Mech Of The Week Challenge Week 3

12 replies to this topic

#1 Scodo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:31 AM

The rules of the thread are simple:
The Mech should fit in with the theme, or be related in some way through either the visual design or the employment on the battlefield.

The Mech should be something you draw specifically for the challenge, not something you already had lying around.

Art can be 2D, 3D, in any medium you prefer. They can be rough sketches, vector line art, full color, what have you. ALL SKILL LEVELS ARE WELCOME!!!

WIP shots are allowed, but please keep the thread clean and only poster another WIP if you have made significant progress.

This weeks theme: Junkyard Hybrid. Your mech must incorporate identifiable parts of at least 2 preexisting mechs.

#2 Daekar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:04 AM

Oooh... this one's gonna be hard.  Will have to think a while and reference Sarna!

EDIT: So I've been thinking and making rough sketches, and this is an interesting challenge. It forces you to examine what the signature shapes and features of different mechs are. How do you make sure it's identifiable when it could be from any mech? So far I've chosen a Hunchback torso, an arm from a Longbow and a Rifleman, and the legs/feet of a Catapult. I'm going to have to fudge the scales of each part to make it look right, I think. Not sure, it's so hard to tell how big things are in the Sarna pictures.What is everybody else thinking?

Edited by Daekar, 15 November 2012 - 06:15 PM.

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

Not finished yet, but this one is sort of the "Original MadCat"
(OM... Original MadCat... OM, Orignial MadCat... yo)

Anyhow, due to the chassis starting life at some point, as a Catapult, I feel "Junkyard Dog" to be offensive of it's dignity....

Hence I present, the "AlleyCat"
Posted Image
This fine Warmachine started life as a CPLT-K2, in the Draconis Cobmine, owned and piloted by a Mechwarrior Family of Rasalhagian descent. This mech is over 300 years old, and is nearing the end of it's life.

Even previous to the breakaway of the Free Rasalhague Republic, this family enjoyed little favor within the DCMS, and was a regular feature of the Legion of Vega. So replacement parts were often jury-rigged from other mechs, especially since the Dark Age inflicted by the Second Succession War. The ALLEYCAT is a mish mash of parts taken from scrapped Marauders, and the right arm of a Davion Jagermech, with the AC/2 swapped out for a third medium laser. 2 of it's current heat sinks are acting at about 50% capacity, so the lower heat burden of the AC-5 is a must for the AlleyCat.

It's current pilot, Kapten Lars Hammaarstedt, is aware that his beloved family mech is slowly dying before him. The already strained PGI battle-computer can barely keep the differing weapon systems firing, and often Lars has to aim by reflex, as the computer shorts and resets itself at random intervals, but more so when in heavy use. Often during battle, he loses his HUD entirely, or has the viewscreens go black before his eyes. Somehow Lars still manages to be effective in battle, and many is the Pirate who laments getting cored out by "a walking scrap heap". Lars now fights every battle trying to find a replacement so that the old mech can be retired to the family farm in piece, awaiting the day it can be "resurrected" for future generations.

The ALLEYCAT's stats:
Internal Structure: Standard
Engine: 260 rated Standard Reactor (unknown make)
Armor: 11 tons standard
Heat Sinks: 15 standard
Weapons:
-Left Weapon Pod (Marauder Weapons pod)
--PPC
--Medium Laser

-Right Weapons Pod (Modified Jagermech arm)
--AC/5 w/20 rounds ammo
--Medium Laser (in place of AC/2)

-Torso Weapon Bays:
2 Medium Lasers
2 Machine guns (1 ton of ammo)

Finished version
Posted Image

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 18 November 2012 - 07:49 PM.

#4 Dirus Nigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

I have a dasher/vulture/locust kit bash that would be awesome to share. Except i can't draw and I made it 15 years ago.

Looking forward to see what are talented posters come up with.

Edited by Dirus Nigh, 16 November 2012 - 10:05 PM.

#5 Daekar

• 1,214 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

OK, I don't have any spiffy backstory for mine like Bishop Steiner does, and if I did it wouldn't be nearly as good. Soooo... here it is:

Posted Image

In case it's not immediately apparent, the view of this mech is from the perspective of some poor soul who is about to be squashed in a DFA. Jumpjets (stolen from the Catapult) have been extinguished, and the mech is hurtling towards the viewer.
Take a moment to look at it and see if you can figure out the four 'Mechs that are combined.
Have you taken a moment? Good. Scroll down to see if you were right.
Torso: Hunchback
Right Arm: Rifleman
Left Arm: Longbow
Legs: Catapult

The legs in particular are divergent from what some might be used to seeing. However, on Sarna I noticed that there was a pronounced avian appearance to some of the aspects of the Catapult, and I wanted to use that.

EDIT: If all the weapons on this thing worked and had enough heatsinks, I wouldn't want to fight it. AC20, AC2, AC5, LRM20, and a small laser next to the head just to add insult to injury. :(

Edited by Daekar, 16 November 2012 - 10:17 PM.

#6 Relin Yanek

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

How long do we have on this? I have an arm... at the moment... lol.

#7 Daekar

• 1,214 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

Bumpity bump!  Steiner, your completed AlleyCat is awesome!  Nice to see shades and textures in addition to the inked lines, looks like a million C-bills!

Actually... if you don't mind me asking, what process and media did you use to achieve that look? It's something I'm interested in imitating...

Edited by Daekar, 18 November 2012 - 10:01 PM.

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

eh, a grab bag of things, and generally it differs from one to another. This one came out better than expected, though.

Obviouslt, I start by hand illustrating the mech, and I like to fully color them with Prismacolor art markers. This one was a hodge podge of different parts, so a hodgepodge of colors. After, I use my grayscale markers to go over various areas multiple times, to achieve the shading. I then use a white gel pin to highlight.

From there, I scan it in at max resolution, and either edit in GIMP, or in this case, Photobucket's editor. I used the Sharpen adjuster to a negative value to lightly blur the lines, then maxed the radius on them. After that I went through a couple of "Effects" filters, I believe "Alex" in the Subtle tree, and then "Logan" in the Too Old tree. I could be a off, I tend to just play with them til I like what I see, and so sometimes lose track.

Thanks for the kind words!

#9 Daekar

• 1,214 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

Wow, I was so off... I was thinking ink and watercolors, but I couldn't figure out how you were so precise! You know the thing that was puzzling me the most? The highlights you produced with the white gel pen. THAT is a good idea, really emphasizes the metallic nature of things. Will have to stop by my local art shop when funds permit and see what's there. ;)

#10 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

Posted Image

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 20 November 2012 - 01:36 AM.

#11 Relin Yanek

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

Awesome work!

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

okay, waddya got for week 4?

#13 Scodo

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

got in late on this one. Posting the new topic right after.Posted Image

Scrapheap, cobbled together from the arms of a Shadowcat B, the torso of a Hellhound, and the legs of a Thanatos.

Also Relin Yanek, you have as long as you want. A new thread starting doesn't mean you can't post to this one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users