The Battle Grid- strategic roles for the win?

8 replies to this topic

#1 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:49 PM

"The newly implemented Battle Grid will give commanding units a bird’s eye view of the battlefield and scouts will be able to feed real time recon information to them. The battlefield commander will be able to call in air strikes, artillery strikes and other support unit requests." -from the FAQ.

This has my attention. I may not be able to take down that Atlas, but I can call in a request to have it bombed or maybe an artillery barrage to soften it up?

Daddy likes.

#2 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts
  • LocationGermany/Bavaria

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:56 PM

Adds a slight spoon of MechCommander to the game. And is basically quite realistic. Nobody would just send in Mechs and let them run around headlessly. Thumbs up to this idea. And as of Battlefield you can tell that a commander mode does not kill the balance, but just spices everything up.

#3 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

One thing that's appealed to me here is what seems to be MWO's aiming towards low-visibility warfare- a lot of stuff that'll block sensors or line-of-sight. That means finding things is often a matter of getting something fast and nimble out there, then calling down the thunder or getting the heck out of Dodge, depending.

Big stompy slap-fights or circles of death need not apply.

#4 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts
  • LocationGermany/Bavaria

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

I just hope they balance things out perfectly. Giving players ability to do both... dogfights and strategic warfare. Balance is everything in a game like this. Be it concerning variety of maps, mechs or in detail.

#5 dradiin

• Pip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:46 PM

Here is hoping that this will enable the use of specialized equipment like NARC beacons. I also want there to be a need for scouts, serious scouting. The other weight classes of mechs were important and they need to be stressed in the simulation of this game.

#6 Wahlnutz

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:47 PM

I do like this idea, and depending on the number of players in any given game, this could be a real game winner for those that can properly execute being a commander and those that think they can just brush off the commander role and just back things with a laser...

#7 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

I personally hope this element gets expanded on as the game goes on. I'd be entirely happy if combined arms eventually showed up in MWO, but the non-'mechs were operated by NPCs - calling in a raid from hovercraft or using the battlegrid to manage tanks and even infantry would be really stellar.

That said, my actual expectations are that we might be able to call in friendly NPC VTOLs and Aerospace. I'd much rather have them appear as actual units on the map than be an off-screen "airstrike animation," mostly because it gives companies a reason to take anti-air support and further diversify their forces.

#8 Helmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 09 April 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

I personally hope this element gets expanded on as the game goes on. I'd be entirely happy if combined arms eventually showed up in MWO, but the non-'mechs were operated by NPCs - calling in a raid from hovercraft or using the battlegrid to manage tanks and even infantry would be really stellar.

That said, my actual expectations are that we might be able to call in friendly NPC VTOLs and Aerospace. I'd much rather have them appear as actual units on the map than be an off-screen "airstrike animation," mostly because it gives companies a reason to take anti-air support and further diversify their forces.

Perfectly said.

Thank you.

Cheers.

#9 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

and if i get 25 kills in a row i get a nuke right?... :angry: i get it, but the last thing i want to do is "alt tab" out to the map and have to micro manage someones arti request then tab back and... oh damn.. its a Atlas... right in front of me... /wrists

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users