55 replies to this topic

#21 VegetaL

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

I Love me some 40k, i own 2000 pts of imperial guard and 1500 pts of nids. BT universe is better much richer ;)

#22 gotthammer

• PipPip
  • Corporal
  • Corporal
  • 23 posts
  • LocationLost in the Uncharted Territories

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

I used to play. I had a Black Templar army (usually involved the use of 3x Land Raider Crusaders) which I sometimes mixed in w/ some Sisters of Battle (one LRC, a heavy choice, I think, was used to transport the squad. AoF was that anti-armour one to go w/ the 3 or so flamers in the SoB squad).
I also had a Craftworld Iyanden Eldar army. I quit when the new Eldar rules made it so that I had to buy more stuff to make my list legal.
I think the only WH40k stuff I still own are a few bits and pieces and that Gaunt's Ghost squad thingy (was thinking of starting Imperial Guard before I quit).
I played some Warmachine after that, but, now, I no longer play anything non-digital (used to play CCGs, PnP RPGs, etc...but I always have been a PC gamer first)

I still love the lore/setting, tho'. Particularly Gaunt's Ghosts and Ciaphas Cain stuff. :(

#23 AdamBaines

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

Im not a 40k Player but I enjoy reading the books and learning about the Lore from Lexicanum. I love how thee are so many Space Marine Chapters that most of them do not have lore associated to them (or not much) and you can role play them how you like. Pretty cool.

#24 StompyMcGee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

I used to enjoy the fluff, but frankly it's gotten ridiculous. Powered armour offers no restriction to a Space Marine's movement - it somehow seems that they have access to a no clip cheat, because they do stuff you can't possibly do without having bits of armour move through other bits of armour.
Plus, the novels fail to get even basic science right - I forget which one it was, but when some ***** author tells you a surface is hot to touch, AND has condensation on it, I gave up.

#25 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

View PostStompyMcGee, on 19 March 2012 - 09:36 AM, said:

I used to enjoy the fluff, but frankly it's gotten ridiculous. Powered armour offers no restriction to a Space Marine's movement - it somehow seems that they have access to a no clip cheat, because they do stuff you can't possibly do without having bits of armour move through other bits of armour.
Plus, the novels fail to get even basic science right - I forget which one it was, but when some ***** author tells you a surface is hot to touch, AND has condensation on it, I gave up.

There is Sci-Fi and simple Fiction. Wh 40k was never in the former category. :(

#26 Grayson Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany Erfurt

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

1500pts of Chaos Space Mariens here. Building a 1000pts Pre-Heresy-Luna Wolves Army at the moment.

I started after i played the Dawn of War-games and i like the lore too but i hate Dan Abnett. His hate of females is legendary and the only guy that is even worse then him in writing terrible stuff is Matt Ward.

#27 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

You will die by traitorous hands!

#28 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 19 March 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

You will die by traitorous hands!

Simple quotes are nothing if they are not proven by wise words or actions. :(

#29 Bluey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

I started working in citadel :3 Literally
Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Bluey, 19 March 2012 - 11:07 AM.

#30 Sarriss

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

Warhammer 40K was my first love. I was never much into the table top aspect but between the lore and the books it really grabbed me. Then Relic produced the amazing and deservingly applauded Dawn of War series, that cemented my love for it forever.

Sure, it's more fantasy then sci-fi, but I think given it's roots that's understandable. I think it fits a bit better with fantasy in space anyway, don't get me wrong, I love sci-fi and I love wondering how we will continue to evolve as humans and see the stars and many authors capture it in believable and well researched science that remains plausible. However WH40K puts us well beyond any of that scope, 40 thousand years in the future, where Space Marines are genetically engineered by knowledge stolen from the warp god's themselves. You want to do it the franchise injustice, then dumb it down and call it space magic, it doesn't matter, it's still an amazingly rich and long history about giant marines who fight the numerous races that wish to exterminate humanity. The imperial guard, the men and women who sacrifice everything in an instant to preserve one of the billion worlds in the Imperium.

