• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:42 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 25 September 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

Posted Image

BRB... GOTTA GO CARTWHEEL DOWN THE STREET!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

-Colonel Andrew "Havoc" Davis
Death's Hand Brigade Mercenaries

#62 Noth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

View PostHAV0C, on 25 September 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

<S> Noth

Can you provide a link or direct quote and page number from the PC gamer to confirm it? I'd like to see it for myself if you don't mind?

Thanks so much. <S> See ya dirtside.

Look above or below your post.

#63 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

View PostNoth, on 25 September 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

Look above or below your post.

Yea I got it now, thanks man!

Appreciate it ;)

<S>

Colonel Andrew "Havoc" Davis

#64 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

Bad news: leaked ahead of schedule

Good news: holy crap it's amazing

#65 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 25 September 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

Bad news: leaked ahead of schedule

Good news: holy crap it's amazing

Its head doesn't look like a TV set.

ITS HEAD DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A TV SET.

HELL YES.

#66 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 25 September 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

Posted Image

Oh my God!!!!

#67 CarnifexMaximus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 397 posts
  • LocationOakland, California Republic, North America, Terra

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

Sorry if I come off as dense... But may someone explain to this noob exactly what mech this is?

Also is the PC Gamer issue out yet? I have been sucked into the black hole of school and work as of late I have been able to do little else.

#68 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 907 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

*looks at the stocks for assaults* All that waiting for what is effectively an Atlas-lite. PGI I am disappoint. Yet another mech that we've seen before that's included because it's popular.

#69 Name140704

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

schweet

#70 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

View PostCarnifexMaximus, on 25 September 2012 - 03:01 PM, said:

Sorry if I come off as dense... But may someone explain to this noob exactly what mech this is?

Also is the PC Gamer issue out yet? I have been sucked into the black hole of school and work as of late I have been able to do little else.

This mech is the Highlander (it has an extremely distinctive head), and the issue is not yet on newsstands as far as I know.

#71 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

This Highlander looks amazing! Probably the most good looking mech ever!

I just have one question: what about the variants?

We have only:

HGN-732 - 2x Medium Lasers, 1x SRM-6, 1x LRM-20, 1x Gauss Rifle
HGN-732b - 3x Medium Lasers, 1x SRM-6, 1x LRM-20, 1x Gauss Rifle
HGN-733: 2x Medium Lasers, 1x SRM-6, 1x LRM-20, 1x Autocannon 10

Not much of a variety... ;)

And wasn't the Highlander extinct until the resume of production in 3057?

Well, I guess with that looks, the Highlander is welcome anywhere...

#72 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

Highlander ;) . I find myself feeling like piloting an assault mech now, which frightens me a little bit.

Here's how it used to look pre-redesign:

Posted Image

Edited by Alex Wolfe, 25 September 2012 - 03:22 PM.

#73 CarnifexMaximus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 397 posts
  • LocationOakland, California Republic, North America, Terra

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

Ah, I see the whole "it's head does not look like a TV" thing, as someone stated above. This is cool. I guess. JJ on an assault are nice and it's also great they have a 90 ton that really fleshes out the assault class choices... However, as I am reading it's page on sarna... I'm not really seeing anything that suggests to me that the Highlander will be more ballistic heavy/friendly than the atlas. The awesome and stalker are totally devoid of ballistic hardpoints... Will this mech fill a ballistic role better than an Atlas? Just curious...

As far as 90 ton assaults go I would massively preferred a mauler. Many folks my age associate their first visual representation of Battletech mechs as a Timberwolf/Mad Cat... Me personally was the mauler on the cover of MW2: Mercs... I remember that Christmas in 95 or 96 when I opened the wrapping paper that covered the game box... I had no idea what it was about but to this day thank my folks for buying (what was to them) "some random computer game" & ended up a favorite game/fiction setting of mine for years.

#74 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

View PostOdanan, on 25 September 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

I just have one question: what about the variants?

We have only:

HGN-732 - 2x Medium Lasers, 1x SRM-6, 1x LRM-20, 1x Gauss Rifle
HGN-732b - 3x Medium Lasers, 1x SRM-6, 1x LRM-20, 1x Gauss Rifle
HGN-733: 2x Medium Lasers, 1x SRM-6, 1x LRM-20, 1x Autocannon 10

Not much of a variety... ;)

Don't forget the jump jets.

View PostOdanan, on 25 September 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

And wasn't the Highlander extinct until the resume of production in 3057?

According to TRO: 3039, the -733 was built from the end of the 2nd Succession War until 4th Succession War. Refits of the -733 were produced starting in the mid-3030's. Full production began again in 3057.

#75 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

View Postcache, on 25 September 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

Don't forget the jump jets.

According to TRO: 3039, the -733 was built from the end of the 2nd Succession War until 4th Succession War. Refits of the -733 were produced starting in the mid-3030's. Full production began again in 3057.

So we have 1 variant. And it's an downgraded Atlas. With jump.

I don't want to complain on this (the mech looks absolutely wonderful), but I think that isn't a good choice for #16 mech.
In the future, however, I would welcome it.

#76 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

As others have said, this is the HGH 732 Highlander Battlemech. A 90 ton jump capable engine of destruction. Here's the Sarna page link for you: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Highlander

A very well rounded Assault 'mech, and my personal favorite 'mech of all time.

