM. The LAM like almost every other MECH, if used as it was designed, is a great MECH. There are some MECHs that are not designed properly.

I feel that the reasons why most poeple hate certain designs is because they did not use the MECH in question in the role it was designed for.

#6 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

Absolutely! The fighting style is so different from any other mech. I do think that LAMs would be more effective as a single-player or PVE asset however. Using them in deathmatch-style games would be.... problematic.

#7 Kargush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

Short answer: no.

Long answer: %#&@ no.

#8 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

LAMs should be purged completely from the BT galaxy, they have more or less in the novels. I would like to see Aerospace pilotable but not expecting it to happen.

#9 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

Down to the Clan talk you guys go!! ;)

#10 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

Why did you move us down to the clan area? We are not talking about clans?? we are talking about LAMS.

#11 Watchit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

Do not question the word of Paul! ;)

#12 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

The reason this is being moved to OT is because it will not be seen in MWO for a very long time, if at all.

#13 Rabbit Blacksun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 664 posts
  • LocationAround the world ...

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

Ideally ... The only real LAM's that most know about are the clan lams that came later and where based off the original Star League lams, as they where never very common to begin with I can only think that perhaps that was why Paul moved it to clans first, and as he pointed out since it will likely not show up, or if it does it will be a very long time away.

On a side note i don't really count the clan Version as Full LAM's since they could not do a full change over, they where sorta the hybrid shapes, but if you used em on their role they where excellent mechs to have, their major down fall was the fact that their armor was similar to that of aero fighters, but their maneuverability made then an exceptionally difficult target to hit, plus their speed was just about insane ;).

The other down side was their training tree, a pilot had to be versed in both mech and aero skills just to pilot one and to get good at it took time practice and missions just to reach a similar level as a starting mech pilot, or aero space pilot. Lets face it ... most people just don't have that type of patience.

Personally i would love to see them introduced just to see the dynamics that they would add to the battle field, how ever i don't see many sticking with them to truly master their style and type of play. Then again on that note i would love to see player used vehicles and aero fighters as well ... ;)

#14 Charlic Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 124 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

View PostRabbit Blacksun, on 25 February 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

Ideally ... The only real LAM's that most know about are the clan lams that came later and where based off the original Star League lams, as they where never very common to begin with I can only think that perhaps that was why Paul moved it to clans first, and as he pointed out since it will likely not show up, or if it does it will be a very long time away.

On a side note i don't really count the clan Version as Full LAM's since they could not do a full change over, they where sorta the hybrid shapes, but if you used em on their role they where excellent mechs to have, their major down fall was the fact that their armor was similar to that of aero fighters, but their maneuverability made then an exceptionally difficult target to hit, plus their speed was just about insane :).

im talking bout full change over LAMS. Wasps, stingers such and such. they look fun. and to people hating on LAMs and thinking that they should be purged from BT; BT owes a lot to RT which was focused mainly on the LAM concept... i think...

Edited by Peachy Davion, 25 February 2012 - 02:36 PM.

#15 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

Steven Huda (one of the artists for the source books) recently posted a bunch of LAMs from Jihad: Reckoning.
http://stephenhuda.deviantart.com/

Posted Image

Dig deeper into the gallery and you can see his published designs for the reseen LAMs, PHawk, Wasp, etc. from TRO 3085.

Gotta say, I MUCH prefer his newest approach than his first attempts.

#16 pursang

• 1,877 posts
  • LocationSurrey BC, Canada

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:01 AM

Ugh, LAMs.

SUCH a mistake by introducing them in the first place.

Edited by pursang, 26 February 2012 - 02:01 AM.

#17 Tadakuma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

LAMs are pretty silly and they were sidelined from the battletech universe for a reason. They didn't fit the feel of the rest of the game. They were conveniently forgotten and never mentioned for about 15 years.

The only reason they're back is that Catalyst labs is bankrupt of any real ideas or innovation and they needed a hook to sell the latest technical manual.

Personally I hope they never make it into the game, if you want that sort of thing there are plenty of Japanese Anime style big robot games that will have them.

#18 Cold3y3s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

I would pilot a LAM, but I doubt that they have a chance of making it into the game (that whole complete and utter robotech rip-off thing). However if they did I would probably put a Narc beacon on one and proceed to annoy absolutely everyone.

#19 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

Damn Kurita fanboi's labeling Clans as Off Topic, you just jelly we take quarter of your realm and take the FRR which gave you troubles for centuries.

#20 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 26 February 2012 - 05:20 PM, said:

Damn Kurita fanboi's labeling Clans as Off Topic, you just jelly we take quarter of your realm and take the FRR which gave you troubles for centuries.

CoffiNail I made that statement because it was 1st placed into the CLANs area until I questioned the move. Then they moved it to Off Topic.

In the original text book al the houses had LAMs. If my memmory serves me correctly Stiener and Marik had the largest amount of LAMs.

I feel that since they lost the rights and wanted to show those who owned the rights, and, refused budge on the price, that they did not care about the design anymore, so, they had the Clans hate them.

There is a Clan that feels that tankers are equal to mechwarriors, and, can gain a clan name. So, you are saying that there is not one single Clan that would not use the LAMs to their advantage? I am sure several would.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users