13 replies to this topic

#1 Shephard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 274 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

I played ChromHounds TO DEATH when it came out all those years ago, and was super upset when they pulled the plug (My guild and I were all sitting infront of our screens counting down the last seconds... very sad).

It was perhaps my favorite MMO -- yes, I think this term applies as it was a multiplayer online only PvP based persistent world. The more I read about MWO is going to work, the more similarities I seem to find. You and your lancemates drop onto a contested area and battle the enemy. At the end of the match you pay for repairs and ammunition. Win enough matches and you take control of that area, move onto the next one.

If it turns out that MWO is anything remotely like Chrome Hounds, I can see myself playing it for an unhealthly amount of time.

#2 HeroicTofu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the Ford Galaxy

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

I sadly got into Chromehounds wayyyyy after the fact, just shortly before they announced pulling the plug. But I did enjoy it.

#3 Snowcaller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 216 posts
  • LocationHiding in FRR space after defecting. (UK)

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

I had CH on my 360 several years back, i hadn't got to play it online, but can remember enjoying the single player missions.
If you have a partner, I'm sure you'd better buy her/him lots of gifts in advance as it is likely from what little footage i've seen you may become allergic to sunlight and addicted to coffee and energy drinks.

I play mech games on principle, but this is looking pretty tasty, imo.

#4 osito

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, ca

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

I never played online but i still have the game for my xbox 360. I liked being able to fully customize the mech for each mission.

#5 Shephard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 274 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

I've always felt that the single player missions were just a long tutorial for the Multiplayer aspect. The six short campaigns (One for each Mech Type) tell the background story and set up the start of the Great War. The multiplayer aspect of the game is you choosing which faction to fight for, and then actually fighting that war! Once one faction wins, the game is reset and you do it all over again. Each "War" took several months to complete. Good times were had.

In MWO, while it will be possible to conquer some planets, I imagine it will be impossible for any faction to "win" the war. No matter how badly I want it, Steiner is never going to conquer Luthien, for example.

#6 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

Moving to Off Topic since Chrome Hounds isn't MWO.

#7 Recaldy

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

I didn't like it too much. Was lots of fun fighting computer opponants but when you fight players its just guns on top of towers poking pixel-high over cliff and hill tops shooting at you. Was pretty stupid overall. : /

#8 WerewolfX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 501 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

I miss that game. My gamertag is WerewolfX0 and I always piloted a hound that resembled a Madcat or a Thor. (could never get the bushwacker config right)

#9 Trireaper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 147 posts
  • LocationDeep space...

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

You think we could modify some files and get it to run offa someone else's server?

#10 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostShephard, on 12 March 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

I played ChromHounds TO DEATH when it came out all those years ago, and was super upset when they pulled the plug (My guild and I were all sitting infront of our screens counting down the last seconds... very sad).

It was perhaps my favorite MMO -- yes, I think this term applies as it was a multiplayer online only PvP based persistent world. The more I read about MWO is going to work, the more similarities I seem to find. You and your lancemates drop onto a contested area and battle the enemy. At the end of the match you pay for repairs and ammunition. Win enough matches and you take control of that area, move onto the next one.

If it turns out that MWO is anything remotely like Chrome Hounds, I can see myself playing it for an unhealthly amount of time.

i loved that game it so satisfied my craving 4 mech action, couldn't take the place of MW but it was still good

View PostWerewolfX, on 12 March 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

I miss that game. My gamertag is WerewolfX0 and I always piloted a hound that resembled a Madcat or a Thor. (could never get the bushwacker config right)

yeah i made a Mad Cat too.............makes me want to play that now

Edited by Mason West, 13 March 2012 - 10:42 AM.

#11 Shephard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 274 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

View PostTrireaper, on 12 March 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

You think we could modify some files and get it to run offa someone else's server?

Not likely. Why don't you write Sega a very polite sounding letter and let us know how it goes?

#12 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

CH is how I met most of my good friends on the Xbox and I still talk and hang out with them to this day. My favorite build was the "Flat bed" set up with 3 of the smaller heavy artillery cannons with HE rounds. Man that thing was accurate at long ranges. But I must say, I hated going against the nade spamming shino carts.

#13 Death Metal

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 34 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

Chromehounds was and still is my favorite videogame of all time, it had its flaws but then again ive never played a game that didnt. In fact id still be playing today if Sega didnt shut the servers down like the asshats they are

Edited by Death Metal, 06 November 2012 - 12:12 AM.

#14 Dig Bickerson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:07 AM

ChromeHounds was THE best mech game the Xbox 360 ever had, the online was fantastic and brilliant Hopefully this is what the whole meta game for multiplayer will be like for MWO!

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users