Community Q&A 5 - 'Mech Warfare

137 replies to this topic

#81 Spooky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:58 AM

View PostSiilk, on 14 March 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

It was "destroy", not "immobilize" or "incapacitate". Is it something else that is implied by "destruction of a battlemech" in that case?

"Destroy" doesn't mean "Explode". This is a game after all. I simply means that your Mech is taken out, regardless of the final death animation (explosion or toppling over).

#82 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

[DAVID] A standard laser fires a continuous beam that applies damage over time while it remains on.

So I guess we can practice up on lasers by using continuous beam lasers like the ones that came available in the MekTek version of MW4 Mercenaries? ... and Pulse lasers work the same as always?

also

Both Legs for a kill? What happens when only one leg is destroyed?

#83 Spooky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostRender, on 15 March 2012 - 08:22 AM, said:

[DAVID] A standard laser fires a continuous beam that applies damage over time while it remains on.

So I guess we can practice up on lasers by using continuous beam lasers like the ones that came available in the MekTek version of MW4 Mercenaries? ... and Pulse lasers work the same as always?

MekTek's version of MW4:Mercs? What did they change with the lasers? Anyway, neither the pulse lasers nor the regular beam lasers in MWO will work like in MW4. While the MW4 lasers do discharge over time, they only damage one point on the Mech. The beam stays on the impact point, regardless of your or the enemy's Mech movement (which looks silly of course). Same with the Pulse Laser.

If you want to practice such a behaviour of Beam and Pulse Lasers, you can try MWLL.

Both Legs for a kill? What happens when only one leg is destroyed?

They probably start to limp. That's how it is in MW4 at least.

Edited by Spooky, 15 March 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#84 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

View PostSpooky, on 15 March 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

MekTek's version of MW4:Mercs? What did they change with the lasers?
If you want to practice such a behaviour of Beam and Pulse Lasers, you can try MWLL.

Why are you replying to my question with a question?
The MekTek version had a completely different type of laser that acted like IRL lasers called continuous beam.
That is how it sounds the MWO lasers will work.
They did not change anything about the other lasers. ...and I do not have MWLL.

"They probably start to limp. That's how it is in MW4 at least."

Nooo... Thats Not how it is in MW4, if you hit the leg of a limping mech again in MW4 the entire mech exploded... sounds to me like you never played it or its been a long time. I play MekTek's MW4M every day.

#85 Namwons

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 546 posts
  • LocationFactory, Solaris VII

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

Pulse Laser: take a laser pointer. press it 3-4 times. every time that red dot hits something. damage. pulse laser

...the mektek continous beam laser would be the closest thing in MW4, but its still not a pulse laser. MWLL (and MWO) is spot on.

Edited by Namwons, 15 March 2012 - 09:38 AM.

#86 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

View PostNamwons, on 15 March 2012 - 09:37 AM, said:

...the mektek continuous beam laser would be the closest thing in MW4, but its still not a pulse laser. MWLL (and MWO) is spot on.

Okay... so are we in agreement that the (mektek continuous beam laser) works like the (MWO Laser)
and
The closest thing to a (MWO Pulse laser) is also the (mektek continuous beam laser) but it blinks on and off ?

Ohwww come on Staff... is this true? (MWO Laser) = (mektek continuous beam laser) ?

Edited by Render, 15 March 2012 - 10:37 AM.

#87 Featherhorse Ravenwater

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

Wait a minute..... I've gotten all worked up for a sim that was designed as a mouse/keyboard game?

For the love of combat guys, get on the stick. Literally.

-crosses fingers-

#88 Spooky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

View PostRender, on 15 March 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

Why are you replying to my question with a question?

You were asking:

So I guess we can practice up on lasers by using continuous beam lasers like the ones that came available in the MekTek version of MW4 Mercenaries?

Since I didn't know MekTek changed or introduced a new kind of laser, that does not work like the standard ones present in MW4(:Merc), I was asking:

View PostSpooky, on 15 March 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

MekTek's version of MW4:Mercs? What did they change with the lasers?

So I guess we can practice up on lasers by using continuous beam lasers like the ones that came available in the MekTek version of MW4 Mercenaries?

I can't really say for sure if MekTek's new laser in MW4 works the same way. Do you happen to have any video somewhere, showing these?

Nooo... Thats Not how it is in MW4, if you hit the leg of a limping mech again in MW4 the entire mech exploded...

That's not what you were asking. You were asking what happens, if you just destroy one leg. And it's likely that it's going to be like in MW4, where the Mech starts limping after you destroy one of its legs. After that, the similarities to MW4 may end, but it could still be like in MW4, that damage done to a destroyed leg gets transfered to the Center Torso. The devs have not clarified that yet. They only said that the Mech counts as destroyed, when you destroy both legs (as it would also in MW4).

sounds to me like you never played it or its been a long time. I play MekTek's MW4M every day.

Yes, it has been a while since I played MekTek's MW4:Mercs. I played for some time after its initial release, that's why I don't know about the new laser, probably. I only followed some videos after that, but there was no reason for me to go back to MW4:Mercs due to MWLL :P.

