Trying to figure out the proper symbols for something

2 replies to this topic

#1 HIemfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

I originally posted this in the Off-topic forum and had it reccommended that I find a calligraphist... It took me till now to figure out that we don't have any in the area that I live in that know Chinese. :P Reposting here because I remembered that there are atleast a couple people connected to House Liao that do know Chinese.

I am trying to find the symbols in Chinese for Integrity, Vigilance and Duty so I can possibly put them on a mech (if that ends up being an option) and maybe integrate them into a tattoo for my self.

Now Google Translate (heh, I know, not the best in the world, but I have found it comparable to Babblefish and many of the other free ones) has 诚信 as the reccommended for Integrity in Simplified Chinese, 警觉 for Vigilance and for Duty 责任. Unfortunately it does not have a concept translation to go with it so my certainty is a bit slim.

The definitions/concepts that I want to base the symbols off of are as follows (definitions from Dictonary.com):

Integrity (诚信): (first definition, last part) honesty.

Vigilance (警觉): (first definition, second part) watchfulness.

Duty (责任): (all five apply)

1. something that one is expected or required to do by moral or legal obligation.

2. the binding or obligatory force of something that is morally or legally right; moral or legal obligation.

3. an action or task required by a person's position or occupation; function: the duties of a clergyman.

4. the respectful and obedient conduct due a parent, superior, elder, etc.

5. an act or expresson of respect.

Simplified: Do the symbols match what I am going for?

#2 Lokisonn

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

The 1st word you have has elements of sincerity as well as honesty and integrity so I guess you got that one. The 2nd word is correct too but the 3rd might be a little off. It does carry the idea of duty but it more often used to mean responsibility, as in its the policeman's responsibility apprehand criminal. Compare that with "its the policeman's duty to uphold the law". You could also say "its the policeman's responsibility to uphold the law" which is also correct but somehow feels different. I'd sugget maybe 职责 as a better fit for duty. I'm not sure if you want the 3 words to encompas all 5 points below or something but with these 3 words, I feels some of them might not match completely but the idea is there.

#3 HIemfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:09 AM

The five points listed below Duty were the definitions of duty. The first 2 listed after duty were the ones I am leaning strongest towards. 职责 translates to responsebilities in Google Translate. Either works.

Thank you for your help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users