Have you noticed that the Flea looks like a Locust, and the JagerMech looks like the Rifleman?

33 replies to this topic

#1 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

I think this might be a hint, but I cannot say anything like that for sure. It certainly does look like the JagerMech was drawn while a picture of the JagerMech and a picture of the Rifleman sat side-by-side on FD's desktop... and the MW:O Flea made me think "OMG LOCU-Oh wait, it's a FLEA! Still, really cool!"

Now all I need is a couple Machineguns and some moxy, and I can go make a name for myself.

Anyways... seeing that the MW:O version of these Mechs have so much Unseen in them, do you think we're going to have bona fide Unseen Mechs in MW:O, or just hybrid replicas like the [awesomely redesigned] JagerMech and Flea?

#2 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

Jagermech looks exactly like I would picture an FD style Jagermech would look like.

As for teh Fleas, well, every flea looked differently and I also have problems seeing any resemblance to the Locust.

#3 Atlai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

While the Jager and Flea look pretty great, i would still love to see the Warhammer and the Marauder.

As to whether or not we will see them, i have no idea :ph34r:

#4 Blinder

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

JagerMech's always looked like a cross between a Rifleman and an UrbanMech... and the Flea seems to be the popular "we can't use a Locust so we'll use a Flea" choice, and both have been in a number of the computer games (though in arguably similar roles you'd have expected Riflemen and Locusts to fill). So, I don't know that too much should be read into them... if anything, I'd like to read some subtext into some of the interviews around the path from MW5 to MWO and hope that during those "no acrimony here" times there may have been some "hey since we're not being all acrimonious, think we can work out a deal on updating the designs and maybe sticking some attributions and links to some of your stuff around so we can *blow peoples' minds* when they magically appear at launch?"

(that's the nice thing about wild imaginings... they don't have to have any real chance of working out :ph34r: )

#5 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 26 September 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

I think this might be a hint, but I cannot say anything like that for sure. It certainly does look like the JagerMech was drawn while a picture of the JagerMech and a picture of the Rifleman sat side-by-side on FD's desktop... and the MW:O Flea made me think "OMG LOCU-Oh wait, it's a FLEA! Still, really cool!"

Now all I need is a couple Machineguns and some moxy, and I can go make a name for myself.

Anyways... seeing that the MW:O version of these Mechs have so much Unseen in them, do you think we're going to have bona fide Unseen Mechs in MW:O, or just hybrid replicas like the [awesomely redesigned] JagerMech and Flea?

Posted Image

#6 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

I just thought it looked like a Flea...

#7 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

Looks closer the Mechwarrior 4 Flea:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Omigir, 26 September 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#8 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

I think it's just wishful thinking.

TRO Jager was "heavily inspired" by Rifleman (like Thunderbolt -> Thor or Warhammer -> Devastator/Loki), so some similarities are a given. People were posting a lot of "OMG that's Rifleman nice job", but didn't look like one to me at all. They both have the "radar dish", sure enough, but the cockpit, chunky chest (with trademark Jagermech "fins") and the arms were totally different.

Flea has a similar weapon mounts pattern and is a chicken walker like Locust, but Flea is "short and stout" while Locust is lanky with very long legs and gigantic feet. Flea is fairly upright, Locust is hunched over. Not to mention that the Locust is one of those "outlandish" unseen, with clearly different "style" from later mechs. They're nothing alike besides hardpoint location (two arms + ventral).

The redesigns simply look like modernized Jagermech/Flea to me, recognizable as such at first glance.

Edited by Alex Wolfe, 26 September 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#9 zer0imh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 581 posts
  • LocationFomalhaut

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

no

#10 Jass

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

Nope sorry, they look like a Flea and a Jager to me.

#11 pursang

• 1,877 posts
  • LocationSurrey BC, Canada

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

Considering that the TRO artwork for the Flea looked like a metal box with legs, this is a huge upgrade.

#12 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

Yeah, it's clearly a Flea to me - Alex just updated it to not look like a walking breadbox with guns.

#13 Nacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 661 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

I know what's he talking about. I do see small hint of unseen meches.

...and it's brilliant! Don't you stop, Alex.

#14 Scytale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

Edited by Scytale, 26 September 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#15 Sir Roland MXIII

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

I can see a few vaguely related details in both cases but truth be told, the Flea is mostly a Flea from non TRO sources. The MWO Jager on the other hand does seem to take a few nods from the Rifleman, moreso than the TRO version does. Which I don't mind, I always loved the look of the original Rifleman, and even if it lives on only vaguely in spirit, that works for me.

So, overall, I'd have to say I mostly disagree, but I can see why the question was asked and I partially agree - 4/5 "no", 1/5 "yes" to be exact.
~Sir Roland

#16 Akaryu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

the flea looks like the flea normally dose except someone decided it needed an extra set of laser cannons

#17 Kodiak Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 935 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:13 PM

i dunno about a "hint", but the jagermech was designed to replace the rifleman its logical that the jagermech inherited some characteristics from the rifleman imo. as for the flea and locust i dont know much of thre background :P

#18 Stormcrow IV

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

I can see where you are coming from, but I'm not completely sold on the idea.

#19 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

View PostAkaryu, on 26 September 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

the flea looks like the flea normally dose except someone decided it needed an extra set of laser cannons

It also has its antennae back compared to MW4 version, although they're facing forward rather than backward, for an extra touch of buggy adorable-ness :P .

Edited by Alex Wolfe, 26 September 2012 - 04:28 PM.

#20 Akaryu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostAlex Wolfe, on 26 September 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

It also has its antennae back compared to MW4 version, although they're facing forward rather than backward, for an extra touch of buggy adorable-ness :P .

lol i suspect assault pilots wont think its as cute.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users