Ok (How Much Money Will I Need To Drop To Compete - Grimm Wuz Here)

39 replies to this topic

#21 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

View Postcut672, on 13 March 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

How much money will I need to drop on this game in order for me to be able to compete fairly with other people? Am I only going to get all the low grade crap and anyone who is more lucky with money situation going to be golden and supreme?

1. Welcome to MWO
2. Please attempt to make cogent thread titles; they benefit people who use searches
3. To answer your question $0USD. You'll be able to get anything that has any significance on the battlefield (ie non-vanity/cosmetic) items just by playing the game, earning C-Bills, and buying it in the shop. IF you would like to get it quicker, there will be ways you can spend real money to do so. However, in short, you will not be able to buy your dominance on the battlefield.

#22 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

Yay Paul just confirmed random mechs at start!!! :)

I kid. In all seriousness, can anyone name a really popular, well done, etc etc P2W game? I know WoT has issues in that department, but isn't the reputation hurting it? I know that's one reason I didn't play much after beta.

#23 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 13 March 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

I am going to be 100% honest with you.

Yes, we will have a store with gear in it.

How much do you have to spend?

Spoiler

Permission to add this to the New Player Start Here Thread, sir?

#24 Kargush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 973 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

View PostDeath Blossom, on 13 March 2012 - 08:49 PM, said:

Hula girls, spinners, shag carpet: Premium Content!

Posted Image

#25 Volume

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

View PostKaemon, on 14 March 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

Permission to add this to the New Player Start Here Thread, sir?

Make a "Public Service Announcement" thread and just put that at the top.

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 14 March 2012 - 12:49 AM, said:

I wouldn't get on the free to play will always be competitive bandwagon myself. That sounds counter intuitive when you figure that Mechwarrior has to turn a profit.

I can certainly see having additional mechs being store purchases, as well as varients of the mechs you already have access to. I would also see that the max you could get to in terms of weight classes as a free player who never drops a dime on the game might be light and medium mechs, and no advanced tech, no clans when they come out, and no special abilities like calling in airstrikes, and maybe not even being able to respawn.

Please tell me you're kidding, right? I don't expect everyone here to have read everything that I have about the game, but this is a pretty basic thing. Developers have expressed in several places that you will be able to start IN ANY WEIGHT CLASS YOU WANT. ANY. that means ASSAULT. And that BIGGER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER. So get this "all the noobs in their light 'mechs" thought out of your head, because this is not world of tanks. New players will have airstrikes if they're commanders. Anyone will be able to respawn if the game mode calls for it (Dropship).

There will be NO TACTICAL ADVANTAGES PROVIDED BY PURCHASING ANYTHING IN THIS GAME.

#26 Carebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

I dont even start to think about it until Ive seen it. Ive honestly seen all kind of system.

#27 Punk KMSD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

View Postkargush, on 14 March 2012 - 09:44 AM, said:

Posted Image

Those need to be pink..er..ish...color. :)

#28 Vtack

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

View PostDeath Blossom, on 13 March 2012 - 08:49 PM, said:

Hula girls, spinners, shag carpet: Premium Content!

If I can't get an in cockpit mirror ball this game will be a bust. Also can we have something similar to this:

So when I'm waiting around for that scout mech to come into range while I'm shut down I've got something to do.

#29 FinnMcKool

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 13 March 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

I am going to be 100% honest with you.

Yes, we will have a store with gear in it.

How much do you have to spend?

Spoiler

Maybe Im crazy (ok we all know the answer to that)

But what do you mean by Mech I start with ,and not upgrading and ECT ECT.....

your driving me sane (you dont want that) with all the new questions youve opened up .

#30 Bluey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

Paul owned the guy

#31 Qman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationCanberra. Oz

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

View PostVtack, on 14 March 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

If I can't get an in cockpit mirror ball this game will be a bust. Also can we have something similar to this:

So when I'm waiting around for that scout mech to come into range while I'm shut down I've got something to do.

Yes please!

#32 Fachxphyre

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

Having played both league of legends and world of tanks, I have to admit that i did actually blow some cash on both games (no pay tanks or gold rounds, i promise!), but i felt much better about my purchase for LoL in retrospect. Cosmetic changes and methods to hasten progress for the same benefits that a non-paying player would get eventually is the sort of system that I hope and pray for in this title. Thus far the devs have indicated, as others have said above, that it will NOT be a "pay to win" model, which is a great relief.

#33 Vtack

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

am I a horrible person if I say I'd pay to win? Those are questions for lesser men, or at least men with less money. My hope is that after pumping thousands of dollars into this game I'd have a stable of unstoppable mechs in various colors schemes perhaps color coded by day of the week. It's Monday, my blue mechs are on deck! you know that sort of thing.

