Question related to towing something with a vehicle.

6 replies to this topic

#1 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

Lets say i have a 50 ton tracked vehicle. What would the limitation be on how much weight i could tow with it. I have tried to look on the rulebooks i could find online, but while towed things were mentioned, i could never find any limitations to how much weight could be towed.

thank you for your time

#2 Assassinsf

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

Well assuming you could get enough traction, it would depend on the engine, get a big enough engine you could tow 50 ton. Correct me if I am wrong I am just going off of my logic.

#3 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

Alright i will use a specific example if that helps, while the Demolisher heavy tank is 80 tons, It is the only one i could think of off the top of my head. it has a 240 engine, top speed of 54 kph. Hope that helps a bit.

#4 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:00 AM

From the CityTech 2nd edition and 3rd edition Battletech Campaign rules on freight that is transported outside of the in vehicle tonnage.
A vehicle that transports 0 to 1/4 of its tonnage looses half of its cruise and topspeed but at maximum 3MP.
A vehicle that carrys more than 1/4th of its tonnage looses at least half of its movement speed.
Thats all what is said to this topic. If you consider this and how a tracked or a wheeled vehicle is build I would say a vehicle can carry up to half its weight for short periods and tow up its own weight.
For example a J-27 Munition transport http://www.sarna.net...nance_Transport tows 8 Tonns of ammo and 3 Tonns internal and has a weight of 10 Tonns.

#5 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

thanks for the info, though it seems weird that you can only tow stuff lighter than you, trucks now a days can tow things much heavier than them, though they have significantly worse acceleration and stopping times if they do that. But i guess this is what the rules say.

#6 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

Rules for trailers can be found in Maximum Tech, in the chapter on special equipment for vehicles.
According to MaxTech, only wheeled and tracked vehicles equipped with a coupling can pull trailers of up to its own weight, can not shoot into front or rear arc when a trailer is coupled there and move at reduced speed.
The exact rules are more than one page long, so I won't write more.

(I think theese rules are superceeded by rules in either Tech manual or Strat Ops)

#7 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

View Postdal10, on 30 September 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

thanks for the info, though it seems weird that you can only tow stuff lighter than you, trucks now a days can tow things much heavier than them, though they have significantly worse acceleration and stopping times if they do that. But i guess this is what the rules say.

Consider a todays 25 tonns truck as vehicle with a complete weight of 25 tonns and a freight space of say 15 tonns.
So the freight space may be considered as 'build in'.
Your example of a 80 tonns Tank is an completely other case. The Tank weights 80 tonns including armor, structure, engine, weapons and controls. Now its on to tow somthing outside its normal tonnage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users