#22 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:10 AM

View PostMechPilot, on 10 March 2012 - 12:16 AM, said:

Of all the "disagreements" Ive seen. Most are are unfounded or with complete lack of comprehenson. Posting somthing like "its mechwarrior not battle armor" pretty much sets the bar of how you guys carry your self. As for this whole talking to the Lead Designer thing. Im sure as hell not afraid of them..Im having a discussion thats what adults do, deal with it. I've been around long enough and had more than my share of interactions with Devs to tell you True Game Developers look forward more to what thier critics have to say, then what blind fanboys have as input. With fanboys they overlook critical issues, they basically can do no wrong. Some of you are proably ages 30+ are on the most extreame edges of being a fanboy, because you remember the very first iterations of fasa and battletech. While thats nice and all. Piranah games is about to enter into a market where a VAST majority weren't even born during MechWarrior's hayday.

Holding onto Old idea's will do more harm than good garunteed. If anything MWO should be more open to idea's and a new appreoach. Yes then can simply remake MW4 with cryengine and call it good, but where does that take you? Stop being jackasses afraid of somthing new, pretend like you want the game to last longer than a shopping season.

Seriously? regardless, your comments are fail and you should read the rest of the forums (all of it) for comprehension before trolling. We will see you when you get back. And the age comment is disingenuous, if the game captures the older 30+ players interest, they will be around much longer that the short attention span youth of today - you know, the ones who cannot make up their minds about what they want to do next. And a vibrant player base keeps the bottom line happy. Have you any idea how long people have been playing MW4:Mercs in all its iterations. If MWO can capture that......

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 10 March 2012 - 05:11 AM.

#23 Alan Grant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLooking for hidden caches, within the BT Novels™

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:33 AM

View PostMechPilot, on 09 March 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

was a bit closed minded. considering i said Battle armor (encomapases that entire field) . I gave elementals as just an example. but unless the lore has changed amroed infantry have been around throughout the entire lore.

Say what you wan't but the idea itslef is pretty fundamental, simple to implement (though role would need fine tuning). Not sure what the agression over topic is about, I mean the idea is no crazier than restarting a game/franchise thats been dead for a decade. Chances can come with great results.

The game is called Mechwarrior for a reason. This isn't the Mechwarrior universe, where you can play as anything you want. This the battletech universe, and the game takes place through the eyes of a Mechwarrior. Armoured Infantry, and Elementals are not Mechwarriors. Two different classes altogether. Even AI and Elementals are not to be thrown into the same group.

Unless you want to wait around for Battletech: Infantry/Elemental ... or Battletech: Aerotech [isn't that a TT game?] I'd say the chances of seeing player piloted units of these kinds a pipe dream at best. Not to say we won't see, AI controlled tanks, infantry, Toads and such, which would be cool.

And the idea that this game will have FPS style controls for a non 'Mech [mechanised maybe, but check the apostrophe] unit is ludicrous. The reason mods like MWLL have this feel to it is because, they are mods, based on a game which is an FPS. There's only so much you can do to mod a game, elements will stay the same. MWO is being built up from the ground as a 'Mech sim. So just becase they have AWSD doesn't mean its the same either. From the 5th blog I understand that W increases speed in one direction, and S decreases, not exactly your typical FPS controls.

#24 Fox5859

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:42 AM

sry bro i asked this a few days ago they said mech warriors only no power armor also it came in when the clans started to invade

#25 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHipsterland, USA

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:54 AM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 10 March 2012 - 12:27 AM, said:

MechPilot,

At no time did I say your ideas were not valid or worth investigating. There was no hostility in my post. I've been moving all clan/non-timeline based topics down here because it creates noise on topics we've already discussed and put to bed.

Power armor/elemental suits have been discussed already and we are not supporting it or following up with it at this time. We've also stated that MW:O will focus on Mech vs Mech combat only for the time being. People have asked numerous times if players will be able to get out of the cockpit and we've always responded with a "No.. not at this time".

Also, implementing ground troops isn't "simple to implement". Designing their role is cheap... technology wise they're expensive. As mentioned by myself and the Technical Director, we're pushing a lot of data from server to client and back again and position/action of these ground troops will just add unnecessary calculations and data events.

There are numerous Dev Blogs you can read through and they're sorted nicely in General Discussion > (Sticky)New Players Start Here (Pretty Please!).

Told Status: Knights of the Told Republic.

#26 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:57 AM

Not going to happen. BattleArmor is all but unknown in the whole IS at the time the game starts (3049 in-game time). And yes, the clans have it, but nobody cares as far as game launch is concerned. As there will be no clans. So I guess you can mothball that demand of yours till it would actually fit the background and timeline.

I don't see how this is in any way hostile- He was just pointing out that the game is set pre-clan invasion, so anything that isnt in the inner sphere pre-invasions just wont be in the game (like battle armour).
Also, the devs have already stated that the only thing players will be able to pilot is mechs. Battle Armour are NOT mechs

Edit: Mechpilot, I would not call anyone jackasses if I were you. You are the one who has been taking any comment that does not agree with yours as hostility. Also, Mechwarrior 4 does have battle armour in it.

Edited by Longsword, 10 March 2012 - 07:01 AM.

