You're not evil Ian Dresari!

20 replies to this topic

#1 Fox Fire

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

Ok, spent time looking into this and I only found an obscure reference to prove this.
In the events of MW4 Vengeance, Ian Dresari had the choice to choose between saving his sister or getting the Mechs at the armory. Most of us chose to save the sister but the official story was he went for the Mechs as his sister encouraged him more to save the people and forget about her. That choice lead his Uncle to leave him and propaganda to spread that Ian was just as bad as his Cousin. MW4: Vengeance ends

MW4: Black lance takes place when you eventually become the head of the Black lance and Ian is painted as a maniacal ***** you eventually have to kill to “free” the planet.

I read that it was a huge setup. Ian was honestly fighting for the people, he just made the wrong choice to not save his sister. Rolland, I think that was his name, used the publicized death of Johanna as a false message to the people that Ian was no better than the Cousin who gave the planet over to Steiner. The period of time of MW4: BL, the story has you believe you are a Merc fighting a good cause to “rescue the people” and get paid to do it. In reality, or the cannon, the Black Lance killed Johanna and made it look like Ian was a cause of it, either directly or indirectly. This cause public opinion to sway. Eventually, the people came to realize Ian was not after power or responsible for Johanna’s death and a unsettled peace was established.

Bottom line was, Ian was not a bad guy……at least from what I found out.

Anyone hear different?

#2 Gattling Fenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 589 posts
  • LocationOverheating in front of a Timberwolf

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

As a Steiner I must say, I consider him a bad guy, but that's simply because I'm in the trenches facing yours when the civil war breaks out.

#3 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

evil, maybe not. but he ended up getting caught in James Sandoval personal war and kentares IV paid a terrible price for it. i think his sister would have done a much better job at ruling had Ian not sacrificed her for some weapons.

#4 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

I don't know.. Royal Sisters have a bad track record. Better go for the Omnimech(s).

#5 Ian Dressari

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

I can officially say that I am in no way, shape, or form evil. Honest!

On a side note, those omni-mechs had some pretty kicking hydraulics, and the seats even came with back massages.

#6 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

I've played Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance and I know Ian Dresari is a good guy. He even admitted in Ending B (bad ending) that he regretted the choices he made. Mechwarrior 4: Black Knight on the other hand, was simply made as an excuse to make Ian evil and kill off him and his friends.

Edited by Will9761, 06 August 2013 - 09:34 AM.

#7 tacocat12

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

I play it and ian is good Will9761 I say we agree on this end a ( AWESOME ) is better go for sister

#8 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

Eh, I think that it's mostly personal bias (after all, you "are" Ian Dresari in-game, so most people are biased to believe he's a great guy). Let's look at it from an outside perspective. You are a disgrace to the family (as seen by his exile), absent when his family is murdered by the Archon. He then saves a few citizens, then takes the war into the city, and sacrifices his sister (his last living family member, and a huge member of the resistance) for a 'Mech, when he already had (at least I did) more than enough (who needs a Dire Wolf with an Atlas?). Then, he goes to the Royal Palace and murders Roland (no trial, nothing), and kills his (sorry, I can't remember. Nephew? Well, Prince William.) He then takes control over the planet, and goes on to terrorize his own people, etc. etc. I don't like him.

#9 Deedsie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 320 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

Mechwarrior 4: Black Knight on the other hand, was simply made as an excuse to make Ian evil and kill off him and his friends.

He lived, though. The whole mess there was a giant set-up by Dupree.

The way I see it, his sister did survive the ousting of Lord Roland, but was later assassinated by agents under Dupree's authority and the blame pinned on Ian after he became duke.

#10 Skye Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 250 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

^

View PostDeedsie, on 05 August 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

He lived, though. The whole mess there was a giant set-up by Dupree.

The way I see it, his sister did survive the ousting of Lord Roland, but was later assassinated by agents under Dupree's authority and the blame pinned on Ian after he became duke.

He's right.

#11 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

Becuase of this game i decided to be Davion and Ian was good person who loved his family, mostly his father.

#12 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

Dude he went for a Daishi, a DAISHI!

And she told him to!

#13 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostFox Fire, on 26 September 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

Ok, spent time looking into this and I only found an obscure reference to prove this.
In the events of MW4 Vengeance, Ian Dresari had the choice to choose between saving his sister or getting the Mechs at the armory. Most of us chose to save the sister but the official story was he went for the Mechs as his sister encouraged him more to save the people and forget about her. That choice lead his Uncle to leave him and propaganda to spread that Ian was just as bad as his Cousin. MW4: Vengeance ends.

