Wednesday Hot Drop

Official

304 replies to this topic

#181 Yu Kigono

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

View PostColddawg, on 29 February 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

Wait??? Green is a color of House Marik? I had it pegged as CapCon.
Also why hasn't anyone mentioned about the other three Mechs you can see in this video? Any thoughts on what they are?

While Purple is actually the color of House Marik, this color scheme is used by them. The Leopard dropship seems to be painted in the colors of the Atrean Dragoons brigade, one of the elite units of the Free Worlds League.

Edit: Actually, looking at the unit symbol on the wing, this dropship actually belongs to the 3rd Free Worlds Legionnaires, and I was confused by the similar color scheme of the two units.

Edited by Yu Kigono, 29 February 2012 - 10:05 PM.

#182 David Cardinal

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

Love the DropShip Concept art and the description of the end of Cripes.

#183 Gunmage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

Interesting, the cockpit window looks like it is only one of the "eyes" of Atlas. Does it mean we can have dual cockpit Atlas? =)

#184 Fairseas

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 13 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:42 PM

...a hint of a gameplay mechanic involving hotdrop planning and manuevering, perhaps? :)

#185 Spooky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:19 AM

Hm, unfortunately the trailer is still not available in HD. The 720p and 1080p versions on YouTube look like an upscaled 480p version.

#186 metro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

I would humbly request, that all House Liao Lep's be outfitted with heated/cooled leather bucket seats, and Bose surround sound systems.

:)

#187 Maelik Crowe

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCurrent meatspace coordinates: 32.514539,-93.747733

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:19 AM

The video was cool. I am very excited, but...
Music left a lot to be desired.
That heavy euro metal thing just grabbed me by the throat and
took me out of the game.
It just doesn't fit.

#188 Durahl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:36 AM

Wasn't the actual startup voice sequence of the Boardcomputer like:
Reactor online
Weapons online
All Systems nominal
I guess the change from nominal to online is a little pun on the game's 2nd title?

Btw, anyone notice the other mech beeing maintenanced during the cockpit scene?
Doesn't look like one from the Media Gallery.

#189 Spooky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:41 AM

View PostDurahl, on 01 March 2012 - 01:36 AM, said:

Wasn't the actual startup voice sequence of the Boardcomputer like:
Reactor online
Weapons online
All Systems nominal
I guess the change from nominal to online is a little pun on the game's 2nd title?

Btw, anyone notice the other mech beeing maintenanced during the cockpit scene?
Doesn't look like one from the Media Gallery.

http://mwomercs.com/...ut-the-trailer/

#190 Czarocz

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:12 AM

This is all well and good, but I want to see game play footage, Load outs and **** blowing up..

Edited by Czarocz, 01 March 2012 - 03:13 AM.

#191 BlueDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:14 AM

Fantastic Wednesday update, great video, great story, and new concept art to boot. Great work as always.

#192 Sparksman

• Pip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:18 AM

wow, i got rly ants in the pants, ingame hot drops re huge, thx!

#193 DragonClaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:27 AM

i got one thing to say: FRACKING A MAN!!! be nice to see a start up like that befor each fight. be it a hanger or a hotdrop or even just walking off the dropship in your mech of choice, you know?

#194 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:47 AM

View PostSpooky, on 29 February 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

Drops like that, including the JJ harnesses (isn't there a word for them?) are canon and frequently used in the BattleTech novels for instance.

The "JJ harness" is just an invention made for the novels. It's not written down in the rules.

What is in the rules is that the particular dropship has to stand still for two rounds to make a coordinated drop. Otherwise the dropped mechs will scatter all over the battlefield.

#195 Darrin Thomason

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationBuckingham, UK

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:32 AM

View PostDennis de Koning, on 29 February 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

Jumping from the side door would mean the Mech would have to 'jump' far enough to keep itself from colliding with (and tearing off) the wing of the drop-ship.
Large airdrops are not unusual for airships like the C-130 Hercules, Antonov An-124 Ruslan and the Lockheed C-5 Galaxy; all of which drop from the rear center of the fuselage.
Bomb bay style made obvious sense.

