13 replies to this topic

#1 carl kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 395 posts
  • LocationMoon Base Alpha

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

Grandma had her apple pie. Thanksgiving had a nice turkey dinner. What birthday cake didn't have ice cream.
So please tell me we are going to have joystick support as soon as MWO launches its beta. If its something I missed in the blogs please excuse this post but I sincerely hope for joystick support in beta and beyond. I disdain the use of a mouse :D to pilot my mech war machine. Can a DEV person confirm this? Thanks for listening.

CK

#2 redyellowpink

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

I always preferred just keyboard, using the NUM pad for pitch and torso twist etc, something about a huge array of buttons feels so mechwarriory!

#3 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

Specific to the control interface, what devices other than keyboard and mouse has the game been tested with for program-ability? Can keys be reconfigured in a setup screen for instance. –Vexgrave Lars

[DAVID] Yes, all keys and buttons can be completely reconfigured. And we have been looking at alternate controls beyond a keyboard and mouse (joystick, pedals, throttle, etc.) but those have yet to be fully nailed down.

http://mwomercs.com/...-5-mech-warfare

Clearly they are working hard to have a good solution for everyone.
So there is no reason for you or anyone else to stress about their joystick support.
If its not up to scratch or buggy or your stick just got skipped over on launch you can play with M+KB until they fix it up or setup your fancy stick as a generic controller until true support is added.

Keep in mind this game is launching as minimum viable product and will be built upon constantly over time.
This will mean patches will come every few days as things get added, tweaked and solved.
If your stick is not supported or working fully on launch it may only be a few days, weeks or months before its fixed, a much better out look than the years it takes most major AAA titles to correct or add this kind of thing.

This is part of the joy of a proper F2P model, things don't stay broken for long because if the core is not solid and supported by constant growth it wont make any money. (something big titles like BF3 could learn from)

Also, in the absolute worst case scenario if your specific stick is not supported you can use a Joy2Key program to convert your joystick inputs to key presses (or another controller type) and then if needed change things with the in game menus also.
There are plenty of them out there, most of them free and Google knows about all of them.

#4 carl kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 395 posts
  • LocationMoon Base Alpha

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

View PostNaduk, on 14 March 2012 - 05:49 PM, said:

http://mwomercs.com/...-5-mech-warfare

Clearly they are working hard to have a good solution for everyone.
So there is no reason for you or anyone else to stress about their joystick support.
If its not up to scratch or buggy or your stick just got skipped over on launch you can play with M+KB until they fix it up or setup your fancy stick as a generic controller until true support is added.

Keep in mind this game is launching as minimum viable product and will be built upon constantly over time.
This will mean patches will come every few days as things get added, tweaked and solved.
If your stick is not supported or working fully on launch it may only be a few days, weeks or months before its fixed, a much better out look than the years it takes most major AAA titles to correct or add this kind of thing.

This is part of the joy of a proper F2P model, things don't stay broken for long because if the core is not solid and supported by constant growth it wont make any money. (something big titles like BF3 could learn from)

Also, in the absolute worst case scenario if your specific stick is not supported you can use a Joy2Key program to convert your joystick inputs to key presses (or another controller type) and then if needed change things with the in game menus also.
There are plenty of them out there, most of them free and Google knows about all of them.

You my friend are true optimist..I like that. :D Born and raised on Mech 2 using my CH PRO so I want... NO crave that kind of experience in MWO. My gut feeling tells me those guys at PGI loved to play MECH 2 as well and based lots of of there creative decisions around that. To me thats a HUGE plus because I had the most fun tromping around in the MECH2 world.

CK

#5 Randal Waide

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 217 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

I hope sticks are supported on launch. I won't feel right pushing a mouse. The joystick makes me feel more like piloting a Mech. But hey, I'm from th future. :D

#6 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

For some reason I grew to like the mouse. Don't know why, think I used a joystick for MW2 and all... though I thought they said they would have joystick support just maybe not all the rudder/throttle stuff right away but they're aware of the vast numbers of controls people want to use. Think TrackIR support was mentioned and now I almost want it just for this :D

#7 FinnMcKool

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

I have no doubt there will be joystick support.

#8 Fluffinator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 132 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

This is my helmet-screen the size of your wall...
Posted Image

#9 SnowDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 476 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland, Australia

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

Son of a *****, I want one.

#10 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

I came here looking for something dirty.

#11 Titus Pullo XIII

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationNova Roma

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

There has to be a way to have Stick/Throttle only matches. I'm replaying MW4 (I know, I know) with my X52. It's much more satisfying but using that setup against someone with a mouse/keyboard...well there's a reason Microsoft quietly buried that PC/Xbox online thing.

I think my favorite bit is flipping up that little "SAFE" cover which I have set as my Alpha Strike.

Edited by Titus Pullo XIII, 14 March 2012 - 10:06 PM.

#12 Charles Martel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationQuentin. Wish you were here Hanse?

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

View PostFluffinator, on 14 March 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

This is my helmet-screen the size of your wall...
Posted Image

Combine that with TrackIR........

Epic Win

#13 metro

• 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:13 AM

okie doke....the Devs just addressed this very topic again, in the latest Q&A pposted yesterday.

.....not too mention this dead horse topic being kicked around again,

A full list of support hardware etc has not been published as of yet,

so we will move forward.

Posted Image

>click<

#14 metro

• 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:15 AM

As I said Carl,

a full list of supported hardware has not been listed or reported.

I would bet my house, that you will all not be required to just use a keyboard.

Heck knowing these MWO devs, they will cover the gammitt! If not at launch,

it could come as updates.....BE PATIENT.

We havent even seen beta yet...there is still time, and We have the best making the

best! :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users