You made an error, his uncle was Peter Dresari, who was killed fighting Duncan Burke. The guy you're thinking of is the Chief Engineer Karl Sontag.

Edited by Will9761, 06 August 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#14 Destructicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostENS Puskin, on 06 August 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

Becuase of this game i decided to be Davion and Ian was good person who loved his family, mostly his father.

Don't forget, Steiner aren't inherently bad either, they're just led by the most vile woman in the Innersphere

#15 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

View PostDestructicus, on 06 August 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

Don't forget, Steiner aren't inherently bad either, they're just led by the most vile woman in the Innersphere

^
This
True words have never been spoken.

Edited by Will9761, 07 February 2015 - 03:48 PM.

#16 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

View PostDestructicus, on 06 August 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

Well, but still i will be loyal to Davions, in MW4:Mercenaries i always chose missions for Davions instead of Steiner. You know...

#17 IanDresarie

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 92 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:02 AM

I guess i'm not really objective, but I think Ian Dresarie is a good guy. In fact he is in my oppinion the best person in the series so far.

(regarding my current faction: After the fighting with my father I decided to leave Kentares to join a Steiner Unit and help at the front against the Clans. That's why I'm not Davion atm.)

BTW, there are not much fixed information about why he was fighting with his father, right? I'm trying to develop a real background story for him but around 3050 are a lot of empty spaces when he joins the front units.

#18 Ian Drsaurri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 107 posts
  • LocationKentares IV

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:32 PM

View PostIan Dressari, on 14 July 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

On a side note, those omni-mechs had some pretty kicking hydraulics, and the seats even came with back massages.

I'm not evil either

#19 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:44 PM

View PostIan Dressari, on 14 July 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

View PostIanDresarie, on 02 February 2015 - 07:02 AM, said:

I guess i'm not really objective, but I think Ian Dresarie is a good guy. In fact he is in my oppinion the best person in the series so far.

(regarding my current faction: After the fighting with my father I decided to leave Kentares to join a Steiner Unit and help at the front against the Clans. That's why I'm not Davion atm.)

BTW, there are not much fixed information about why he was fighting with his father, right? I'm trying to develop a real background story for him but around 3050 are a lot of empty spaces when he joins the front units.

View PostIan Drsaurri, on 07 February 2015 - 02:32 PM, said:

I'm not evil either

But I'm Spartacus!

#20 Dresari Iain

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 31 posts
  • LocationStranded on the sands of Bone-Norman

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:22 PM

I agree, Ian Dresari is not evil. BTW, can anyone reference any canonical source which states that he indeed abandoned his sister? Because Sarna warns:
"Apocryphal

The subject of this article is exclusively described in apocryphal sources, i.e. in official BattleTech products that do not fall under the current definition of canon. Consequently, the subject of this article may not be canonical.
See the article's section on Canonicity for details."

[/center]
Indeed video games are excluded from canon sources. If there's nothing in sourcebooks, novels, lore that states that Joanna Dresari was indeed executed, then her fate depends on the player.

Now I find nothing canonical about Ian Dresari's existance either, nor Joanna's for that matter. IMO, since you're Ian in MW4, it's up to you to define who he'll be.

If you went to save her (like me), then how could you be evil? Oh and there's nothing evil about shooting Rolland's dropship. The thing has weapons, it fires those, and has a murderer on board attempting to evade custody. Let alone the fact Ian is justified to have his Vengeance.

If you go for the cache, does that make you evil? No. It merely makes you a terrible brother (which isn't necessarily a better thing IMHO). You still save the people of Vale (remember the frigates?) and risk your life doing it. You still avenge your family. Do you become a tyrant? Nah, it's all Steiner propaganda. You still aren't a democrat by imposing your rule over an angry populace, but that doesn't make you evil either. The FedSuns is a constitutional monarchy with nobility having power. House Dresari is chosen by House Davion to rule over Kentares IV. Hence is Ian's rule legitimate. Nuff said on that point.

The whole idea of Eric McClair to avenge Colonel Lawhorn is biaised. Lawhorn became Ian's enemy by working for Steiner and got what he deserved. Steiner forces killed him so Ian nor his forces had nothing do to with it. And evcen if they did would they be justified. You kill people for no reason but money, you get killed. Fair enough in my book.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users