• Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:58 PM

10:21, 15 May 3025,
Interior Modified Union Class Dropship
Docked Planetary Space Port, Bay 15
Galatia III, Fed Suns.

Susan (she still didn’t think of herself as Oscar internally, even though no one had called her Susan for a few years now) listened intently to Gabriel’s briefing. Star League equipment. Whoa. That was one heck of a prize to go chasing. It was huge. Fantastic. It was...

...well, to be fair, it sounded a lot like one of Nelson’s stories. She might actually impress the old man.

"Why bother with jumpships when we've got a target here? I'd just as soon stay on planet and hit the close objective. We'll save time and money, not to mention we all already know this planet at least a little bit." Katja stopped, realizing it was starting to sound a little desperate.

"Well she's got a point there, and perhaps with this tourist spot here we shouldn't have to worry about too many professional claim jumper, unless you were followed or there is something more you haven't divulged yet? You got any fly over information or satellite images of the area? Have there been any disappearances of aircraft around that area or magnetic discrepancies or troubles?" the LAM pilot named Victory said.

“‘Death Valley’,” Susan said, putting air quotes around the words, “I don’t think it’s much of a holiday destination. This place has eaten whole groups of people alive. Quentin might honestly be safer. Not that the danger scares me,” she added, trying to look carefree and macho. Janus was quite a bit more dashing than he’d seemed from the vid chats he’d had negotiating with Nelson, and she didn’t want him thinking she was just some kid. Of course, if he was interested in her, he’d actually be interested in Oscar, which meant Susan was probably not on his scope.

“Lady and gents we all have likely been on a few missions that were a bit light on intel. But as I see it if go after ether target area we are left with two options. Do we drop in blind or do we poke at the hornet's nest with a long stick and see what happens?”

“I say we go for the long stick," Susan said, "We’ve got a couple of LAMs, we send them on a fly-by with the DropShip in close. Once they find something, we make the drop, or the DropShip blows up whatever is chasing them. Then we crack this thing open. Simple.”

#22 Thom Frankfurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

View PostSparks Murphey, on 12 October 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

10:21, 15 May 3025,
Galatia III, Fed Suns.

Susan (she still didn’t think of herself as Oscar internally, even though no one had called her Susan for a few years now) listened intently to Gabriel’s briefing. Star League equipment. Whoa. That was one heck of a prize to go chasing. It was huge. Fantastic. It was...

...well, to be fair, it sounded a lot like one of Nelson’s stories. She might actually impress the old man.

"Why bother with jumpships when we've got a target here? I'd just as soon stay on planet and hit the close objective. We'll save time and money, not to mention we all already know this planet at least a little bit." Katja stopped, realizing it was starting to sound a little desperate.

"Well she's got a point there, and perhaps with this tourist spot here we shouldn't have to worry about too many professional claim jumper, unless you were followed or there is something more you haven't divulged yet? You got any fly over information or satellite images of the area? Have there been any disappearances of aircraft around that area or magnetic discrepancies or troubles?" the LAM pilot named Victory said.

“‘Death Valley’,” Susan said, putting air quotes around the words, “I don’t think it’s much of a holiday destination. This place has eaten whole groups of people alive. Quentin might honestly be safer. Not that the danger scares me,” she added, trying to look carefree and macho. Janus was quite a bit more dashing than he’d seemed from the vid chats he’d had negotiating with Nelson, and she didn’t want him thinking she was just some kid. Of course, if he was interested in her, he’d actually be interested in Oscar, which meant Susan was probably not on his scope.

“Lady and gents we all have likely been on a few missions that were a bit light on intel. But as I see it if go after ether target area we are left with two options. Do we drop in blind or do we poke at the hornet's nest with a long stick and see what happens?”

“I say we go for the long stick," Susan said, "We’ve got a couple of LAMs, we send them on a fly-by with the DropShip in close. Once they find something, we make the drop, or the DropShip blows up whatever is chasing them. Then we crack this thing open. Simple.”

10:22, 15 May 3025,
Galatia III, Fed Suns.

"Yeah." Mike nodded, he knew a decent idea when he heard one.

But, he had to admit the lack of data being offered by their new employer wasn't too comforting of a thought ... But still, the prospect of Star League gear, to use or more likely sell off to some successor state had money signs swiming before his eyes. He could retire then, young, youthful, and healthy. On some beach somewhere where he could strap his hammock between a couple of coconut trees, surf, and play guitar for the rest of his days...

