Pricing previous LosTech

13 replies to this topic

#1 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:05 AM

While I'm unsure how 'mech customization will work (mechlab, variants, etc.) one thing I am sure about is that being 3049, a lot of tech that was previously considered LosTech is now available to players - Gauss, ER weapons, Ultra ACs, LBX/20s, etc.

In fact, this is part of why I say setting the game in 3049 was the best possible choice: All the tech people really associate with the series is, for the most part, present; but the majority of units in this time period are still sporting the kind of thing you'd find in 3025 and will do so for the next decade.

As a result, the suggestion is basically to price anything that was previously LosTech much higher, in terms of atmopshere, and possibly regulate the prices with each expansion / jump in time to balance for the new factors. I'd really like to see a huge price jump in owning a Hunchback with an AC/20 and a Hunchback with an Ultra AC/20.

Doing this will also help balance weapons that otherwise become outdated; while some maintain a niche (non-ER Medium Lasers are much more heat effective) some just become outdated (Standard ACs) so representing this by a huge c-bill investment would do wonders.

Anyway, just a suggestion but that's what this forum is for.

#2 Randal Waide

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 217 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:20 AM

I like the point. Starting in a 3025 tech mech would give players the push to buy stuff with actuall money. I think "rolling down" the costs of Lostech will also keep players who grind the missions from dropping because all the trust-fund babies have all the Lostech available. That being said, the occasional salvage drop of that Ultra AC 20 would make a great story in your Mechwarrior's career. And beating the "trust fund babies in their shiny Lostech Mechs should give a Merc Unit a +1 With their Dragoon Rating. :)

I think you may have hit on how Pirannah will make profits with their F2P model.

#3 Nerts

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

View PostRandal Waide, on 01 March 2012 - 08:20 AM, said:

I like the point. Starting in a 3025 tech mech would give players the push to buy stuff with actuall money. I think "rolling down" the costs of Lostech will also keep players who grind the missions from dropping because all the trust-fund babies have all the Lostech available. That being said, the occasional salvage drop of that Ultra AC 20 would make a great story in your Mechwarrior's career. And beating the "trust fund babies in their shiny Lostech Mechs should give a Merc Unit a +1 With their Dragoon Rating. :)

I think you may have hit on how Pirannah will make profits with their F2P model.

The devs have already said you wont be able to buy things that give you an in-game advantage, they're not going to let you throw money at them to get better guns instantly.

#4 Will Hung

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationBohol Island

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

View PostNerts, on 01 March 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

The devs have already said you wont be able to buy things that give you an in-game advantage, they're not going to let you throw money at them to get better guns instantly.

Good to know. I hope they stick with this policy.

#5 Randal Waide

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 217 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

I know and agree, but Lostech is currently available in time frame. Rare, but available. I personally plan to grind missions. Cuz I like the competitive atmosphere.
They havn't released versions that I have seen of the mechs they currently have released, so I guess there could be Streaks, pulses, ultras, -X, ferro-fibrous, endo-steel, and XL in some variations. But refits? Will that be through c-bills? If you have a turn of bad luck it would seem the 3025 would be cheaper than Lostech, and more readily available. I'm not sure being able to purchase what is in the game would be an advantage to anyone but the players with large amounts of disposable income.
I guess that could be handled with salvage drops and the like. But I feel sorry for and hope I won't be a member of the "Bad Luck Brigade".

#6 TheRulesLawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

That's not quite true. You won't be able to buy things exclusively for cash that have in game effect. We already know you can buy mechs with real money if you want. That means the welfare warriors will have to grind a little longer to get stuff, but they'll still get it.

#7 Randal Waide

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 217 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

View PostTheRulesLawyer, on 01 March 2012 - 10:36 AM, said:

That's not quite true. You won't be able to buy things exclusively for cash that have in game effect. We already know you can buy mechs with real money if you want. That means the welfare warriors will have to grind a little longer to get stuff, but they'll still get it.

I hope you are right. I will stay with this game till they pry my cold dead fingers off my joystick if it doesn't become pay2win. I really would like to see how it's going to work, but I guess I'll have to wait until summer (fingers crossed)

#8 Nerts

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

With some parts and weapons, it seems like it'd be too big a advantage. I guess they could smooth it out by making some things not available for cash? Or perhaps considerably more expensive than minor advantages.

Edited by Nerts, 01 March 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#9 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

View PostNerts, on 01 March 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

With some parts and weapons, it seems like it'd be too big a advantage. I guess they could smooth it out by making some things not available for cash? Or perhaps considerably more expensive than minor advantages.

We have to assume the devs have half a brain and balance mechs by something similar to BV. That means a player with a hot lostech mech is going to be rocking less support. Some mechs are going to be simply better. Especially once we get to clans. No avoiding it. They've said there will be zero grinding barrier to stepping into any mech in the game. That means day 1 you're going to see whatever the most expensive mechs are on the field.

#10 TimberJon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

I hope that they implement paid options for access to something. If it is weapons, it should be 12 or 20 weapons. So that once we pay for that extra ability, it would be pretty even for all of us who choose to pay and go up a notch. It could be for anything that we have suggested, but in categories. They could release 'Mechs and maps and weapons on a regular say, monthly basis or so. But then run a poll on which 'Mech should be developed next, and then charge you $3-5 or so to add it to your collection. I will pay I think pricing will depend greatly on existing venture capital, and budgets forbcontinued development, marketing and the most critical factor: How many MechWarriors there are playing the game and the rate at which the game gathers new pilots.

#11 FinnMcKool

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

Where did you see you can buy a Mech for real cash???

truth is its a mystery how they will get real cash, there hasnt been anything confirmed as far as I know.

but it has been stated over and over again there will not be any advantage from stuff you buy.
what that means, I dont really know, most people think you will only buy stuff thats cosmetic .(hula girl/cabana boy)

#12 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

View PostFinnMcKool, on 01 March 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

Where did you see you can buy a Mech for real cash???

truth is its a mystery how they will get real cash, there hasnt been anything confirmed as far as I know.

but it has been stated over and over again there will not be any advantage from stuff you buy.
what that means, I dont really know, most people think you will only buy stuff thats cosmetic .(hula girl/cabana boy)

It was in like 5-6 interviews just prior to xmas. Old news.

#13 TimberJon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

Yea what?? nothing is in stone other than what they put in writing. Even a teaser video may show elements that could be tossed out and changed. That's why they are being a constant presence in the forums.

#14 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

View PostTimberJon, on 01 March 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

Yea what?? nothing is in stone other than what they put in writing. Even a teaser video may show elements that could be tossed out and changed. That's why they are being a constant presence in the forums.

Game is still in alpha. Lots of stuff is may change. Business model probably not a whole lot. That's one of the cornerstones of your initial planning.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users