Captain Back Beard's Back Rum Raiders

13 replies to this topic

#1 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:50 AM

((This is a quick short story to celebrate an odd PUG I created with a group of people who may or may not want to be associated or be on record for the events that transpired during a four hour long session of MWO Beta. The over all match count ended at 27 wins, 1 draw, no losses. This is a story to salute, mock, and over all just re-tell the events that transpired in an RP format. In short, I tried to make the PUG as goofy as possible, proclaiming to each player that I did not care what unit or clan or affiliate house they had run with before, they were now a band of Periphery Pirates, My Pirates. In this night, there would be no discussion of tactics, weapon balances, mech builds. There would only be talk of Rum, Wenches, Planks and many 'ARG's. There was only one plan, get to their cap, do not stop til your on their cap, do not deviate from their cap, do not leave the cap, do not let enemy forces on their cap. For one night, I was no longer MacabreDerek, I was....

... Captain Back Beard.))

The wind ran cold over the city buried in ice and snow. Somewhere in this frozen wasteland, on a planet called Canehda, there was the objective, a highly prized secret of all Rum-smiths from this chilled slice of hell, the ability to instantly age alcohol. It was this that brought this old burly man here.

Sitting in his Centurion, a stock CN9-AL model, Captain Back Beard observed the landscape, listening on the coms. At his back was seven other pirate scum such as he, though none but a young lad Vencent, had the enthusiasm for the absurd as he did.

Over the coms, he heard the growls and spitting harsh language from Q, a strange man who piloted a Raven, stocked with more weapons than most Atlases would consider absurd, and even more dangerous was Lightnun, an elder Swayback Pilot with a death wish who's only request ever raid was "Moar Lazors Capt'n!". He liked the old man's gumption.

The co-ordinates came in over the com, and light began to ping itself on his Heads Up Display. Turning on the com, he spoke the these blood-thursty maniacs who followed him into this suicide raid, all knowing the booty would be plenty, the rum would flow, the glory would be theirs... And Wenches.

"Aye me boy-oes, Thar be the treasure! I want all of ye to follow me, we're going right in, goo' ol' smash-n-grab. First man to fall behind, I'll shoot myself!"

It took Captain Back Beard several years before he managed to hide his thick english accent for the more traditional pirate-speak, and for all it did he may not be a pirate as told in the classic stories, but by god, if he was going to be a periphery pirate, he was going to milk it for all it was worth, and force his men to do the same!

"ARGGGG!" shouted the men in unison behind his back. The throddle was up as he marched onward, the target now less than a thousand meters on his map. The area would be heavily fortied, he knew they would have LRMs on the ridge, snipers ready to take down anyone who crested the downed drop-ship that lay between them and their prize. And more so, they knew no one would be fool hardy enough to try and go through that twisting ice-cave, such an obvious confined space, it would be impossible, sure suicide to run through it without detection and getting picked appart one by one as they exited the cave.

So ofcourse that's what Back Beard had planned. The crew followed only a handful of meters behind him, in Centurions, in Hunchbacks, in Dragons, in Awesomes and Atlases. They entered one of the cave's many mouths and began to press in. It was not more than thirty seconds inside when a Jenner would pop around the cavern's corner and come across eight mechs. The Captain was pleased as he fired his Large Laser into the Jenner. He wished he knew where he hit it, but as soon as he pulled the trigger, a hailstorm of lasers came shooting from behind him and carving into the Jenner as the boys were firing over, around, between his limbs, and any other method that would involve getting any damage on that horrible scout.

The Jenner pilot didn't have enough time to even torso twist and change his vector to run.

Sure enough, by the time they exited the cave, the enemy had been told of their position, and their disposition, which was drunk, and they were ready to hold the line. Captain Back Beard grinned as he hit the throdle, and his Centurion began it's sprint right for the enemy. At the cave opening, there was an enemy Hunchback, Dragon, and Awesome. Laser fire was exchanged between the enemy Hunchback as the Captain plastered it with his energy weapons. The mechs almost colided if it had not been for the Hunchback backing away from the on-charging Centurion, and the Captain ran right past.

As the Hunchback turned to follow, a sharp PPC blast crashed into it's shoulder, reminding it of the others coming. The Awesome took the worst of the fire, as one by one each Rum Raider ran by, firing all they could into the enemy mechs but never stopping to engage.

Turning to his side, he saw on the far ridge Catapults with LRM configurations. They would not be a problem, as this would not take long, so Back Beard sent them a invitation with Laser and LRM fire. He struck both of them just to let them know their defensive line was breached, as they seemed to have assumed he and his Raiders would be coming from over the ridge.

The Enemy Hunchback fired as it gave chase after the Captain who lead the charge. The captain twisted his torso, throwing up his shield arm to take as much of the Autocannon and Laser fire as it could. It was sheered off in seconds, but as the Hunchback cost Back Beard his mech's arm, Back Beard turned. He had reached the black spot, the nav point. Brining his Large Laser to bear upon the Hunchback, badly wounded mech to badly wounded mech, the Lasers made that horrible burning noise. For a moment, both combatants just stood there, then suddenly the Hunchback toppled over. Standing behind it was the Rum Raider's Swayback Pilot, Lightnun.