Mike cracked a s**t-eating grin at the thought of living the good life.

"I'm in." He stated simply, which got him some amused looks from the more rough looking mercs who snickered at this kahaki shorts, Hawaian shirt, and flip-flop wearing pothead.

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 12 October 2012 - 11:26 PM.

#23 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:22 AM

10:22, 15 May 3025,
Galatia III, Fed Suns.

"I'm in." He stated simply, which got him some amused looks from the more rough looking mercs who snickered at this kahaki shorts, Hawaian shirt, and flip-flop wearing pothead.

Victory snickered, but it was more to the fact of him thinking back to his prep-school days. He smiled brightly at the lady thinking back to how he'd used to have been. Now he had a source and a target, but thankfully she seemed too interested in the money man and the life of Riley right now to give him a second thought. Which was a good thing considering how much he missed the sensations of that type of flying and the certain special side effect it had on him [his pants bulged a bit at this thought] He shook of the notion trying to right himself for the task at hand. Revisiting the thought for another couple of seconds at the thought of (wonder if their are any crew women around on this tug, well we'll just have to see during the tour, surely I could find one that might be interested in a little huff n puff n fu..) He looked around quickly trying to shake the thoughts off again and readjusting himself by shifting his weight from side to side. Was that boy staring at him now? (aw geez how embarrassing Ack It'll happen to you too one of these and from the look of you quite a lot you know) he thought looking at the young Oscar and thinking back to his own misadventures as a pretty boy (Ok! Now really back to the task at hand)

Victory thought about this flyby idea now and didn't like the idea of being shot at or put up for bait too much, then a countermeasure burst in his head. "Hey what about if we take the dropship in close and with the fighter bays open. Pilot and I could be ready to jump out and intercept any missles or ground turrets if you guys think that's a possibility of even being there. Hell we could even post a few of you 'Mech boyz at the hatches with Mag-Boots on those beasts as well to shoot at anything incoming. What do you say to that, hmmm?"

#24 pinsndneedles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 286 posts
  • LocationAlegro

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:56 AM

10:23, 15 May 3025,

Galatia III, Fed Suns.

'Well, looks like we're settled on this rock. Thank God,' Katja thought to herself as everyone started tossing out ideas. She held her tongue listening to the proposed plans, all decent course of action at least. The trick was going to be getting intel on the facility in the first place though, that was something they sorely needed.

One of the LAM jocks gave her that smile and shifted side to side a little. She rolled her eyes, all those fliers were such playboys. It was ridiculous how they thought a pretty face, flight hours and a bad pick-up line could make a woman fall head-over-heels.

"Look, intel is the issue here. All of our plans are all well and good, but how do we know they don't have flak batteries or their own aerospace wings? How many troops are garrisoning it at all, if any? What is the layout of the compound? Are there walls or tight corridors between buildings? Will the terrain features channel us on a very few approaches or will we be able to assault from any angle? This is basic information, and yet none of us have any idea.

"Sending the dropship somewhere off the standard flight routes will get us into trouble with planetary contol. Not to mention you all seem to be overestimating the durability of these things and their offensive potential. This baby's been upgraded and has lots of guns, we can all see that plain as day, but how many of you have tried assaulting a dropship or defending one for that matter? Without enough ground or air support, all they are is big fat targets. Bay doors can be jammed, keeping us stuck inside while they shoot a leg off and send this thing toppling and we don't have enough jump-capable 'Mechs to start clearing the dropzone while it lands.

"It comes back to us needing more intel. We need to send someone to get it. I'll volunteer to go on a recon, infiltrate the facility and find out what we're up against, maybe even disable some of it." She proposed the plan as casually as if she had said she would be going for a walk, she leaned back and sipped her coffee as the others stared in disbelief.

Edited by Brother Grim, 16 October 2012 - 12:03 PM.

#25 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:43 AM

After listening to the conversation, Janus conferred with Ser-Pounce-A-Lot. They had decided on what seemed like a good idea.

"If you could tell us what kind of wildlife is out there, Ser-Pounce-A-Lot might be able to get close enough to get a visual on the cache. (Do Not Kill Off Ser-Pounce-A-Lot. he is literally half of Janus's character) Unless there is some cat-shaped wildlife that is nasty enough for automated weapons to target it, he should be able to get near the base without its defenses going online. If he stays back a bit with a camera, we should be able to at least get some intel, particularly about any automated defenses on the outside, and patrols if there are any. But he won't do it without knowing what kind of animals and plants are out there. giant bloodthirsty crabs in particular make this plan a no."

