Authentic Experience with *Joysticks*.

3 replies to this topic

#1 PWNMACHINE

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

I just wanted to start off by saying, I'm incredibly excited for this game, I've grown up playing all of the Mechwarrior's, this is just a child's dream come true.

The only thing that sucks is people who want a more authentic experience with Dual Joysticks or a single joystick won't be able to play very well competitively. It's the same as Battlefield 3 in that sense, you can't beat, or even come close to the accuracy and speed of a mouse while flying in a jet or anything else really. You know they have to make the game very stable for mouse and keyboard user's, there's no doubt, and I don't blame them, it wouldn't be a pretty situation otherwise.

They could however introduce a filter that lets you play with other people who are using joysticks, that would be awesome. I'm not sure how they would go about that to make sure it stayed legitimate, but I'd love to use my joysticks in this game. :)

Any suggestions are welcome.. but I'm going to stick with wanting an Authentic Experience in Mechwarrior Online using my Joysticks no matter what is said, but honestly I can't justify using them if I have to go against user's using the Mouse and Keyboard.. it just wouldn't be fun due to the differences.

#2 Morgana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCleaning 10-year old dust out of Cockpit!

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

Welcome to the MWO Forums. Posted Image

There's a great thread all about Joysticks HERE and HERE

Hope you find what you are looking for there.

Your topic will probably be moved to the Hardware, Accessories, Peripheral Forum.

If you haven't had much chance to read, there's alot of good links and info http://mwomercs.com/...-pretty-please/

Edited by Morgana, 09 March 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#3 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

Most Mouse and keyboard users usually use a Joystick also. While the mouse may be more accurate it dosen't recover from impacts as quickly or manuever the 'mech as fluidly as a Joystick so it's really a toss-up. I teamed with excellent players using both control styles and the mouse-aim did not confer any sort of invincible=ON status.

Overall the joystick delivers the most natural 'mech piloting. Aiming is just a matter of getting a joystick with good software for adjusting sensitivity and deadzone for the individual axii. I am using a Logitech 3d Pro very successfully in MW4 and alot of other games.

#4 Moleculor

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

Uh, from what I recall of playing the old Mechwarrior games is that even if playing with a mouse, the aiming, torso rotation, and full-body rotation was still speed-limited to the physics of the mech itself, so a mouse and keyboard offered no advantage or disadvantage over a joystick.

In fact, I recall playing with the joystick to be far easier in most situations.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users