Will there be NHUA?

166 replies to this topic

#141 Beef Con Carne

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

Having played on Mercs on Mechwarrior Leagues I can say that I loved the H/LA games like Brawler, Team Rush and Capture the Flag. It really got people to thinking how to use their Pulse Lasers on their Novas and Sunders, what maps were cold maps, what maps were hot maps, how many heat sinks to pack. Having played both NH/UA and with Heat, I think there is a place for both. NH/UA was just fun to play and mess around in a Nova or Mad Cat and just chain someone til they popped.

#142 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

The earlier poll demonstrated to ALL of us that the pro NHUA crowd is statistically insignificant and should be ignored.

#143 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 13 April 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

The earlier poll demonstrated to ALL of us that the pro NHUA crowd is statistically insignificant and should be ignored.

Except that we all know that this forum has a an over-representation of the other crowd.

#144 CW Grayson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:04 AM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 13 April 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

OR it can be implemented, as it does no harm and not much work.

#145 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDanielsville, Georgia

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

When i saw the title to this post my first thought was "Yeah...this guy's gonna get turtle aids." baaahahahaha.

I played around with NHUA a long time ago because i sucked and lacked creativity at the time. But when i started playing with units that competed in the MWL and i was forced to play only 1st person, with heat and limited ammo in a competetive ladder match in which when you die you don't come back, i never went back. The only time i ever logged into a NHUA match since then was if no other open server was available.

Why would you install a SIM game like MW only to tweak setting to turn it into an arcade? That's like going to Starbucks and asking for a normal cup of coffee.

#146 CW Grayson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:48 PM

View PostXxDRxDEATHxX, on 14 April 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

Why would you install a SIM game like MW only to tweak setting to turn it into an arcade? That's like going to Starbucks and asking for a normal cup of coffee.

Again, because i maybe want to play the game the simple way?
And again, personally i will not use this option, but i see no points against it. I see no reason to not let people play the game as they want. If they want to play in a simplified mode, let them. Soon many of them will miss the goodies the "real" game gives and come over.
Just an option to catch more players.

Edited by CW Grayson, 19 April 2012 - 11:49 PM.

#147 Havoc2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 505 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:39 AM

It seems to me that the general arguement against NHUA is:

"I don't like it, so it shouldn't be there"

Can we maybe make some plausible arguements against NHUA instead of the kindergarten line?

#148 SilentObserver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

View Post}{avoc, on 20 April 2012 - 05:39 AM, said:

Can we maybe make some plausible arguements against NHUA instead of the kindergarten line?

Actually the arguments that have been already stated, and then ignored go as follows.

Adding NHUA type of game will asymmetrically divide the player base. It happened with MW4 there is no reason to believe it wouldnt happen with MWO. The concern is that, Since HLA have a steeper learning curve new players will naturally gravitate towards NHUA games. This will leave the HLA players with few options for games. Boiled down, the concern is that adding NHUA will basically relegate HLA to niche part of MWO where you are lucky to find a match. This is a valid concern because it HAPPENED in MW4.

Added to this concern is the fact that there is nothing currently on the market that is remotely like a HLA game of MWO. There are several mech games available if you want the NHUA style of play.

By not having a NHUA setting it will force new players to play HLA games. Most will like it, some won't. But if NHUA is available a lot of those players that would have like HLA if they had given it a chance never will.

None of what i just posted is new. Its all been brought up in this thread before. how bout the NHUA guys provide a response to these arguments rather than ignoring them or going "Nuh-uh".

Kindergarten enough for you?

#149 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

View PostSilentObserver, on 20 April 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

Actually the arguments that have been already stated, and then ignored go as follows.

Adding NHUA type of game will asymmetrically divide the player base. It happened with MW4 there is no reason to believe it wouldnt happen with MWO. The concern is that, Since HLA have a steeper learning curve new players will naturally gravitate towards NHUA games. This will leave the HLA players with few options for games. Boiled down, the concern is that adding NHUA will basically relegate HLA to niche part of MWO where you are lucky to find a match. This is a valid concern because it HAPPENED in MW4.

Added to this concern is the fact that there is nothing currently on the market that is remotely like a HLA game of MWO. There are several mech games available if you want the NHUA style of play.

By not having a NHUA setting it will force new players to play HLA games. Most will like it, some won't. But if NHUA is available a lot of those players that would have like HLA if they had given it a chance never will.

