Minimum Requeriments? (MWO being friendly with old pcs)

41 replies to this topic

#1 Jumbo Machine

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

Well, i know that there is not current minimum requeriments, but they have planned to be "friendly" with old specs pcs?

#2 Boymonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 772 posts
  • LocationUK Yorkshire (from Manchester)

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

Looking at the trailer and the physics I reckon I may have to get a new pc for this game :P

#3 Sarah Dalrymple

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSkye March, Hesperus II

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

Indeed. And I have a standard 3 button mouse. I've seen what some of you other players have, and I am in awe and also terrified at the same time! Between me and my husband we are going to be perpetually broke to keep up with a good portion of the other gamers on the field, but it will be fun! :P

#4 HeavensDaemon

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

MW:O uses the Crytek 3 engine which is the same one that Crysis 2 uses so you might need an upgrade.

#5 Jumbo Machine

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

well, that kinda sucks (for me anyway), i mean for a free 2 play game, they should have in mind more "reach".

#6 Lyon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLumberton, MS

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

well, that kinda sucks (for me anyway), i mean for a free 2 play game, they should have in mind more "reach".

I disagree, for three reasons:

1. It's Mechwarrior, so we have high expectations of it. The more real it looks, the better.

2. After 10 years of no new games, the PC requirements SHOULD be higher than those of the old MW4.

3. I built a steel Battlemech 6 feet tall, stuffed a brand new gaming PC into it, and MWO had damn well better live up to the work I just did.

But mostly #1...

Edited by Lyon, 07 March 2012 - 07:53 PM.

#7 Namwons

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 546 posts
  • LocationFactory, Solaris VII

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

Pics of your mech pc tower plz.

#8 EDMW CSN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

As long you can run Crysis 2, it should work. I mean even consoles can run Crysis 2 but their graphical prowess ain't that great.
So the CryEngine 3 is scalable enough but still, it is good to get a card with some juice.

FYI Crysis 2 can be played on a mere Geforce 8800 and that card is ancient by modern standards !

#9 GDL Germ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

Maybe you all complaining should upgrade your pc to modern tech? Or don't play the game, they shouldn't have to limit peoples systems(or the engine) to cater to people who refuse to upgrade. I don't even have a job or anything(yes I built and payed for my computer) and I have a up to date pc.

Edited by GDL Germ, 07 March 2012 - 08:04 PM.

#10 Lyon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLumberton, MS

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

View PostNamwons, on 07 March 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

Pics of your mech pc tower plz.

In the Fan Art section, actually:

http://mwomercs.com/...n-welded-steel/

@GDL Germ: YOU TELL 'EM!

#11 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

View PostJumbo Machine, on 07 March 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

Not really... MWO, Tribes, PlanetSide, just to name a few. You have a ton of reasons to upgrade your computer if you have to because unlike the heyday of PC gaming you're not spending $50 a pop on these games plus subscriptions, they're free and looking great. This is one of those good times to build a good PC because you at least wont have to spend that money on the games unless you want to.

Besides...this engine can run on consoles of all things. If you can't even keep up with those dinosaurs then I assume you must do a lot of maintenance on your Commodore 64 to keep it in shape. ;)

#12 EDMW CSN

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

I ran this setup for BF3 (maxed for SP, high for MP), Crysis 2 (DX11 + HDR both SP & MP) and Serious Sam 3. Frames were mostly capable staying at the 40 to 60 mark.

Should be enough. Don't mind the cables, I re-did them later ;)

Posted Image

#13 Sinitron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDjevelens Bakende Kanal

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

My computer is a year and a half old, most of the parts predating that - it's more than capable of running Crysis 2, and it's only a mid-end system (bang for buck philosophy) which I assembled myself. The only things that could be a concern is the inability to upgrade the i5 processor as they discontinued the chips that were compatible with my motherboard, and I might need a tad bit more RAM, which is cheap. Aside from my concerns with the processor, there are a number of simple steps I could take to vastly improve performance - I could get another graphics card of the same type and SLI-link it, more RAM, and more hard drives, but none of these should be required for MWO unless it is very poorly optimized.

Generally, a computer is considered acceptable for no more than 3-4 years, at which point it will largely be outdated and you might as well get a new one instead of trying to upgrade older components, mainly because of motherboards. You could probably keep any hard drives, though. If you have a mac, you're SOL either way.