#27 MechPilot

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

View PostAlan Grant, on 10 March 2012 - 05:33 AM, said:

And the idea that this game will have FPS style controls for a non 'Mech [mechanised maybe, but check the apostrophe] unit is ludicrous. The reason mods like MWLL have this feel to it is because, they are mods, based on a game which is an FPS. There's only so much you can do to mod a game, elements will stay the same. MWO is being built up from the ground as a 'Mech sim. So just becase they have AWSD doesn't mean its the same either. From the 5th blog I understand that W increases speed in one direction, and S decreases, not exactly your typical FPS controls.

That is why it would have the basic controls( though allow free look inside its cockpit/suit) Its not exactly rocket science on how it would be implemented. The Devs ARE using an 90% FPS focused engine already. There's a reason you don't hear about simulations using cryengine. Hell its abilty to make use to stream piplines for online info isn't great either. Not really somthing I would choose for an online game only. End of the day, MWO is still using an FPS engine.

View PostGremlich Johns, on 10 March 2012 - 05:10 AM, said:

Seriously? regardless, your comments are fail and you should read the rest of the forums (all of it) for comprehension before trolling. We will see you when you get back. And the age comment is disingenuous, if the game captures the older 30+ players interest, they will be around much longer that the short attention span youth of today - you know, the ones who cannot make up their minds about what they want to do next. And a vibrant player base keeps the bottom line happy. Have you any idea how long people have been playing MW4:Mercs in all its iterations. If MWO can capture that......

Lol your arguments seems to counter it'self if anything. once again same community that had exposure to battletech in the 80s. Still wake up today thinking they are gonna travel back in time and just hold on to it. Life goes on, and its time to move on. You guys get an A-for effort if you want to capture the spirit of mechwarrior of the 90s. Ofc it was amazing, but just recreating it would honestly..be foolish. Its up there with a starwars remake. Ok you made it look pretty. Now what? It does the game a diservice, and this derelict community doesn't try to find new ways to show what Mechwarrior could be. Instead your gonna do the counter productive (I like this game made 12+ years ago. copy it plz) route.

The things this game could have become, is more than amazing in its own right, but at the end of the day it will only be a shell of its former self because You guys wan't to stay in nostalgia land forever.That is the true crime in its own right.

View PostLongsword, on 10 March 2012 - 06:57 AM, said:

I don't see how this is in any way hostile- He was just pointing out that the game is set pre-clan invasion, so anything that isnt in the inner sphere pre-invasions just wont be in the game (like battle armour).
Also, the devs have already stated that the only thing players will be able to pilot is mechs. Battle Armour are NOT mechsEdit: Mechpilot, I would not call anyone jackasses if I were you. You are the one who has been taking any comment that does not agree with yours as hostility. Also, Mechwarrior 4 does have battle armour in it.

Yes counter a "hostility" argument by becoming hostile. Good jerb.

View PostCake Bandit, on 10 March 2012 - 05:54 AM, said:

Told Status: Knights of the Told Republic.

Somthins clinically wrong with you..

View PostPaul Inouye, on 10 March 2012 - 12:27 AM, said:

MechPilot,

At no time did I say your ideas were not valid or worth investigating. There was no hostility in my post. I've been moving all clan/non-timeline based topics down here because it creates noise on topics we've already discussed and put to bed.

Power armor/elemental suits have been discussed already and we are not supporting it or following up with it at this time. We've also stated that MW:O will focus on Mech vs Mech combat only for the time being. People have asked numerous times if players will be able to get out of the cockpit and we've always responded with a "No.. not at this time".

Also, implementing ground troops isn't "simple to implement". Designing their role is cheap... technology wise they're expensive. As mentioned by myself and the Technical Director, we're pushing a lot of data from server to client and back again and position/action of these ground troops will just add unnecessary calculations and data events.

There are numerous Dev Blogs you can read through and they're sorted nicely in General Discussion > (Sticky)New Players Start Here (Pretty Please!).

While I see what you are saying. The fact still remains, you are indeed using an FPS engine. Troops,vehicles all of that should be no problem. Heck when I hear the game was going to use cry engine I was worried if was just gonna be an glorified FPS with a mech skin draped on top. More over I understand the net code limitations the engine runs into. because no game really have examples of it being versitle, personally I think it has more limiations than postives. Many that really want a viceral experince for multiplayer, The engine is almost Always made in-house, It just is. When you see game's that support 64 players+ its because it was developed from the ground up-engine included.

As I stated above. My concern is what on earth do you intend to do to keep the game interesting? Its almost garunteed multilayer will be on the small side, but what is the true end goal of MWO? I understand you're recreating the feel of the original franchise, but surely thats not it? I mean if your THIS opposed to the idea of battle armor or "exiting vheicles" then it pretty much goes with out saying, and other idea's are out the window.Why do you think i still decided to post the idea? i know full well how hostile this community is to change, but I also know that remaking a game just to ride out some of the wave's of nostalgia that remain. Because reaslasing new mechs/skins once in a while is not gonna secrue the game's future.

You may staunchly disagree with me, or any users in the future that will have ideas on new ways to play. However as a Game developer I think you know, and can appreciate the fact that MWO can't stay afloat just on it's namesake alone. You already know of the compeition, 2012 is absolutly the year of the mech. We already know Its about to be a crowded market, but the difference with "who will be the last man standing" isnt going to fall to the fanbase to anwser, its going to rely on what game stands out the most or has the most innovative features.

Edited by MechPilot, 10 March 2012 - 10:41 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users