#26 Shadtiger77

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 91 posts
  • LocationChugiak Alaska

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

Gabriel watched them discuss it and comment, waiting to see whether they would go for the easier mark at a distance or the harder mark up close and a smile slowly crept across his face as they gravitated toward saving fuel. He did offer Altruin a dark look with he spouted off information about the site, but relaxed his face quickly. It wasn't that he wasn't going to tell them, it was just that he wanted to see how they responded before he gave out too much information.

"As to overflying it in atmosphere, it is a registered no fly zone due to 'anomalous factors' so we can't do that," he said softly. Orbital tracks never overfly it directly, and it is in the mountains, so getting MAD readings against that backdrop from orbit wasn't really an option." He looked around at them and obviously paused to contemplate something. "There is really only one method of entry available. We drive up close then walk in. If the others that went missing over the years found the place, we should find some kind of remains left behind. Once we do we will have a trail to follow."

#27 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

10:28, 15 May 3025,
Galatia III, Fed Suns.

Victory couldn't help himself, "Oh wonderful, following the bouncing body count of corpses. This has fun and what a great idea written all over it. Perhaps we should bide our time til Halloween as well." (Man that hippie just closed the deal for my business. Cutting the edge off, definitely needed on this little adventure.) He looked around at the others. "Seriously does no one else feel this is a bad idea? I mean come on I'm a jet jockey and you're telling me we are marching into an unknown area the banned as a no-fly zone. Where numerous people have disappeared and on top it there is only one way in or out. Geez this just keeps getting better. Do we at least have any idea of the payoff or what's in there? Rumors, speculation, are you offering us each a pick of a keep sake? I'm just really curious your angle on this here endeavor, sir."

Edited by Oni Storm, 16 October 2012 - 06:00 PM.

#28 Shadtiger77

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 91 posts
  • LocationChugiak Alaska

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

"Well, there is this..." Gabriel said, grimacing a little as he called up another file to replace the slowly spinning holo of the planet. It was a long itinerary starting with Terra, and making a slow but determined arc through Davion space and into the periphery. The list had only about fifteen worlds on it, and Galatia III was third on the list, with Quentin 3 the only one between it and Terra.

"That is the uncorrupted list I was able to compile from the remnants of the memory core in the crashed dropship I dug this table out of..." he said, gesturing. "The green ones are ones where the ship had already been, and the yellow at the bottom are ones it was going to be going to, I would presume as they continue the line of retreat..." Gabriel pinched his nose and rubbed it. "I got that, about three captain's logs in part and very damaged, and this holotable."

#29 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

10:31, 15 May 3025,
Galatia III, Fed Suns.

Victory looked up mesmerized by the list, and began thinking back on his years of study into the Star League Military and specifically it's former organization and know military facilities. [Mr. GM do any of the 15 of them ring a bell] He then continued, reflecting even more on the worlds "Can we see those logs?" and trying to piece together the bits of information to try to form some sort of a clue to the possibilities that lay before them all.

#30 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:08 PM

10:28, 15 May 3025,
Galatia III, Fed Suns.

Mike took one last sip from the Galatia Cooler and sat it down. The prospects of marching into some deathtrap didn't sit well with him at all. It may be alright to the mech jockeys who had tons of armor between them and the elements and not to mention possible instant lead posioning from MGs and autocannon, but there wasn't much he could do. He was a pilot, and a non-combatant. He'd just get in the way and be a hinderance during this op. But he did have some medical skills, which he may be able to sway Mr. Dante enough to let him hitch a ride on some APC or something. But he had no way of knowing for sure, unless he asked. So he kindly waited for the LAM pilot and the others to finish added their thoughts to the situation before adding his two cents.

"Excuse me Mr. Dante, umm.. I'm pretty sure you're aware of this, but I am a pilot by trade. If I can't fly in there's little I have to offer for this misadventure you got in mind... That being said, I do have some medic skills and have no problem offering those, but I'm not sure that hoofing it into a place called Death Valley is too great of an Idea. I imagine that it earned that name for a reason and I also imagine that there will be some sort of APC or something to move those without mechs or ferry supplies up the possible site as we may be camping out for awhile. Am I correct?"