Also, keep in mind that you can retain your mouse and keyboard still, and my monitor was a display model which I got for 75% off, quite a good deal.

#14 Jumbo Machine

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

View PostKaryudo-ds, on 07 March 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

You have a ton of reasons to upgrade your computer

Not really, think about how many people are casual players or better yet people who recently knows this game(talking about the whole franchise) have "old" pcs, and by old i don't mean the ENIAC. i think they are losing a good slice of the cake right there, if they are aiming only to the stablished fanbase.

#15 Lyon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLumberton, MS

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

It would not be worthy of any developer to dumb down a simulation game to the level of a machine that's only good enough for Bejeweled and the like. In all seriousness, I think the devs are doing a fine job of it, and I think you worry too much. You'll be able to game with the rest of us, and I'll be able to give you all my expended ammo as a welcome gift. So many good things from just one game!

#16 Namwons

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 546 posts
  • LocationFactory, Solaris VII

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

Move past windows xp suppurt imo. It needs to di already

#17 FinnMcKool

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

If your thinking you need more PC , think about the Video card and the Power supply to drive it , thats all you probably need

truth is Hard ware is way ahead of software right now so we are all in luck.

#18 Shalmyan Moonsong

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

If your computer is more then 3 years old, you might have to spend some money on a new computer, if it is less then 3 years old, maybe a more RAM and a new video card will pull it off.

IF you are hoping to play this game game on that "NEW" computer you got last year built by a friend for you out of spare parts, that can run ZUMA and play solitaire, get online and check your email, chances are that will not cut it, my GF got a "NEW" rebuilt computer last year, and since she thought it was new to her, she thought it was "NEW" but it was 1.5ghz Pentium 3 with a 25 gig hard drive. Good thing it was free.

This is a modern game, and you will need at least a 500 dollar wal-mart level Dell or Samsung computer to run this game, to run this game even somewhat effectively, you do not need to be one of these college gamers who spend half of their living money on a gaming rig, but you can't be using a 4-10 year old computer and expect to be able to play this game with ANY level of enjoyment, the game will run slow and look like crap, then you will be back on this forum upset about it, then someone will ask you your system specs, and you will tell them, provided you can even figure out what they are. If you don't know how to find out if your system meets the game specs when the game specs are released, then you need to find out that information, and if you don't meet the RECOMMENDED specs, not the minimum specs, but the RECOMMENDED. Then you might need to upgrade. Game developers are not designing games to run on 2-10 year old computers.

This is technology, computers advance, and so do games, advance with them or have fun playing pac-man on your emulator.

#19 Sir Iron Duke

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

Actually, it´s a good question. Will be MW:O a graphics card killing machine with the Crysis Engine? (actually I don´t understand the logic behind it´s introduction, the engine used in W40k Space Marine is very good and doesn´t have the fame of the Crysis engine)
NOTE FOR DEVELOPERS: Bring the hardware requirements soon!!!. With that info, everyone will know what to do about the game.

#20 guardiandashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

often the system requirements are not released until just before the game is released because frankly things are usually in flux until that point. Note this is not a criticism. it can be because the developers are fine tuning things (to see if they can cram a little more "game" in with a little less performance needed (optimization) or adding (enabling) a feature that was buggy and got pinned down "at the last minute" that either requires the requirements to go up, or fixes an issue that allows the requirements to go down.

with that in mind I will say that very often any hardware more then ~3-5 years is unlikely to give an optimal experience. This does not mean that you will not be able to play the game, but that your frame rates may be poor (leading to slow reaction times and in some cases "teleporting enemies" due to lag and refreshes) or you having to turn the graphics down significantly degrading the experience in many ways.

one thing that saved mechwarrior 2 on my obsolecient pc at the time was a display mode available in that game called "enhanced imaging" this eliminated ALL of the standard graphics and reduced everything to something that looked like an old atari arcade game called "battlezone" which was all simple shapes lines and planes. frankly for many (most) players today that would likely be unacceptable as it seems everyone wants their "eye candy" my point however is that if you don't meet or exceed the recomended specs you will be unlikely to have a GREAT experience

27 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 27 guests, 0 anonymous users