That is all well and good for the Lep, however, how will the hot drops work for the oviod dropships?
One suggestion is that you could have them flying on their side, however, that would mean that the dropship sould not really be able to land on the map (needing to land on its bottom (effectivly)
Another one (this is what I assumed from reading the novels and deals with space drops) is that the mech cacoon is shoved out of the dropship.

What solution have you come up with for this?

#196 Spooky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:16 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 01 March 2012 - 03:47 AM, said:

The "JJ harness" is just an invention made for the novels. It's not written down in the rules.

What is in the rules is that the particular dropship has to stand still for two rounds to make a coordinated drop. Otherwise the dropped mechs will scatter all over the battlefield.

"Canon" for the BattleTech universe extends beyond the rules of the actual tabletop, naturally :).

Anway: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Jump_jet

For 'Mechs that do not fit jump jets, a 'Mech jump pack may be mounted externally to the rear of a 'Mech to provide limited jump capability or breaking thrust to allow a 'Mech to be dropped.

And these are also used in the BattleTech rules: http://www.sarna.net...7Mech_Jump_Pack (even though they might not have to be used for drops. Possibly because a "hot drop" doesn't exist in the tabletop in the first place?)

View PostDarrin Thomason, on 01 March 2012 - 04:32 AM, said:

That is all well and good for the Lep, however, how will the hot drops work for the oviod dropships?
One suggestion is that you could have them flying on their side, however, that would mean that the dropship sould not really be able to land on the map (needing to land on its bottom (effectivly)
Another one (this is what I assumed from reading the novels and deals with space drops) is that the mech cacoon is shoved out of the dropship.

What solution have you come up with for this?

There probably is no good solution for this, other than hot drops being restricted to Leopard class DropShips. In the novels, whenever Mechs are ejected from ovoid DropShips, either for a HotDrop, or because it is about to be falling apart, it's never written in great detail what's happening, as far as I remember. I don't think they ever literally wrote, that they step out the door themselves.

Edited by Spooky, 01 March 2012 - 05:20 AM.

#197 Mighty Midget

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:22 AM

Fantastic all around. I don't think we've ever gotten art for the inside of a dropship and that Leopard looks awesome.
Any chance of making the video available for download in HD?

#198 Brakkyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:33 AM

View PostDennis de Koning, on 29 February 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

Jumping from the side door would mean the Mech would have to 'jump' far enough to keep itself from colliding with (and tearing off) the wing of the drop-ship.
Large airdrops are not unusual for airships like the C-130 Hercules, Antonov An-124 Ruslan and the Lockheed C-5 Galaxy; all of which drop from the rear center of the fuselage.
Bomb bay style made obvious sense.

...hey...who are you?? Your tag says "Staff", but you're not Inoyue...you're not Eckman...where'd you come from!? Are you a spy?? ARE YOU A BLAKIST??? Help! Help! I need a First Circuit Precentor!

Edited by Brakkyn, 01 March 2012 - 05:33 AM.

#199 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:41 AM

View PostSpooky, on 01 March 2012 - 05:16 AM, said:

Anway: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Jump_jet
And these are also used in the BattleTech rules: http://www.sarna.net...7Mech_Jump_Pack (even though they might not have to be used for drops. Possibly because a "hot drop" doesn't exist in the tabletop in the first place?)

The thing is, there are no rules for "breaking thrust" (at least not in the master rules, gotte check level 3 rules). The pilot just makes two pilot rolls, one to see if he can keep his mech "on target", the second to see if he lands safely.

#200 Spooky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:58 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 01 March 2012 - 05:41 AM, said:

The thing is, there are no rules for "breaking thrust" (at least not in the master rules, gotte check level 3 rules). The pilot just makes two pilot rolls, one to see if he can keep his mech "on target", the second to see if he lands safely.

The point was, that canonically, such Jump-Jets Packs are used for drops in the BattleTech universe, regardless of what you are doing in the tabletop game.

Edited by Spooky, 01 March 2012 - 05:58 AM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users