After expressing his concern and asking his question, he rocked back on his heels and took a bite out of the club sandwich while waiting for a response.

Damn this thing needs avacado...

#31 Shadtiger77

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 91 posts
  • LocationChugiak Alaska

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

"We will be going in via vehicles at least a good portion of the way," Gabriel said, nodding to the pilot. "And of course everyone will have a ride... As to the dropship and the mechs and things, I am registering for field exercises out in the general area of that continent so we will be able to get fairly close. We will also be registered to be out there on "maneuvers" for a month, so they shouldn't come bugging us while we are searching. If we need longer, then we can always register for more maneuver time..."

"And as to wildlife, I really don't know what is in that area no, but a cat carried camera actually sounds like a good plan..." Gabriel smiled. "That may be a bit of an extra boon for getting a look without hazarding people."

"As to the data files, they are about ninety five percent useless..." he shook his head at Victory. "What we were able to salvage was that the captain of the dropship changed his mind and decided to return home, and that Kerensky shot him down for it. The landing was less than stellar, and half the dropship was spread rather liberally about, so I am willing to believe that something like that was close to the truth."

Edited by Gabriel Alexander Dante III, 16 October 2012 - 06:21 PM.

#32 pinsndneedles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 286 posts
  • LocationAlegro

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

10:34, 15 May 3025,

Galatia III, Fed Suns.

Katja raised her eyebrows as she read down the list of planets and watched the line trace its path across her homeland. A chill ran down her spine as she read one of the names. The little rock lay near the FedSuns-Combine border but right on the path of the line. She'd been deployed with 4th Davion Guard, alternately raiding Drac space and acting as a quick-reaction force to defend border worlds. They'd been doing an operation on Xhosa VII, reacting to a deep raid by the Snakes. Katja had gone out to run a recon when she came upon the door to a bunker some mountain side. Once they'd kicked the Combine forces off world she'd led a team back to crack it open.

The site had only been a supply depot, and a mostly empty one at that, although there were some special munitions, spare parts and some tech for the R&D guys to pick at. And there had been something much worse, her stomach roiled at the memory and she set down her coffee, having lost her appetite. Something happened on the world, probably during the Amaris Coup, that had caused the people inside to completely lock it down and seal it utterly. There hadn't been any records to speak of when Katja's team had gone to inspect the depot.

Something had gone wrong with the system though, as the 4th's techs found when they did an inspection of everything they could find. The system had scrubbed the oxygen and concentrated nitrogen and carbon-dioxide, poisoning the atmosphere inside. The security system detected something wrong and refused to override, trapping a few dozen people inside to die. And rot. The stench had been horrendous, Katja had gone to her knees and vomited, dry heaving for several minutes after. Hazmat had been called in to clean it out, and they'd done a good job to be fair, but that smell had lingered the entire day.

Nonetheless she stood and pointed to the world, "Here. Xhosa VII. I found a Star League depot when the Dracs raided across the border. I was out on a recon and found the bunker, we cracked it open once the Snakes were gone. We found," she paused to keep herself from heaving as the memory surface, she cleared her throat and continued, detailing the cracking of the depot. When she finished, she felt bile rise in her throat again and forced it back before continuing, "We searched the rest of the planet but couldn't find anything. There hadn't been any records in the depot either, so I can't say if we just missed it because it was camoflaged. It seems likely to me that whoever or whatever cleaned out the bunker on Xhosa cleaned out most of these other sites as well."

Edited by Brother Grim, 16 October 2012 - 07:11 PM.

#33 ivan the ghost

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

15 May 3025,

Galatia III, Fed Suns.

10:36
Lady and gents maybe before we get too far ahead of ourselves with planing the drop we should first look at what gear , equipment and skills we each bring to the table .

#34 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

View Postivan the ghost, on 16 October 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

15 May 3025,

Galatia III, Fed Suns.

Lady and gents maybe before we get too far ahead of ourselves with planing the drop we should first look at what gear , equipment and skills we each bring to the table .

"Well, I have a Slightly modified Demolisher. stuff shouldn't want to get too close to that."

#35 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

View Postivan the ghost, on 16 October 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

15 May 3025,
Galatia III, Fed Suns.

Mike nodded inbetween bites of sandwhich, he then pointed at the questioner like his question was the smartest thing he heard all day. With mouth full he mummbled his response. When he got the questioning looks he took a gulp of soda/coffee/whatever was nearby an washed it down, reguardless if he had to take it from someone or they left it lying around.