Lightnun moved to the side behind cover and turned to look down the path, and began laying fire on all persuing enemy mechs, which at this point was an Awesome that was being held together by duct tape and broken promises, and a Dragon, who was still desperatly trying to keep fire on the train of mechs flowing out from the ice caves. Soon both mechs went down, leaving only a pair of catapults at the ridge line....

Wait, wasn't it two full lances?

A crash awnsered his question, as he turned to see an Atlas bearing down on him. Without the shield-arm of his Centurion, The Captain simply raised his weapon and prepared to fire. "Come 'ere boy, we'll show ya how we do things in the periphery!"

Weapons fire ensuded, but it was not from this enemy Atlas. Instead, walking between him and the target, was another pair of giants, an Awesome and Atlas. The Captain grinned, the heavy hitters where here, and no one was ready for them after tangling with the mediums and heavies that burst through the lines. Now they set up their own defensive line, and at it's core were these two behemoths, Rass and Gi.

"We got 'em Captain! Get the loot!"

LRMs came crashing down into the twin giants, as a private Armageddon began between the three hundred tons of man-made death. Scanners going through the near by buildings, the data core had to be around here somewhere!

"Hunchback's dead Captain." Q said in his well mannered voice.

"I already know that Q, dont interupt me when I... I...." A hunchback carcass fell into the building he was scanning, it's legs and left torso being the only thing recognizable.

"AW SOD IT!" Back Beard screamed, turning off the sensors and turning to engage the Cats at the ridge line, who were now the center of attention for both lances of Rum Raiders.

"Mr.Q, get me that data. I want to be brewing on the drop ship in one hour!" The Centurion turned to greet it's new play-things, as the lance raised their weapons. "E're Kitty Kitty...."

Edited by MacabreDerek, 10 October 2012 - 04:52 AM.

#2 L zard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 354 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:47 AM

Not at all bad, MD, not at all.......

#3 DeadMeat85

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:10 AM

Oh god. This sounds like something our regiment would fight for.

Good job on the story.

#4 Thom Frankfurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

Love it Derek.

#5 Josh Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 204 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

The 1st Blackburn's Raiders appreciate a good pirate tale. Yarr!

#6 Vodkavaiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

Riveting tale as usual Mr. Mac. :)

#7 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

It was amazingly effective, almost worrisome. We went 27 - 1 - 0, so not a single loss, and one tie made by the honourary Q. I think what makes me worry about it is that this 'blitzkrieg' tactic caught even the premades off guard, and I am sure we ran into a unit/clan or two (at least, seems like 1 in 5 you run into a unit).

Still, it was good fun had by all. The whole point was to just look at the most suicidal run we could, and use that as our choice of where to go. Frozen City? The Cave! Forest Collony? Run in wide open water! (We're pirates, seemed appropriate). River City? Run the western bridge. Costic Valley? Running the hillside in the 5-6 line.

Again, because I dont have permission (or am even sure some of these players want to admit what the hell happened) I haven't mentioned proper names, but if they read this, I am sure they'll figure it out.

I think one of the reasons I laughed so hard at this particular strat is because of how frequently we ran into LRM teams, and suddenly LRMs are useless in this. If you wanna use LRMs, you're not defending the cap, and we just focus fire the guys on the cap.

If there is anything that shocked me more, is that leading the charge roughly 50% of the time (40% to Mister Morte, real name withheld, and 10% to whatever random pirate spawned ahead of me), I only died maybe 2-3 times, the rest was me having my client crash, but I was already on the cap, so at that point me boy-oes would use my body as cover lol.

Really a great time, and I was having such a bad day on MWO, those guys made it one of the best days I ever had. Currently got a few asking me to form a unit, but that would defeat the purpose. You dont know when they are coming, you dont know who they are, all you know is they are coming to rape and pillage and plunder and kill, and you pray in that order. You pray every time you load up for a drop, you dont hear the opening words:

"ARG! We be Back Beards merry crew! Now give us your rum and wenches!"

#8 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

I've gotta say I've seen the tactics work effectively well. You stay together as a whole unit and blitzkrieg your way to the cap victory. It is scary how effective this is cause the only real way I've seen to stop it is that the other team run the exact same tactics, if both units go separate directions it comes down to who and how many can gather in the box first and goes to tick down. It's actually funny as hell to watch sometimes, no shots fired, not points for damage and then it's over. The worst case of this was back with the 10k tie rule, and yes I've had that happen to me once so far :)

#9 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

Also, I'm completely heterosexual.

((Trust someone with my account for two seconds. Still, far be it for me to remove a troll's work ~Looks down at the only 'like' of this comment at this time~))

Edited by MacabreDerek, 10 October 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#10 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

Posted Image

Edited by RogueSpear, 10 October 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#11 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

Just wanted to say we ran into you guys tonight when our premades ended up on the same team, it was great playing with you folks!

#12 Pirate Cat

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:50 AM

Yaarrrrrrrr best wishes from a fellow buccaneer, could only have been better if there were more furballs.

#13 Impossible Wasabi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • 462 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:03 AM

This thread pleases the Space Pope.

#14 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

It just became official. If Mac ever does fully join the Irregulars, I'm working with him to create a 'Back Beard Raiders' special ops unit. Fanon or actual unit, his call :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users