In-Character Guidelines You'd Like To See

14 replies to this topic

#1 SwordofLight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

In the really real world I have no house affiliation. This is just a game, and as long as I've got a mech I'm happy. I'm not even sure I've even played as Kurita, and my last major campaign involved a pair of mercenary lances fighting to gain access to a Star League cache on a border world between Marik and Steiner. I've only read one or two of the novels, and I dont think I owned a source book that wasnt a technical readout.

But, joining this site as Sword_of_Light, I figured that I'd have to at least try to live up to the name. I've always viewed the SOL regiments as not necessarily the best pilots the DK has to offer, but the most earnestly fanatical. These are the guys that make the DK Kempeitai nervious, because they're just that fanatically devoted to the Emperor.

I've therefore posted in two voices - this one, the battletech player - and as the Kurita fanatic. Which has been enourmously fun - its been like writing propaganda for the Soviet Union - but I realized recently as I was doing my best Molotov impersonation, that it might be good to point out that I was in character. It might seem obvious, but obvious and internet dont always go well together.

I know other sites have ways of conveying these two voices - such as posting IC or OOC before the main text. My question is, then, do we need such a system, and if so, what would you like to see?

-Don

#2 Atlai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

i guess you could say at the beginning of what ur writeing and say if its the player or the fanatic?

#3 Major Tom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationIncomming!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

I suggest having two accounts.
Since Sword_of_Light probably isn't an indvidual, that would be a good OOC account. While an actual pilot name like "Tsu do Nigm" would be more appropriate for IC dialog.

#4 EDMW CSN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

Keep an ooc account and a in character name.
This is definitely my OOC account :)

Edited by [EDMW]CSN, 02 March 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#5 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

View PostMajor Tom, on 02 March 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

I suggest having two accounts.
Since Sword_of_Light probably isn't an indvidual, that would be a good OOC account. While an actual pilot name like "Tsu do Nigm" would be more appropriate for IC dialog.

I'd have to throw a little cold water on that one. Multiple accounts are discouraged by the Code of Conduct. My advice is to keep the roleplaying to the Fan Fiction forum.

#6 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

Beware S_O_L. :D

I talked in character and some people view me as a troll. I'm at the top of the "most wanted" heads in a bunch of merc groups. I'm the first most Davions and Steiners will shoot at and even some Mariks don't like the way I see their "purple". :mellow:

The career of RP-er is very hard, are you sure you want to do it? :)

#7 SI The Joker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 728 posts
  • LocationBehind you!

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

I would say... just make sure you are clear that you are roleplaying

<RP ON>
I spit on the grounds of House Marik! May they all rot in the heat of a thousand suns! :mellow:
<RP OFF>

Do it however you want to really... just be clear would be my suggestion. :)

#8 SwordofLight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

You know, I like the suggestion of using slashtags like

/RP

since I already do that for off-topic posts that occationally crop up, saying

/hijack

As to the most wanted - I sort of figured I'd be painting a bullseye on my forehead - but since I am Sword of Light, I'm already wearing the sash with the rising sun, so I'm not worried. Really - I thought that posting as the 'villian' would be fun, but it would be like being an ardant and vocal arty-hater in World of Tanks. Pretty soon, everyone wants you dead.

But, since thats the whole point, I'm not that worried.

-Don

#9 WerewolfX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 501 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

View PostAdridos, on 02 March 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

Beware S_O_L. :)

I talked in character and some people view me as a troll. I'm at the top of the "most wanted" heads in a bunch of merc groups. I'm the first most Davions and Steiners will shoot at and even some Mariks don't like the way I see their "purple". :)

lol I have to disagree. I have many players I have on my hit list that have annoyed me your not on there.......yet........

#10 GDL Irishwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

View PostSword_of_Light, on 03 March 2012 - 08:38 AM, said:

You know, I like the suggestion of using slashtags like

/RP

since I already do that for off-topic posts that occationally crop up, saying

/hijack

As to the most wanted - I sort of figured I'd be painting a bullseye on my forehead - but since I am Sword of Light, I'm already wearing the sash with the rising sun, so I'm not worried. Really - I thought that posting as the 'villian' would be fun, but it would be like being an ardant and vocal arty-hater in World of Tanks. Pretty soon, everyone wants you dead.

But, since thats the whole point, I'm not that worried.

-Don

Bloody Snake... :)

Edited by GDL Irishwarrior, 03 March 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#11 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

View PostWerewolfX, on 03 March 2012 - 09:04 AM, said:

lol I have to disagree. I have many players I have on my hit list that have annoyed me your not on there.......yet........

I never expected to **** any of them off. Well, Daviots, but that's all. :)

#12 Ray Mason

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

As to the actual game the first thing is to make channels (if not servers) with specific rules. You need channels like OOC, Relax RP, RP-PvP, HCRP and then you can talk about channel-specific rules about naming and so on. If you're talking about the forums then it's nearly the same, OOC and RP sections.

#13 Alaskan Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationPalin Prime, Capital of the Alaskan Federation of Planets

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PostAdridos, on 02 March 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

Beware S_O_L. :)

I talked in character and some people view me as a troll. I'm at the top of the "most wanted" heads in a bunch of merc groups. I'm the first most Davions and Steiners will shoot at and even some Mariks don't like the way I see their "purple". :)

Don't lie and say you're just Role playing! I know the truth about you, you're a GLA spy sent here to gather information on secret EU mech tank designs! :)

#14 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

/rp on, /rp off is what you should use while posting unless its in a specifically rp-reserve forum where its assumed.

#15 Silent

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

Maybe petition Kyle Polulak to implement some roleplaying specific BBCode for use in the Mechwarrior Online Universe and Battletech forums.

Have something like [ rp ] [ /rp ] that could work similar to [ quote ] [ /quote] where it puts whatever you say in a stylized box and this would be considered In-Character. It would probably be good to make it slightly different visually from quoting someone though, so you can tell the difference.

A variation could be [ rp="name" ] [ /rp ] so you can enter different names and roleplay different people if you wanted to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users