"I gotta Planetlifter!" he said excited. "Big plane." he offered to any confusing looks.

"Plus I have lots of VTOL training, if it flys and is not a dropship, I can fly it." Sudden thought. "Or a jumpship, but anything else. Plus I got mad medic skills!" He added confidently as an afterthought.

"I could fly us," He looked at the demolisher commander, "well most of us out to the edge of the no fly zone. H3ll I can even ferry an APC or whatever as long as it's under 140000lbs. I don't even need that big of an area to land either..."

#36 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:24 AM

Interior Modified Union Class Dropship (Do we have a name for this bad boy?)
Docked Planetary Space Port, Bay 15,
Galatia III, Fed Suns,
10:38, 15 May 3025,

Althalus had remained silent for most of the briefing, but felt obliged to step in when the debate began resulting in his cousin wanting to maglock mechs to the side of an in flight dropship, I know he studied thrust vectors and stress tests, I helped him pass the damn exams, and sending cats in for recon.

"No offence...uh, Mike, was it?" He waited for the other's nod of confirmation, "If you can only carry...sixty three and a half tonnes, then we're gonna need to bring the dropship, or we won't be able to lug that Demolisher at all and do multiple trips for the mechs, so it'll need to be a tandem trip. As for our feline recon plan, I'm not sure how good an idea that is. I mean, how are we gonna give it instructions? We're gonna need to just wait for it to wander back out and hope it saw something. What if it sees a gate house or a weak point but doesn't get a good look? How exactly are we gonna tell it we need it to go back and look at that section? How are we even going to make sure it actually goes to the base and doesn't get distracted hunting a mouse or whatever else it is cats do?" He gestured indistinctly at Janus with both hands, "No I'm sorry, the only time and cost efficient method we have available is a flyby by myself and Victory. Our LAMs are fuelled up and ready to go in the next bay, we can be in and out before you guys even finish loading the dropship and lifter."
He flicked his eyes at Victory, hoping his cousin would say or do something to relieve his nerves. His brain knew it was the most tactically sound and efficient option available to their party, but that didn't stop it screaming DID I JUST VOLUNTEER TO FLY INTO F*CK KNOWS WHAT IN A PLACE CALLED MOTHERF*CKING DEATH VALLEY???

#37 Shadtiger77

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 91 posts
  • LocationChugiak Alaska

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:57 AM

"Xosha Seven..." Gabriel nodded. "A shame it was empty, but if it was just a supply shed, then you may have missed the facility. I really don't see the Commanding General of the Star League stopping to lock the doors on that place... No offence," he added, patting her on the shoulder and smiling. He got a concerned look at the obvious queasy looks she was getting. "Are you going to be alright, Kat?" he asked.

Gabriel nodded as the one calling himself 'Ghost' spoke... or one of the two... he needed to look at the files again. "A good point, and as your employer, I should probably start the..." he trailed off as the VTOL pilot excitedly offered his ability to fly 'anything' and his 'mad medical skills' and then turned when Althalus made his offer. Once he was done Gabriel lifted his hands palms out and held for a second.

"I know this could be a big deal, and I want to keep it as a big deal for us..." he said. "Obviously I don't want you talking to folk about this, but going straight out there and flying over that place, even if I knew what was shooting at you... Which I don't... would be like painting a neon sign. I appreciate the vigor you are all showing to the project, and that will doubtless become necessary during the course of this little endevour, but hear me out for a second..."

"Altruin was right when he said that when we tried to overfly that place, there was an energy spike." Gabriel said gesturing to the big mechwarrior beside him. "And any way you slice it, flying in blind, even at supersonic speeds, is a bit on the fool hardy side son... I would know," he added holding up his gloved hand and wiggling his fingers. At a couple of their confused looks he pulled off the glove revealing the charcoal colored bindings and glossy black myomer of his replacement limb. "Orbital deployment into enemy territory..." he said with a sigh, reaching across to rub his right shoulder absently. "We went in skinny, wearing wing suits and parachutes. Had our cooling gear ad neural helmets in packs. It was a wild ride, but I don't recommend it..."

