Joystick Control Config

12 replies to this topic

#1 MarauderX

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

I have noticed that when using a joystick for the game, the button config refuses to save properly.
The invert Y axis doesn't seen to work either and the lack of an in game calibration is required for effective and rewarding play. Not being abel to:
1) Save a custom config
2) Invert Y axis
3) Control look speed

Puts a user like me at an unfortunate disadvantage and therefore forces me into a keyboard and mouse control setup that I personally feel misrepresents the mechanics of the game.

Can we maybe look into this?

As a long time player of Mechwarrior games, the stick and throttle has always been a staple for me and I'm sure a lot of other players as well.

-MarauderX

#2 Razor Fist

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:16 AM

I have to fully agree with this, I've tried hard to use a joystick setup but the lack of a sensitivity setting for the joystick controls is almost crippling, trying to do something like a full rotation while standing in place takes with my joystick almost 8x longer than with a keyboard or mouse. Some kind of calibration or sensitivity setting is needed for those of us not wanting to be bound to keyboard and mouse input.

#3 Redleg1096

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

I'm having issues with saving the Joystick config also. It appears to save in the Options section, but in the game, it's still default.
Can't switch weapons, target or anything with my stick. Even the throttle is backward. Is there a guide somewhere to writing a custom user config file? Need to know all the commands.

#4 Stickjock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:00 AM

Maybe to get proper support...

all THREE of you should check the Beta Support section... seriously... didn't ONE of the three of you read the NDA when you agreed to it??

#5 Ghost1515

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

There is a solution to the throttle and invert y-axis problem. Search the forums, you will find a simple set of lines to add to your user.cfg file. The invert y- axis button in the setup menu does work but it only inverts the mouse axis not the joystick. I hope this helps, and if anyone finds a solution to the disadvantage of using a stick over the mouse please let me know.

#6 Maachiine

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

i started playing this game today. i could save the custom buttons on the joystick but the invert y didnt do anything. my throttle control is backwards. i also hate having to hit a button to go into reverse. which is completely unlike the original mechwarrior games. and the extreme lack of sensitivity sucks hard. i have a logitech extreme 3d pro.

whats the NDA you speak of stickjock? i'll look into the beta support section. i even emailed support about the issues. see what their response will be.

#7 nungunz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 612 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

Check the post date. NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) was for closed beta.

Joystick support is currently very limited and is fairly low on the totem pole of issues......and honestly probably won't get a ton of focus. Keyboard and Mouse tends to rule in online games.

#8 kf envy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 590 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

keyboard and mouse may rule most FPS, RTS and MMO. but they fail horribly at flight sim and all past battleteck/mechwarrior games. i dont even use my keyboard or mouse to drive in battlefield3 it just feels wrong driving with the keyboard there is such a lack of controll over speed and turning rate. so being able to use a joystick in MWO is a make or brake it deal for me

#9 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

I tried my Nostromo and Mouse the first week of Closed Beta and hated it. I swore I would never play MWO with this setup because it seems so contrived and artificial, like flying a 747 with a Mouse.

So I made my Joystick work without the aid of analog turning (which is coming soon) making final aiming allignments with twist and tilt of the upper torso (Y and RZ axii are analog now) or just leading my targets and letting them walk into my firing point. I keep the Mouse handy in case it is needed but usually it's not. In brawls to medium range it's all Joystick where it's nimbleness pays off.

I use a Logitech 3d Force Pro which has a very good profiler for fine tuning as well as using MWO's User.CFG.

It's important to know that in the User.cfg, setting the Gain higher increases the Mechs twist/pitch speed from full swings of the Joystick axii. Increasing the Sensitivity setting will make the small Joystick movements respond slower and more accurately. Takes a bit of fiddling, but you get a responsive Mech in the end.

The idea that a Joystick is not competitive is bull. The joystick makes up for lower accuracy with better manuvering. To get it working in MWO takes some study and adjusting and practice, but over the course of a few days you get things set right.

My current User.cfg file:

cl_joystick_gain = 7
cl_joystick_sensitivity = 1.7
cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0
cl_joystick_invert_throttle = 0
cl_joystick_invert_pitch = 0
cl_joystick_invert_yaw = 0
cl_joystick_invert_turn = 0
I_joystick_deadzone = 0.077
I_joystick_buffered = 0

The user.cfg file goes in your C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online folder.

This is dependent on your other Joystick settings so most likely you will want to adjust it to fit your stick. Like the Sensitivity is high in my cfg here, but countered in my joystick's profiler.

Only other thing I have run across is MWO's Digital Turn is so snappy you need to make the Deadzone a little larger than you would in other games. MWO's axii are all independent of each other, but if the Turn axii gets bumped the Mech turns fast, skewing your aim.

Also, the "C" key will recenter your torso, legs, arms in a second so keep that handy.

Edited by Lightfoot, 21 January 2013 - 04:29 AM.

#10 oxymoron2005

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

Hi,
Should have a Joystick Movement, Twist and Button Calibration Screen.
(There should be an invert axis for all movement base control, namely x-axis, y-axis, twist, slider)

Is it possible also to allow using the y-axis to control throttle. (Just an idea)
Front = throttle forward
Back = throttle backward

Like that we can setup the joystick as navigation control and mouse as aim control.

Hope my imput can help improve the game.

#11 Flying Judgement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 475 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

SO joystick is NOT Supported to put it short . I make a topic with this name and keep it up as long as its relevant, so ppl will know its not the time for joystick testing.

i just bought a joystick for this game lol ill bring it back tomorrow to the shop till they fix it ;) im veeerrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy saaaaadddddddddddddddddd
Well i cant complain its the price of beta testing the game isn't finished yet.

#12 Flying Judgement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 475 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

So i found an almost complete work around
Easy and simple u need to find out which button is which. Its time consuming but ok. Go in the option and disable every button one by one by pressing one joystick button all the time on different functions so there isnt any interference.

couldn't make throttle and spinning the stick right or left working proper u should try keeping these functions from options but throttle isn't working backward. Yet.

after i set up everything waooo its really hard to play with a joystick XD LOL but i wont give up! or maybe i should just upgrade my pc.

Edited by Flying Judgement, 26 January 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#13 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

I have been using a Joystick to play MWO since last June. You can read my above post to see how I set it up. MWO does need Analog Turning desperately, but we are in the minority on how desperately MWO needs it. Obviously if you use a Mouse and Pad/Keyboard your need is less than none, you might even fear the added competition.

Nevertheless I go and rack up the kills with a joystick everyday. If my team plays as a team I'll get 2 to 6 kills a match with a Joystick.

I think I tried Joy-2-Key once years ago but it didn't offer Analog movement. MWO does have Analog Twist and Tilt of the Mech's Torso, we just need Turning, you just need to fiddle with the User.cfg file to get smoother movements and use a slightly larger deadzone than you normally would so you don't accidently bump the Turn Axis when aiming.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users