A question about the Inner Sphere

13 replies to this topic

#1 ryuasiu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:38 PM

So I have been into MechWarrior since MW2. The games would talk about the inner sphere but never actually showed it. I never really got into the table top till this year at GenCon where they had a table set up to teach players how to play. I liked it a lot and ended up picking up the intro box. Inside this box was a really cool map of the IS. I was looking at it and it and after also reading the core books it seems like earth is in the middle. But earth is not in the middle of the galaxy.

So...did the makers put Earth in the middle of the galaxy (when its not) or is the IS just in relation to where Earth is and only a small section of the galaxy?

#2 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

Small section of the galaxy. ;)

#3 Tramalhas

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

Yes, the inner sphere is just a small part of the galaxy.
Posted Image

#4 Thom Frankfurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

I imagine that Terra is in the center because when the planets were being colonized the settlers spread out in a circluar pattern, hence the rough 'sphere' shape

#5 Rorik Thrumsalr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

The latter is correct. Earth is the center of the inner sphere, abount 900LY across with about 2000 colonized planets. The Inner sphere is located more or less on the Perseus arm of the mily way. If you look at the typical orientation of the inner sphere on maps drawing a line from Earth through the FRR (being the 12:00 position) will lead you "Coreward" with 3:00 being "Anti-Spinward" 6:00 being "outward" and finally 9:00 being "Spinward"

Here's a tidbit. Mechwarrior 2 actually takes place in the Inner sphere. Those planets have been occupied by clan forces, but the population are for the most part spheroids.

#6 Trooper60709

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNext To Yours

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

It's just how humans went away from earth

#7 ryuasiu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

View PostTramalhas, on 23 September 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

Yes, the inner sphere is just a small part of the galaxy.
Posted Image

Oh wow thanks! that really puts it in perspective. I would have thought that they knew +25 years ago they would know we were not at the center of the galaxy but I was not sure. There was not really anything good in the books saying if it was the case or not. I kind of wish they had a picture like this either in the books or on the poster map.

#8 Arctic Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 427 posts
  • LocationLuyten 68-28

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

View Postryuasiu, on 23 September 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

Oh wow thanks! that really puts it in perspective. I would have thought that they knew +25 years ago they would know we were not at the center of the galaxy but I was not sure. There was not really anything good in the books saying if it was the case or not. I kind of wish they had a picture like this either in the books or on the poster map.

Well, most BattleTech maps do have a legend showing galactic directions, which should indicate that Terra is not at the center of the galaxy.

#9 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

The Earth is roughly in the center of populated space. since humanity spread outward in jumpships in roughly equal distance in all directions; Thusly the populated region becomes a large, mostly circular region centering on Earth.

#10 ryuasiu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

View PostArctic Fox, on 23 September 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

Well, most BattleTech maps do have a legend showing galactic directions, which should indicate that Terra is not at the center of the galaxy.

Was not in any of the stuff that came with the intro box and was not in the total warfare core book. Maybe in the second core book but I have not picked that up yet.

#11 Arctic Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 427 posts
  • LocationLuyten 68-28

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

View Postryuasiu, on 23 September 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

Was not in any of the stuff that came with the intro box and was not in the total warfare core book. Maybe in the second core book but I have not picked that up yet.

Both the 3067 map in the Box Set and the maps in Total Warfare have the same legend showing the various galactic directions, with 'Corewards' on it indicating the direction to the center of the galaxy.

#12 Telecleez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 198 posts
  • LocationLost in the void

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

Posted Image

#13 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:17 PM

Many months ago there was a thread that had several maps showing how the Inner Sphere lined up in the Milky Way. I cannot find it anymore.

#14 ryuasiu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:56 AM

View PostArctic Fox, on 23 September 2012 - 05:06 PM, said:

Both the 3067 map in the Box Set and the maps in Total Warfare have the same legend showing the various galactic directions, with 'Corewards' on it indicating the direction to the center of the galaxy.

Putting 'Coreward' on a compass rose does not really make it clear. What Trama posted made it crystal clear. I wish there was something like that in the books, or if not a pretty picture at least something in text. All I could find is that basically humanity spread from Earth. Like I said I know where Earth is in reality but I have seen way to many sci-fi stuff from 70's-80's screw things up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users