"As to what I can bring to the table, so you know what you are depending on here..." he said. "Of course the heavy transportation of Red Horse here, and much more comfortable quarters than you will find on any other Union in the Sphere..." he smiled, then it fell as his face grew serious. "I was also top graduate in my classes and spent a number of years in the employ ot the MIIO. They let me 'retire' on the fact that if they need they may call me and my unit back... on the understanding that they will pay us top dollar to put ourselved in harms way..." he nodded that he was finished and turned to Katja. "And the lovely lady?" he asked with a grin.

Edited by Gabriel Alexander Dante III, 17 October 2012 - 02:58 AM.

#38 pinsndneedles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 286 posts
  • LocationAlegro

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

10:40, 15 May 3025,

Galatia III, Fed Suns.

Katja offered a weak smile as Gabriel asked after her, "Yes, I'll be fine, thank you for asking." She couldn't tell if he was genuinely interested or just being the gentleman, either way she was flattered, although his involvement with MIIO surprised her. When he asked her specifically after finishing his own introduction she blushed a bit as she answered, "I worked with MI4 on a few occasions during the Third Succesion War. Otherwise I was with the 4th Davion Guards piloting a Phoenix Hawk, same one that's sitting in the hangar right now. I can do scouting on foot or mounted and can hold my own in a fire-fight if it comes to that.

She looked at Gabriel and gave him an understanding look as she continued, "MI4 let me go after they made it clear that they might call me back. The 4th Guards made a similar promise as I left. Although," and she winced a little as she continued, "I have to say I'm mostly useless on the civillian side though, too much time as a soldier. I can't deal with how careless and unstructured they are, and my only skills are military ones. It's why I came looking for merc work after I got fed up with the politicking and associated BS of the House military."

Edited by Brother Grim, 17 October 2012 - 10:40 PM.

#39 ivan the ghost

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

15 May 3025,

Galatia III, Fed Suns.

10:45
Well I'm a mechwarrior , a sapper . I pilot a modified Exterminator battlemech called the Nitro Express.

(Pilot INFO)
Ivan "The Ghost" Wolfman
Profession mechwarrior/Sapper
Callsign( The Ghost )
Age (28)
Personality: Ivan is well-spoken with a tactful warrior's edge, but can come off as a bit distant. From too many years on the road but he loves the work. Caring but a bit rough around the edges, he is a lover and a fighter.

Appearance: 6'2" Tanned with a Athletic build. well groomed and charming with black hair and cold steel blue eyes. Unicam pattern camouflage clothing and an unicam pattern boonie hat, a pair of dull gray brown boots. He keeps a combat knife strapped to his right leg just below the knee. He keeps his other combat knife inverted strapped to the left shoulder strap of his X2 backpack. his FN P90 hung diagonally across his chest by its three point sling.

History: Ivan was born on a dropship called Shadow valley to loving parents. Mom worked as a transporter. Dad worked convoy protection piloting GHR-5N. At age 16 Mom and Dad presented him with a pair of combat knives, A FN P90 with three point sling. One set of Unicam pattern camouflage clothing and an unicam pattern boonie hat, one folding entrenching shovel, and a X2 Backpack for carrying food, water, ammo and various other small items and one pair of high powered Laser Rangefinder Binoculars.

At age 20 Ivan was assigned to ride shotgun with a 18 year old transporter/mech tech named Serena Dawn. it was her first solo run and his first solo protection assignment, and Ivan was the only protection available. The first few days rolled by uneventfully but day three seemed a bit off so Ivan had her park in a cave that night as Serena slept Ivan killed his first bandit as the bandit tried to open the Paramour's cockpit canopy. Ivan buried that bandit there in that cave never telling her. a few days later they ran over some old Ordnance damaging the Paramour's drive-train which forced them to slow down but they managed to make they're delivery deadline, repaired the Paramour . Picked-up a load of gear and supplies bound for the Shadow valley. During their first run together, with almost nothing to do most of the time, Ivan got to know Serena a lot better. Serena was young and pretty with green eyes and long shine raven black hair, bright and bubbly, full of life and dreams with a real love of the road. All told it took them three weeks to complete their first run together. Three weeks later Ivan was assigned as Serena Dawn's permanent convoy protection agent. From that day on Ivan became responsible for a CRS-3M , a Paramour and Serena's life. The rest of that year was spent on the road except for a Rest, Relaxation, Refit and Repairs about every two months.

