Question For The Developers

9 replies to this topic

#1 Jacob Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

Do you know if certain mechs like the Hellstar will come out sooner than the TROs they were introduced in? Basically, am I going to have to wait 35 years until the Hellstar comes out? (TRO: 3085) And this is not only for the Hellstar, but other upcoming mechs like the Tundra Wolf and what not.

#2 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

Unless during lull periods they decide to advance the storyline, yes. You will have to wait,

#3 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

View PostJacob Davion, on 27 February 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

Do you know if certain mechs like the Hellstar will come out sooner than the TROs they were introduced in? Basically, am I going to have to wait 35 years until the Hellstar comes out? (TRO: 3085) And this is not only for the Hellstar, but other upcoming mechs like the Tundra Wolf and what not.

You're probably never going to see the Hellstar. It's an effective, but not very interesting (and rather ugly) mech in any case. If it's as effectrive as it is in the TT game, then you'd see everyone playing using one of those, and it would make for bland play. I don't want uber optimized mechs in the game.

You'll probably just have to make do with an Awesome, which is already a very optimized mech (and far more iconic for the game than the Hellstar)

Edited by verybad, 27 February 2012 - 12:37 PM.

#4 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

It's a question that I pondered recently.

Stick to the "3049 = 2012, 3050 = 2013, etc." setup and there can be a LONG period of time between new content. Being F2P, new content is one of the driving forces to getting a return on investment.

Will be interested in seeing what PGI does here.

#5 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

There are literally THOUSANDS of mechs that can be added. Not all of them are gong to make it.

#6 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

yes but the beauty of the F2P model is it has no development cycle end
you can just add and add and add
and if it gets to the point where your hitting hard limits in old code, you can be developing a sequel or a major overhaul

but there is so many mechs for PGI to choose from
its extremely unlikely to see anything that isnt at least close to the current time lines

#7 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 27 February 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

There's no point in taking the time to model and develop additional Mechs for purchase if next to nobody wants them. They could release Mechs as "Early Access", allowing players who pay to have the Mech 1 month before it becomes an "open" chassis, available for C-Bill purchase through the game.

I'm an *****,. Never even thought of that. Not that I've really given it much thought, but a new 'mech chasis available for pay a month before you can buy it with in game C-Bills is a great money maker.

Kudos.

#8 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 27 February 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

The idea just came to me. A lot of people will buy something with real money if they just get it first, but I didn't want to make it so that the chassis would ever be completely exclusive to players who wanted to use C-bills to buy it; they should always have the chance to do likewise. For the 1 month, they can get their C-bill coffers stuffed so that once the Mech is open for purchase on the free markets, they can get it themselves without any need to spend real money.

Agreed.

And it's not P2W . The game is balanced around the systems,weapons, movement, combat pacing, etc etc . Adding a few new chasis and having them a "limited" resource to those who are willing to pay $5-$10 for early access is briliiant.
The Ooooo me too me too factor alone will sell new chasis, and those who do not want to pay real money only have to save up their C-Bills for a month before they have access to it (Right around the time the next new shineys get released)

Edit: You just know Mason Grimm would be willing to fork out $100 to be able to be the first in the Inner Sphere with access to a Marauder.
Hell, he'd pay that for 5 minutes alone with a Marauder screenshot at this point.

Edited by Helmer, 27 February 2012 - 04:30 PM.

#9 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

I wonder how all the clan Smoke Jaguar players would feel if we lept to year 3061?

#10 nubnub

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationCallison

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

So what will be the rationale for new mech additions? Poll? Bidding? One per house? Random?

Edited by nubnub, 27 February 2012 - 10:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users