Whether you want to envision yourself as one of the feared Space Marines, or as a hardened human of the Guard the universe offers something to everyone. It's not about the realism, it's about the over the top self-seriousness and pure balls out ridiculousness that makes it charming, graphic, brutal and entertaining.

If you do want to learn about the lore, then the Horus Heresy series of books is a damn good place to start. You may not like the style of all the authors (I do for the most part) but it certainly is worth the read.

However, if you are looking for human on human atrocities, with a middle ages feel, with the great nations warring constantly for wealth, power, resources and land and a splash of robot on robot action for flavour...the Battletech universe is a pretty good place too.

#31 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

View PostBluey, on 19 March 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

Posted Image

Imperium has a very different approach to anything non-human. :)

Posted Image

Inquisition has already noticed you. You have 2 hours to get to the border of Imperium to run away from them. :D

#32 Bluey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

View PostAdridos, on 19 March 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

Imperium has a very different approach to anything non-human. :)

Posted Image

Inquisition has already noticed you. You have 2 hours to get to the border of Imperium to run away from them. :rolleyes:

Who said Im non human.Imperium knows which is zeno or not.
Lol if I show you official warhammer human races you would have a hard time to understand they are human.Ahh good ol days Before Emperor had to sit on his golden throne of Terra half dead.Clonning and genetic alteration was free.Ratlings :D Giants, Drawfs, Winged angels ,wolfguard and many others but NOOO they had to remove them with each new edition.Fenris wolf guard will be reproduced after all these years yay for new codex.

Edited by Bluey, 19 March 2012 - 12:19 PM.

#33 Polymorphyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 489 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:30 AM

My introduction to 40k (as opposed to fantasy which I encountered earlier) was the Space Crusade Board Game. (Basically Space Hulk but normal power armour instead of terminator armour, and a mixed alien force of gretchin, orks, genestealers, chaos marines, androids and a dreadnaught) (Those androids where actually the predecessors that inspired the Necrons)

My first army was Blood Angels- One of my favourite space marine chapters, noble warrior-angels in red power armour with a dark curse that afflicts them. Also the most artistic chapter.
Then, I bought a squad of imperial guardsmen, to use as allies for my Blood Angels (I wanted to fight campaigns were it wasn't just marines defending imperial worlds!)
Ever since then, I never stopped buying more guardsmen... until the time came when the guard were no longer "allies" but my main army.
Nowadays, I am still collecting guard
Currently have:
3 Infantry Platoons (Each having 30+ Guardsmen and a command squad)
2 Veteran Squads (Alot of these are the old Last Chancers Models)
Various Heavy Weapons (3 Autocannons, 4 Mortars, 2 or 3 Heavy Bolters, 3 missile launchers....)
1 Chimera (its missing a turret, hatch and lasguns, so its a fixer upper)
3 Leman Russes
1 Baneblade
Various Comissars, Officers, Characters, etc.

I am now also restarting my blood angels army (I gave my old blood angels to my father). The new army is being started with the Space Hulk Terminators (which are amazing minis and not easy to get) I am also starting a Tyranid army based around the Space Hulk Genestealers.
I am also never going to stop adding to my guard army- I hope to collect an entire Regiment.

Emperor had to sit on his golden throne of Terra half dead.Clonning and genetic alteration was free.Ratlings :) Giants, Drawfs, Winged angels ,wolfguard and many others but NOOO they had to remove them with each new edition.Fenris wolf guard will be reproduced after all these years yay for new codex.

None of those resulted from cloning or genetic alteration. The only genetic alteration/cloning was what the Emperor did initially to create the primarchs and space marines. From then on, Sanguinus (The blood angel primarch) grew wings due to the mutating effects of the warp, ratlings and ogryn were mutants that evolved from humans on worlds with different amounts of gravity, dwarfs were a seperate race called the squats, and the Wolf Guard are not mutants, simply elite space wolves who wear wolf helmets.

Edited by Longsword, 20 March 2012 - 12:33 AM.