None of what i just posted is new. Its all been brought up in this thread before. how bout the NHUA guys provide a response to these arguments rather than ignoring them or going "Nuh-uh".

We have. At almost every point in this thread, those of us in favour of NHUA have explicitly stated that we want to limit the types of XP rewards available in NHUA. People will be incentivized to play HLA in the meta-game because there are more progression rewards. It's a compromise. Nobody will play NHUA forever if it halts their progression to unlock other items/mechs/etc. This way they WILL HAVE TO give HLA a chance in order to advance in other types of XP.

#150 Havoc2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 505 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

View PostSilentObserver, on 20 April 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

Look, I can make up anything I want and use it as an argument for/against NHUA.

Are the anti-NHUA people seriously worried that NHUA will take away all the HOLA players? There are 80,000+ members on this forum, all fans of BTech/MechWarrior, all looking to make their mark on the galaxy.
You think that they're all going to get bored and play NHUA when they don't get c-bills, XP, upgrades or other bonuses?

Almost anyone I've seen who is "pro" NHUA (except for maybe THOTHMW4) has basically said they're in favour of adding it, but wouldn't be playing it that much, pretty much just to blow off steam when they're waiting for corp members, bored, whatever.

NHUA isn't going to cause a rift between the players, it MAY cause/allow some NHUA MWO ladders or clans to pop up that aren't interested in advancing the timeline. Hell it may cause/allow some merc corps/guilds/clans/whatever that are playing HOLA to create NHUA alter-egos just for s.hits & giggles.

The "argument" that NHUA will kill off the HOLA part of the game has been disregarded or ignored completely because it's ludicrous.
Same with the "argument" that all the 'Mechs, weapons, maps et al would need to be rebalanced just for NHUA play.

Edited by }{avoc, 20 April 2012 - 12:03 PM.

#151 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

There won't be NHUA.

It would split the community, and get rid of a c-bill sink. It's not going to happen.

#152 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

View Postverybad, on 20 April 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

There won't be NHUA.

It would split the community, and get rid of a c-bill sink. It's not going to happen.

Exactly. And if anyone know comes with "Why, because you said so?": YES, BECAUSE WE SAID SO! :rolleyes:

#153 Lycan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

View Post}{avoc, on 20 April 2012 - 05:39 AM, said:

And the only arguments that seem to be for it are "Because it wouldn't hurt anything".

Which is just an opinion, much like all the arguments against NHUA.

Edited by Lycan, 20 April 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#154 renegade mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

View PostTHOTHMW4, on 14 March 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

Well, I had to ask. The best of the breed played NHUA... Has to be here. THOTH

What a troll. Seriously man, best of the breed playing NHUA? Takes lots of skill to not manage heat, and not manage weapons. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Edited by Renegade Mitchell, 20 April 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#155 pursang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts
  • LocationSurrey BC, Canada

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostRenegade Mitchell, on 20 April 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

What a troll. Seriously man, best of the breed playing NHUA? Takes lots of skill to not manage heat, and not manage weapons. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#156 CW Grayson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:13 AM

First, good to see that almost all people here have good behaviour, even at a topic like this.
I think that is what will make the community of MWO so there is no worry about it that "NHUA-players" will take over.

There are all the pros/cons in this topic here, so let us stop and the dev's decide.

#157 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:54 AM

Meh lets be honest this thread was started in lunacy...and has spiraled.

As long as NHUA has nothing to do with the metagame, and NO (yes thats 0) Xp/cbills are earned in it, there is no reason not to have it for those that want to play the dumbed down version for funsies.

#158 Havoc2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 505 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:34 AM

View Postverybad, on 20 April 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

There won't be NHUA.

This cracks me up as in THIS THREAD (http://mwomercs.com/...rd-person-view/) the first thing people started to suggest was splitting the community into 1st and 3rd person views ONLY.

You going to tell me that there will be far more people playing NHUA than there will be people who want to play 3rd person?

#159 Belial

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

*shakes head* I thought I put the nail in the coffin of this thread (or one exactly like it).

I give up. Carry on. *walks away a la ragecomic penguin*

#160 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostBelial, on 26 April 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

I give up. Carry on. *walks away a la ragecomic penguin*

I don't know what that is, and due to it's high meme-esque overtones, I won't bother looking it up either.

30 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 30 guests, 0 anonymous users