View PostZervziel, on 25 September 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

*looks at the stocks for assaults* All that waiting for what is effectively an Atlas-lite. PGI I am disappoint. Yet another mech that we've seen before that's included because it's popular.

Seriously dude? As I said earlier in this very post the Highlander and the Atlas share similar design concepts. They're from the star league era and MANY 'mechs of that time period in the heavy and assault weight class feature a blend of multiple weapon types. These 'mechs included the Atlas, the Highlander, the Orion, the Battlemaster, and the Thunderbolt. While I do agree it has a very similar weapons loadout to the Atlas, on paper, you have to remember that because of the hardpoint/weapon placements, it's going to play very very differently from the Atlas, not even taking into account the jump jets. With one (or more) missile hardpoints on the left arm, and all of it's ballistic hardpoints on the other arm, it'll bring a fair portion of it's weapons to bear more quickly than an Atlas ever dreamed about due to the Atlas's ballistic/missile hardpoints all being torso mounted. It's not an Atlas lite. It's a Highlander. What would you have preferred? A Zeus, Victor, Cyclops, Thug, or Charger? All of these 'mechs (except maybe the charger..) will likely be included if we continue to support this game as it grows and develops. Rather than nay-say, how about you be happy for more new goodies and come down off your high-horse for a bit to share a beer in celebration with the rest of us!

View PostCarnifexMaximus, on 25 September 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

Ah, I see the whole "it's head does not look like a TV" thing, as someone stated above. This is cool. I guess. JJ on an assault are nice and it's also great they have a 90 ton that really fleshes out the assault class choices... However, as I am reading it's page on sarna... I'm not really seeing anything that suggests to me that the Highlander will be more ballistic heavy/friendly than the atlas. The awesome and stalker are totally devoid of ballistic hardpoints... Will this mech fill a ballistic role better than an Atlas? Just curious...

As far as 90 ton assaults go I would massively preferred a mauler. Many folks my age associate their first visual representation of Battletech mechs as a Timberwolf/Mad Cat... Me personally was the mauler on the cover of MW2: Mercs... I remember that Christmas in 95 or 96 when I opened the wrapping paper that covered the game box... I had no idea what it was about but to this day thank my folks for buying (what was to them) "some random computer game" & ended up a favorite game/fiction setting of mine for years.

I think it will fill that hole nicely, as it will be able to bring those heavy ballistic weapons to bear more quickly/accurately than an Atlas due to the placement of the ballistics on the arm. Also: I too really like the Mauler, great 'mech to be sure and an excellent long range standoff platform. I too first learned of Mechwarrior in my (seemingly) random purchase of MW2 Mercenaries oh so many years ago, and still have the discs proudly displaying the Mauler on them on my computer desk, along with the field manual that came with it. We'll likely get the Mauler later, but how quickly is anyone's guess. Hopefully soon though, as it's a solid addition and a definite ballistic heavy assault.
That said, My preference for 90 ton 'mechs has always been the Highlander, I make no bones about that, so this news is probably the high-point of my week to be sure. ;)

Thanks PGI for re-imagining the coolest (to me) battlemech out there, my 'mech, "Pale Horse" is back, and boy is it looking ready to kick butt and conduct burials at regular intervals.

Bravo PGI. Bravo :(

<S>

#77 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:10 PM

View PostOdanan, on 25 September 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

I don't want to complain on this (the mech looks absolutely wonderful), but I think that isn't a good choice for #16 mech.
In the future, however, I would welcome it.

What is up with people calling it a downgraded Atlas?

Yes, it has a similar weapon profile, no argument there what-so-ever. It's not the weapons that make the difference, but their placement. How much quicker is it to bring an arm mounted weapon to bear on a target vs. a torso mounted weapon? Imagine being able to strap an AC 20 on the right arm of the Highlander, and an SRM 6 (or 2x SRM 4's even, hardpoints allowing) on the left arm, plus whatever you want on the left and right torsos and go jumping off through an urban area. I don't care what you're up against, that sounds like a problem that will take multiple 'mechs to deal with.

Now to begin speculation on what 'mech # 17 will be? Hmm.. Medium, or another light maybe?

<S>

#78 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

View PostOdanan, on 25 September 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

Two variants, mimimum. The -733 was in production 'recently' and they were doing upgrades as of 3030. This means Star League tech upgrades such as the 732. Edit: Four variants are likely (732, 733, 733C, and 733P), possibly five if they go with the 732b.

View PostHAV0C, on 25 September 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

It's not the weapons that make the difference, but their placement.

Agreed. This will make a huge difference, especially when trying to tag that little scout circling your back and also when aiming up and down hills.

Edited by cache, 25 September 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#79 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

View PostHAV0C, on 25 September 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

What is up with people calling it a downgraded Atlas?

Yes, it has a similar weapon profile, no argument there what-so-ever. It's not the weapons that make the difference, but their placement. How much quicker is it to bring an arm mounted weapon to bear on a target vs. a torso mounted weapon? Imagine being able to strap an AC 20 on the right arm of the Highlander, and an SRM 6 (or 2x SRM 4's even, hardpoints allowing) on the left arm, plus whatever you want on the left and right torsos and go jumping off through an urban area.

Now to begin speculation on what 'mech # 17 will be? Hmm.. Medium, or another light maybe?

I have to admit, you made a point here.

#80 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

But 2 variants isn't even enough... (see the mech's efficiencies)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users