"Fire all weapons" button

14 replies to this topic

#1 JonasEK

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

As of what i remember from MW 3 and some of the many variations of MW4, all Mechs had a button that ignored weapon groups and fire every ready weapon.

I would very much like to see this feature in MWO and i hope that i'm not the only one.

If your load-out, when fired simultaneously, would force a shutdown of the system then it would just shut down afterwards. Maybe in some cases it would overheat your Mech so bad, that you would self-destruct (i'm talking a tiny chance). This would make the whole thing a lot more risky and only for emergencies.

Edited by JonasEK, 13 March 2012 - 10:28 AM.

#2 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

It would be easy to assign every weapon to one of your 6 weapon groups. Then only use that button when you want to fire everything.

So, yes, you could do this without having a dedicated "Fire everything" button.

#3 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

The issue of an "alpha strike" (the term for firing all of a BattleMech's weapons simultaneously (or nearly-so) regardless of the currently-selected "target interlock circuit" (firing group)) is a rather controversial among the player-base, ans is discussed in further detail here.

#4 Bullwerk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 185 posts
  • LocationBremerton, Wa

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

Generally in my experience Alpha Striking is a tactic best used in desperate situations by desperate people with little to lose in the end. Even a slight stagger in your weapons fire goes a long way to keeping you a viable fighting machine.

#5 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

You mean Alpha strike? i remember back in MW3 the supernova would explode when you fired an alpha strike : )..........good times

#6 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

Nobody can honestly say that they need 7 weapons groups. Just assign all weapons to one of the 6 groups available. Having a particular button for an alpha strike is a tacky waste of time.

It's also NOT necessarilly a desperation strike, it completely depends on the mechs design and heat capacity. Many mechs can fire all their weapons with not heat buildup at all.

#7 IceSerpent

• 3,044 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

As others have already said, just assign alpha stike to one weapon group, all arm weapons to the second one, and all torso weapons to the third one. No extra buttons necessary.

#8 Havoc2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 505 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

In MW4 I often used all of the available 6 group options for weapons.

Generally group 6 was all weapons. Other groups were generally of the same type and range. Often those groups were split based on location or simply split up to give good punch with less heat build up.
Or simply broken up so I could fire several groups in a chain fire style to keep an enemy rocking and unable to get a bead/target lock on me.

One of my favorite Mad Cat configs was 2 LRM20s and 4 erLLas.
The erLLAS were split into 2 groups. 1 was both in the LArm, 2 was both in the RArm, 3 was the LRM20 in the Left Ear, 4 was the LRM20 in the Right Ear, 5 was both LRMs and 6 was everything.

If I wanted, I could just about chain fire the LRMs with a slight delay and prevent most enemies without BAP from getting a missile lock on me, and make it harder to get a bead for direct fire weapons (also the range was great).

I'd agree with having an Alpha Strike option available in the game, even if the key isn't set by default. Let the user decide what they want for a key though.

And if PGI wants to be a little dirty, remove the ability to override shutdown.

#9 Jehan

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

View Post}{avoc, on 13 March 2012 - 11:59 AM, said:

One of my favorite Mad Cat configs was 2 LRM20s and 4 erLLas.
The erLLAS were split into 2 groups. 1 was both in the LArm, 2 was both in the RArm, 3 was the LRM20 in the Left Ear, 4 was the LRM20 in the Right Ear, 5 was both LRMs and 6 was everything.

Erm... You knew that you could instantly toogle 'chain firing' for any of your weapon groups... did you?
No need to assign 1 button to LRM-A and 1 to LRM-B, the same button could fire them in alternate sucesion....

#10 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

In a Pinch put 50% of weapons in Group #1 and 50% in Groups #2 then when panic strikes, PRESS both Buttons simultaneously. LOL

#11 Felix Dante

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 400 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 13 March 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

It's called an "Alpha Strike". (Site is currently down at the moment)

I'm hoping the game will also come with a "Fire all Arm Weapons" and "Fire all Torso Weapons" function.

I love that idea!!! ;)

#12 Vultur109

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

that sounds awesome if you have only laser weapons its a problem because of overheating but in ani other
situation its great.

#13 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:51 AM

This button is located beneath the "Launch all Zig" lever.

#14 Havoc2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 505 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:16 AM

View PostJehan, on 13 March 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

Erm... You knew that you could instantly toogle 'chain firing' for any of your weapon groups... did you?
No need to assign 1 button to LRM-A and 1 to LRM-B, the same button could fire them in alternate sucesion....

All chain fire mode does is fire weapons 1 at a time in whatever order they show up.
Grouping them together, even if there's only 1 in a group lets you fire whichever weapon you want, in whatever order you want. Also would allow you to fire 2 groups together if you so choose without needing to find/hit the group toggle.

Also from what I remember, chain fire toggled between chain fire groups - chain fire weapons - group fire mode so you would need to double tap the button to get back to group fire mode.

#15 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

This button?
Posted Image
Which ironically also auto pushes this button for you:
Posted Image

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users