#34 Althix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:38 AM

as tabletop game warhammer and warhammer 40k is more complicated than a battletech.

#35 LordDeathStrike

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:45 AM

View PostKizsam Bolt, on 17 March 2012 - 07:33 AM, said:

Dark angels player here, been a while since i played the tabletop but i'm currently playing the DoW II. This summer i'll probably collect the new Dark Eldar. What's your favourite race?

i loved my necrons, till they decided to just retcon their gods and make them useless.

*pre nerf necrons* "What can your gods do against us, we can not die, we are the never ending night, all life will be purged"

*post nerf necrons* "....." no gods, no voice, theyre just terminators without skynet to guide them!

Edited by LordDeathStrike, 20 March 2012 - 12:47 AM.

#36 Duncan Jr Fischer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationKyiv

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

I am a great fan of 40K, though a pretty specific fan. I think this world will be a paradise when we get rid of all the ork, chaos, necron and mon-keigh scum.

View PostLordDeathStrike, on 20 March 2012 - 12:45 AM, said:

*pre nerf necrons* "What can your gods do against us, we can not die, we are the never ending night, all life will be purged"

No.
*pre nerf necrons* (silently purging everything)
*post nerf necrons* "blah-blah-blah we can't do anything bla-blah-blah"

Edited by Duncan Jr Fischer, 20 March 2012 - 12:51 AM.

#37 Althix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

true, new codex:necrons is terrible fluff wise.
it is almost as bad as codex chaos space marines 4th ed.. after necrons and grey knights i just don't know what to expect from new codex of CSMs.
and speaking about tabletop - for example i have 3 stars of Ghost Bears mechs - 15 in total. In warhammer setting i have almost 180 models of chaos marines with 4 rhinos and 2 predators. ans skaven army almost 100 units in total.
scale of warfare is diffrent to the core.

Edited by Althix, 20 March 2012 - 12:50 AM.

#38 LordDeathStrike

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:57 AM

View PostAlthix, on 20 March 2012 - 12:50 AM, said:

true, new codex:necrons is terrible fluff wise.
it is almost as bad as codex chaos space marines 4th ed.. after necrons and grey knights i just don't know what to expect from new codex of CSMs.
and speaking about tabletop - for example i have 3 stars of Ghost Bears mechs - 15 in total. In warhammer setting i have almost 180 models of chaos marines with 4 rhinos and 2 predators. ans skaven army almost 100 units in total.
scale of warfare is diffrent to the core.

hehe trade in some of that army for a warlord titan (thats gotta be the same battle value as an entire clans mechs in 1 monster no?)

Titan dual bolter arm, fires shells the size of school buses, each blessed with the entire faith of the human race (which in warhammer 40k is quadrillions of zealous worshippers).

BIGGER IS ALWAYS BETTER! FOR THE EMPRAH

#39 Althix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

mmm no it's a very bad idea to compare and draw parallels between bt and wh. rules for everything is different. In scale heavy/assault mechs almost as tall as warhound titan. in level of destruction - titan is far more superior than mechs.

let's just say - in battletech it's all about calculations to 12, in wh is much more than that. every single unit have it's stats, rules and other stuff.
let bt stand alone and wh stand alone.

#40 Duncan Jr Fischer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationKyiv

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:10 AM

View PostAlthix, on 20 March 2012 - 12:38 AM, said:

as tabletop game warhammer and warhammer 40k is more complicated than a battletech.

Won't agree on that one. The scale is different, yes, but if you match the scale and take as many mechs as you field infantry or at least squads - you'll get much more detailed and complicated battle than you have in 40K. 40K is great but much more primitive than BT. Yet more fast-paced, which is good, and of course much brighter and spectacular in a matter of minis and stuff.
I dare to say BT is pure chess, just of larger scale and much more types of figures and a dice. Models are not even necessary.
While 40K is much more about toy soldiers with some great rules for a quick spectacular game of WAR)

Edited by Duncan Jr Fischer, 20 March 2012 - 01:13 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users