Mechwarrior Dark Age?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Vactus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 876 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

Had the clix, but used them as minis for other RPGs I was playing since no one else plays clix where I live.

I did read the books however. All of them, along with the rest of BattleTech, sitting on my bookshelves. I liked the series from a different point in time story.

#2 RL Nice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationA computer.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

Most BT fans loathe Dark Age, for a variety of reasons. I haven't played or read any of it, so I couldn't tell you.

#3 Jooky SeaCpt

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

I read the first two Dark Age books. The first one, written by Michael Stackpole, was pretty good. It has a different feel from other Battletech novels. Reading it I could see how Stackpole has really evolved as an author...and how he has grown tired of Battletech. The second Dark Age book I felt was too formulaic. I've thought about reading the final DA book to see how it all ends, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

#4 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

never happened....

#5 Foust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

I loved that clix game. I have a almost complete Republic of the Sphere set.

I dont get why there was so much hate of it. Yes it wasnt battletech but that was part of the draw. Pre-painted miniatures and games that play out in less than a hour, no off table stat tracking...

Its like having two kids, you love them both just differently. <_<

#6 RotS Targe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

Still play it, still curse Topps for shutting it down.
If you want to find players in your area, try here http://bg.battletech...pic,2605.0.html

#7 Woopass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 209 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

I read the novels they sell for a good bit on amazon

#8 Belial

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

Currently using my own minis for CBT with non-hex rules. It's amazing how many 3049-appropriate 'Mechs were actually released in the game; no Jenner, sadly, but the 'Mech called the Shockwave is a perfect substitute for the Hunchback.

The game was great and well-balanced, and people of all ages played at my game store back in the day. Topps/WizKids basically overkilled it with excessive marketing and needless "exclusive/officer's club" deals. That and releasing a new set every three months as opposed to every four or six months was annoying.

The books? Most of them were great, with some better than others, as expected. The realistic cover art was always a huge plus. The book titled "Blood Avatar" was one of the few books I've ever put down in my life, though. Never have been a fan of Ilsa J Bick. Eventually the series reached book twenty-something and started to lose direction, probably a reflection of the internal company struggles. Hard to continue a story when the company backing it is going under.

#9 Towpok

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationRa Calium cruiser

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

Ah... DA. It became Age of Destruction when I left. Fielded a Clan Falcon army of like 1 unique Shrike and 3 VTOL elementals, at 450pts. A less stupid version involved the DF Bounty Hunter's Marauder IIc, and a repairmech. As stupid as hell, but both armies (if they even count as one) made every battle an epic fight against ridiculous odds.

Dragon's Fury were my favorite unit however. I some times wish I got pin-up posters of some Amaterasu pilots. :mellow:

Its gone under now, as it is with my youth. :unsure:

Edited by Towpok, 02 October 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#10 Selrinn

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

My friends and i used to play at the local comic shop and game den. I have a full set of Liao, Spirit Cats and clan jade falcon. Tons of others.. sadly wizkids killed it with too many releases. They retired old sets for competitive play and after spending so much on the products to not be able to use them in tournie's was stupid, especially after only 3 months. Age of destruction effectivly killed the game in my opinion.

Was very annoyed as it took me up until then to finally get the Spirit Cat Mad Cat and then everyone local quit :mellow:

Oh yeah.. forgot i also won the drop ship at a local tournie with a formation of Liao Arty and a Warhammer IIC(Dock Steward)

#11 RL Nice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationA computer.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

I don't know Dark Age that well, but is it me or are a lot of people namedropping Unseen designs? Are they the Phoenix Hawk versions?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users