Joystick Controller Throttle Saitek

25 replies to this topic

#21 Ow Chi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationInbound

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

View PostDesert Panther, on 11 December 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

I personally can't see how can you aim with a stick and expect to hit something. People with a mouse will hit you 3 times or even kill you while you try to aim at someone with a joystick. This game is NOT a joystick friendly when it gets to aiming.

This has been my experience 100% so far. I feel like I am putting myself at an enourmous disadvantage trying to use the joystick.

Coupled with the fact that there is no way to change keys while in game, I cannot practice or get a feel for how things work unless in a match with everybody bitching at me because I have no idea which button does what, it's really just a waste of time.

#22 Taranchio

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

You guys are missing an important difference between this game and a normal FPS.

In an FPS there is very little acceleration time, you go from standstill to full speed almost instantly and can strafe left and right while running forward without any worries. In this game mechs have to turn, accelerate and slowly brake. That means all direction changes are predictable and smooth if you are paying attention.

This combined with circle running means that with a joystick I can hold and adjust a steady lead on you all the time when you will eventually have to pick up your mouse and go off target till you jerk it back to where it was because you reacehd the end of your mousepad.

Yes, it makes comming arround a corner and finding a jenner jumping over you a lot more tricky to deal with... but as soon as you get out of "Shotgun" range the steady aim of a joystick over the twicht of a mouse means its much easier to keep lasers tracking and consecutive autocannon shots at the right lead.

This might be a foreign idea if you have never played anything except FPS or other instant acceleration games and if thats the case, dont worry about it.. just let us have our fun :-)

#23 Ow Chi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationInbound

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

View PostTaranchio, on 17 December 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

You guys are missing an important difference between this game and a normal FPS.

In an FPS there is very little acceleration time, you go from standstill to full speed almost instantly and can strafe left and right while running forward without any worries. In this game mechs have to turn, accelerate and slowly brake. That means all direction changes are predictable and smooth if you are paying attention.

This combined with circle running means that with a joystick I can hold and adjust a steady lead on you all the time when you will eventually have to pick up your mouse and go off target till you jerk it back to where it was because you reacehd the end of your mousepad.

Yes, it makes comming arround a corner and finding a jenner jumping over you a lot more tricky to deal with... but as soon as you get out of "Shotgun" range the steady aim of a joystick over the twicht of a mouse means its much easier to keep lasers tracking and consecutive autocannon shots at the right lead.

This might be a foreign idea if you have never played anything except FPS or other instant acceleration games and if thats the case, dont worry about it.. just let us have our fun :-)

Be assured that I am not missing any point. I don't just play FPS games and I use the Joystick for sims like IL-2 and DCS. And I used it in prior MW games so I prefer the stick. So I understand how it works. What I am seeing in MWO is that it is just too twitchy - no matter how I tweak the user.cfg for the joystick settings the cursor sort of pops around, it's not smooth at all like it is when I fly. With a dead zone, without, everything in between, gain, sensitivity - it doesn't matter what I set them to. I can see they are being changed when I go back in the game but no value is acceptable.

I have spent a lot of time with the X52 so I know how it works, and how it should feel. And it feels like crap in this game but fine in everything else.

Believe me I wish it worked, but it doesn't.

Maybe the support is still not there but I am 10,000 times more accurate with the mouse.

Edited by Ow Chi, 18 December 2012 - 05:25 PM.

#24 Taranchio

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

I had the same experience as you originally.

It seems there is actually quite a bit of tweaking possible with the engine, but its burried very very deep. I found a thread in the user support forum that changed everything I knew about joystick support in this game.

I have managed to get pretty much zero deadzone and very sutble sensitivity... let me dig out the link quick.

http://mwomercs.com/...ech-saitek-fix/

See if that helps.. if your interested anyway.

#25 Ow Chi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationInbound

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

View PostTaranchio, on 19 December 2012 - 11:45 PM, said:

I had the same experience as you originally.

It seems there is actually quite a bit of tweaking possible with the engine, but its burried very very deep. I found a thread in the user support forum that changed everything I knew about joystick support in this game.

I have managed to get pretty much zero deadzone and very sutble sensitivity... let me dig out the link quick.

http://mwomercs.com/...ech-saitek-fix/

See if that helps.. if your interested anyway.

I am interested and will take a look - seems there is a love/hate thing going on with using a stick and this game. I keep trying and giving up but really want to make it work :)

#26 MrStude2r5

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:37 PM

Anyone get their X52 Stick and Throttle working in the Mech5 Beta ?

Anyone get their X52cStick and Throttle working in the Mech5 Beta?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users