View PostFeatherhorse Ravenwater, on 15 March 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

Wait a minute..... I've gotten all worked up for a sim that was designed as a mouse/keyboard game?

For the love of combat guys, get on the stick. Literally.

-crosses fingers-

The devs already said numerous times, that other input controllers will be supported as well (not just simple Joysticks). If not at launch, then later on.

Edited by Spooky, 15 March 2012 - 11:04 AM.

#89 Wilddog

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

Concerning alternative input devices: there is talk of a kinect version for the pc. Is this something you
1)never consided
2)looking at -but not now
3)working on it
imagine actually flipping switches and pressing buttons while still using a joystick

#90 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hey Wait... what about PPC's ?
How will they work?

#91 Spooky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

View PostRender, on 15 March 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

Hey Wait... what about PPC's ?
How will they work?

Probably not very different from the other MechWarrior games, I'd guess. Except MechWarrior 2, where the projectile was slow as hell :P.

#92 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

View PostSpooky, on 15 March 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

Probably not very different from the other MechWarrior games, I'd guess. Except MechWarrior 2, where the projectile was slow as hell :P.

Jeez... I sure hope you are right Spooky, In fact I so totaly loved the way MW2 PPC's worked... man that was cool.
Just like IRL football hail mary pass. Lead your target and if you hit?!?!?!? wooohoooo

#93 VarietyOfCells

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 904 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNYC

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 14 March 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

Specific to the control interface, what devices other than keyboard and mouse has the game been tested with for program-ability? Can keys be reconfigured in a setup screen for instance. –Vexgrave Lars

Yes, all keys and buttons can be completely reconfigured. And we have been looking at alternate controls beyond a keyboard and mouse (joystick, pedals, throttle, etc.) but those have yet to be fully nailed down.

If this question reaches you after joystick controls have been worked out, will there be the ability to edit a non-linear curve for the axis controls? In the past I have been able to get something comfortable adjusting only sensitivity, but once I start using the zoom reticle the joystick controls become way too sensitive and I can't hit anything. If I could adjust the curve then that would smooth out the more precise motions while still allowing me to turn quickly, resulting in much less frustration.

Edited by VarietyOfCells, 15 March 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#94 Lokisonn

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:35 AM

Excellent info. But ask someone asked earlier, what happens when your mech loses a leg. Does it limp around, fall flat, or remain standing but unable to move in anyway (perhaps the pilot's neural feedback is keeping the mech balanced)

#95 firefox117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:18 AM

I just to know if itll work the the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog setup. I currently use it for DCS A-10, but sure would be nice if I can get it up and running in this game.

#96 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:30 AM

View PostLokisonn, on 16 March 2012 - 12:35 AM, said:

Excellent info. But ask someone asked earlier, what happens when your mech loses a leg. Does it limp around, fall flat, or remain standing but unable to move in anyway

Yeah..! That's what I want to know

#97 MERIR ASTELAN

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

One of my favorite things about this franchise and its dedicated fan base is the attention to detail in all aspects! I am very happy to see that its continuing to be implimented in this game. Sounds like a bunch of engineers around a table building their dream mech not just someone trying to pump out a game to make money. Awesome to see!

Edited by MERIR ASTELAN, 17 March 2012 - 08:51 AM.

#98 Dhread

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationHill Country, Texas

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

*Weapon convergence is a great concept. Hopefully, implementation of a manual set point, or overriding at least for single weapons / single weapon mounts (ie:all weapons on the left arm) will be critical for snipping (read: small mechs). In any event, it is logical that grouping weapons from different locations and mounts (arm/turret/etc) would require a convergence setting.
*It has been mentioned that melee/hand-to-hand mech combat may not be implemented in game play immediatly. Remember that in TT game, all those legs and arms strewn around the battlefield made great clubs (and recall the Hatchet). I'm more of a DFA pilot when it comes to desperate moves, but I do recall one game when a Maruder lost its head to a Phoenix Hawk's leg...good times.
*HUD colors are nice, but can the information blocks on the HUD itself be moved/altered?
*If you have a UAV launched, can you change your view to third person? (Can UAV's be targeted or jammed?)
*Commander tree allows calling artillery/air fire support. Will mechs be able to send targeting to the Commander calling in this fire support, or will the commander 'pick a hex' and 'wait one turn' for fire to effect?
*I really, really, really hope that in addition to armor/weapon/module mods (mentioned for mechlab), that one can modify heat sink allocation.

#99 Dhread

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationHill Country, Texas

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

View PostRender, on 16 March 2012 - 08:30 AM, said:

Yeah..! That's what I want to know

Hopefully mechs still have gyros and the mech warrior gets a piloting check to remain standing.
In TT, you did hop around on one leg at a much slower pace. Jumping also took on a whole new level of difficulty. Loose two legs...eject (or consider yourself a gun emplacement).

#100 Creedious

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:14 PM

This game..... is going to be so freaking complex.

I'm gonna love it! ;)

Woot 100th reply :3

Edited by HerpDerpMerp, 17 March 2012 - 10:14 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users