A year later Ivan and Serena found and salvaged a heavily damaged
EXT-4A from the bottom of a deep canyon. It took them almost six months to repair it and rebuild it as the EXT-4Ab, working on it only in they're free time. It took Ivan another six months to learn to pilot it, Training only in his free time. One year after finding it Ivan was piloting the EXT-4Ab well enough to take it with him on convoy runs. From that point on Ivan used it on convoy runs having returned the CRS-3M to the Shadow valley A year and a half later Ivan was responsible for a EXT-4Ab , a Paramour , himself and Serena Dawn. Serena and Ivan left the Shadow valley to do independent transporter work and whatever else they felt like doing. a year and a half later Serena was killed when the Paramor was blown to scrap by a rookie milita mech warrior who confused it for a heavy bandit APC . since that day Ivan has been a warrior trying to rebuild his life and make up for his actions that day at the space port when he went nuts after Serena was killed .

< We're not men disguised as mere dogs. We are wolves disguised as men. >
< Beware the silent warriors in the darkness. >

Exterminator EXT-4Ab.
Exterminator EXT-4Ab
Mass:65 tons
Internal Structure: standard 6.5 tons
Engine: VOX 325
Type: Fusion 23.5Tons
---WP: 5
---RP: 8
---JP: 5
Heatsinks:17[17] 7.0 tons
Gyros:standard 4.0 tons
Cockpit:standard 3.0 tons
Armor:10.5 tons standard= 161 armor points
---Loc/Strc/Armr
----Head: 3/7
----CTor: 21/24/8
----R/LT: 15/17/6
----R/LA: 10/15
----R/LL: 15/23
Weapons and Equipment (Loc/Cr/Wt)

medium laser (la/1/1)
medium laser (la/1/1)
medium laser (ra/1/1)
medium laser (ra/1/1)

small laser (h/1/0.5)
small laser (la/1/0.5)
small laser (ra/1/0.5)

heat sink (rl/1/1)
heat sink (rl/1/1)
heat sink (rt/1/1)
heat sink (ct/1/1)
heat sink (lt/1/1)
heat sink (ll/1/1)
heat sink (ll/1/1)

jump jets (rt/1/1)
jump jets (rt/1/1)
jump jets (ct/1/1)
jump jets (lt/1/1)
jump jets (lt/1/1)

Critical Spaces:28 of 47
Head: 0
Center Torso: 0
Right Torso: 9
Left Torso: 9
Right Arm: 5
Left Arm: 5
Right Leg:0
Left Leg:0

For this design I took a standard Exterminator EXT-4A dropped the lrm-10 and the machine gun and removed the ammo for both weapons . Then used the freed up tonage to add 2 small lasers , 7 standard heat sinks .

#40 Shadtiger77

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 91 posts
  • LocationChugiak Alaska

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:28 AM

Getting down to business, Gabriel brought out the contracts with their nondisclosure statements, and oaths of secrecy about what the unit found. There was more information in there about the unit, and the more they read and signed, the more they realized he was not some crazy who was out telling tall tales and scamming people, but rather using some kind of vast private fortune to fund a passion. The way things were worded was very specific, but while requiring their silence in the search for a cache of golden age tech, they were entitled to much of the profits that could be reaped from it. Not just the sale of the tech, but the research and development of new versions of it.

At the end of the rather lengthy contract, which they had been served lunch around the reading and signing of in the command center was a final paragraph. On its own it would have been odd, but with everything else, it just proved his sincerity.

Article 126: If, upon discovery and retrieval of lost technology, the Signer is still with the Unit, the Signer shall be entitled to a landing in the sum of 40 acres from the lands held in trust by House Davion, for the Company Owner, for rendering service to House Davion, during the Company Owner's terms, for which lands and title were awarded. The lands will be available from House Davion upon the completion of Article 126 in the retrieval of artifacts of value, and the Signer may choose to take the lands on any world within the Realm.

Gabriel watched as they read the terms and waited for any questions before they made their final signing. As he had yet to claim his lands and because he had negotiated to be able to gift some of it to loyal members of his unit, he hoped that would help seal the deal, even thought the lawyers insisted that the part about the lands and the damn title had to be in there. He hadn't wanted the damn yoke that Davion had saddled him with, but when you served the Fox, he usually found a way.

"Once we are done here we can begin loading of the equipment that you all posses, and getting it buttoned down. From what the Captain said we are going to be here for another Day and a half at least for fueling and basic maintenance. After that we will be logging the flight to the back forty to go 'on maneuvers' and go find some goodies," he said with a grin.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users