All joking aside I think that Tribes:Ascend may get the free to play payment formula correct I'd reccomend taking a look in that direction for what MWO might be doing.

#34 BadAppel7017

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 25 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBurnsville, MN (USA)

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:43 AM

Skill is king...period. That isn't to say i'll be crowned anytime soon, but I'm not going to spend my hard-earned cash before my time. I'll be sure to put some cash down, but getting the SKILLS to play will be my first concerned...right after being a great lancemate and doing my part. I love that you are part of something besides yourself.

#35 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:45 AM

View Postcut672, on 13 March 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

How much money will I need to drop on this game in order for me to be able to compete fairly with other people? Am I only going to get all the low grade crap and anyone who is more lucky with money situation going to be golden and supreme?

Well if your tactical prowess is only matched by your ability to make a cogent thread title..... you MIGHT just have to hit the multi-state lotto...... 12 times in a row.

#36 GHQCommander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:05 AM

View PostSnowDragon, on 13 March 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

Drevs confirmed it won't be Pay to win. If they do it it remains to be seen. I suspect though, that weapons and mechs won't be available for real world money, only EXP/c-bills boosters.

Like he said :P

I think the $60 buy for increased XP and resources is a good deal. It's no different from buying your fave 1 player title for PC or a console but this gets you more really. So for the sake of the games future and their own play, I hope every player buys this.

I know people are short of money, but if you can come on a computer you usually have money for buying yourself something at some stage in the year. This is the thing to buy for sure. This games going to rock.

#37 GHQCommander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:20 AM

View PostFachxphyre, on 14 March 2012 - 03:09 PM, said:

Having played both league of legends and world of tanks, I have to admit that i did actually blow some cash on both games (no pay tanks or gold rounds, i promise!), but i felt much better about my purchase for LoL in retrospect. Cosmetic changes and methods to hasten progress for the same benefits that a non-paying player would get eventually is the sort of system that I hope and pray for in this title. Thus far the devs have indicated, as others have said above, that it will NOT be a "pay to win" model, which is a great relief.

Yes I feel better knowing my kills are because of my skill and that any advantage over another player is only because I have played more than them. Not because I spent more than them.

However I still like some very slight perks from a games store so I can actually spend. In this game they could offer an improved heat sink mod, maybe higher + longer jumping. Such mods would give an advantage that hardly means a player is far more deadly and all players have access to the items for free through playing. So it's still not like a player using store items is doing something a 100% free player can't do themselves.

#38 Noob Weapons

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 433 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:21 AM

Think about it this way. You can use whatever mech you want and be just as good as any other mech if you play it right. Buying parts is a way of customizing the mech into the way you want to play, and getting new mechs is the same. You get a mech you want to play, and you fulfill the role that that mech is meant to fill.

If you spend 20 dollars and buy a mech, then anyone can still compete with you.

I don't believe that there are any 'high level mechs' that will destroy all other mechs in their weight class. I think its more of different roles that different mech will perform.

The idea is to make the game balanced. No game developer is going to sit and spend time designing a mech that NOONE will buy, so they make the mechs all good in different ways for different reasons. If you don't have the time and money to spend on the game, then learn the role that the mech you have performs and get good with it. If you do not like the role that your mech fills and want to take a front line or support role, then put some time or money into the game to get the kind of mech that fits your playstyle.

I've not played the beta, so some of this is speculation, but most of it is common sense. It seems stupid for a designer to spend days creating a mech that noone wants to play. So the only reasonable solution is to make every mech viable.

#39 Major Tom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationIncomming!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

Everything I have read indicates money = time. You buy a reduced amount of time grinding to get what you want. It sounds like you will not be able to just buy a mech,but you will be able to buy cbill % booster to earn more in your matches, but you cannot avoid playing the game. This means that someone who plays alot will be on even footing with someone who plays less but buys boosters. And both will be at the mercy of players like me with plenty of time and disposable income. At least for a month or so. After that everything normalizes, because everyone can afford the gear they want.

#40 Tovran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 175 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:53 AM

A medium laser is a medium laser whether you get it with C-bills or potentially cash. No mark 5 gold plated turbo medium lasers that do twelve dmg for .2 heat with cash. No mechs can be purchased for cash that you can't get for c-bills (or so we have been led to believe).

Also except for hard point layout a 50 ton mech is pretty much the same thing as any other 50 ton mech, cosmetics aside. Yes there are things like arms and torso twist that might make a sort of difference (also JJ hardpoints or what not), but those don't really make a mech inherently more powerful. Certain hardpoint configs may allow certain builds though that perform better at a given task, but that is to be expected. So uh... zero dollars I geuss.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users