can we get a MWO windows theme?

43 replies to this topic

#21 Turbo Corvair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLake Ariel, PA

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

Yes, thanks for the replies (excluding Cinco's).

The rest of you are correct, I was not asking the dev's for anything. I was suggesting a project for the community to undertake while we wait for the game to be released =)

I'm not much of an artist but if someone can point me to some kind of software or tutorial for modifying the appearance of Windows elements I'd do my best to get started on it. My sister is a graphic designer (websites mostly) so if she had a little spare time she might be willing to help me with the art.

Anyone can set a wallpaper. What I want is to reskin the start button and maybe the whole start bar, and change the windows borders and menu's to look like an in cockpit UI might look. I'm not talking just changing colors, but trying to make windows look like it's not boring old windows!

I've seen amazing ones in the past mostly for Windows XP. Nowadays we need to do this for Windows 7 and maybe Vista.

Thanks for all the pointers guys, I'm gonna try to find some time to learn what I can about this and see if there is a way for an amateur to accomplish this goal.

View PostHayashi, on 20 March 2012 - 01:52 AM, said:

Don't forget to change your Windows startup sound to:

Reactor online
Sensors online
Weapons online
All systems nominal

Or else regardless of how nice it looks, it'd never be close enough to what it should be. =P

Excellent idea! I hadn't played MW in so long I didn't think of that.. though I had thought of trying to do something like this =)

#22 pcunite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

A 1900x1200 wallpaper of a view out the cockpit would be cool!

#23 Turbo Corvair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLake Ariel, PA

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

Hayashi, could you provide another soundbyte for "Shutdown Sequence Initiated"? I already set up the first one you posted and it's great (along with a reskin of windows loading screen)

Stardock has software that would probably allow me to do everything I want but it's $50 for the whole package =(

View PostHayashi, on 20 March 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

Wav file converted.

All primary objectives complete.

http://www.mediafire...id9qaa6hai2t1x0

Proceed to dustoff site for extraction.

===

Learning how to set this as your powerup sound is your own business. =P

#24 Zhanna Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:11 AM

View PostTurbo Corvair, on 20 March 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

I've seen amazing ones in the past mostly for Windows XP. Nowadays we need to do this for Windows 7 and maybe Vista.

For MS Windows Vista, really? I reckon MS Windows XP and MS Windows 7 will be more relevant and I would suggest MS Windows 8 as all of the other operating systems will be outdated quite soon :huh: ... tile/touch themes would be nice to see and if the developers will create desktop themes, I hope they will mainly focus on MS WIndows 8 and not so much on supporting outdated OSs.

#25 Hayashi

Snowflake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

There's the Mechwarrior 2 version. But I can't get the Mercs version of Shutting Down properly, and since those morons at the sound card companies disabled stereo mix, I can't rip out the sound file from the game directly like I used to be able to do on old computers.

http://wavs.unclebub...om/mechwarrior/

This one has the ones from MW2. I went to get the Mercs startup off youtube since I really missed it.

#26 Turbo Corvair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLake Ariel, PA

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

Thanks for trying Hayashi. I found and set up the SW2 shutdown sound the same day I set up your MW4 startup sounds but it would be nice for them to match. Still, I like the MW4 one so much I don't think I'll downgrade to the other just so they match. Oh well.

#27 Archtus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:05 AM

View PostGDL Irishwarrior, on 20 March 2012 - 06:50 AM, said:

*Finds out Windows 7 doesn't allow changing the startup sound*
Well, crap (bug.ger is censored? Well, then...). Log on sound it is :).

That's taken care of.

Now then, friends and... Clanners... I've been working on this for a few hours[haven't slept since the 2nd], and will continue working on it. I may have to make an installer for some bits of it[changing the windows startup/shutdown sounds, changing the "Starting Windows" Animation before the log in screen], because they can be a pain to deal with.

#28 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

It might be a good idea if we break out some of these tasks to multiple peeps in the thread, or if someone has an overall plan in place to do this, so we can add ideas or pan the bad ones before people spend oodles of time working on them.

(I really want little 3D mechs running around the desktop shooting at each other).

#29 Archtus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:12 AM

I'm currently working on an animation sequence to replace the win7 boot animation. I'm just working on the animation part. I've already managed to change this:

Posted Image

so that the logo is different, and instead of Starting Windows, it currently says "Welcome, Pilot". Thinking of changing it to Startup sequence: Initiated.

#30 Malkinn Kerensky

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

Ok, so I'm a computer moron. Trying to change the startup/shutdown tones and I can't get the soundfiles to load onto the program. The bar is greyed out and I can't even test the sounds. I got Vista btw. Any help would be appreciated.

#31 Kassious

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 18 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

For my startup I'm using "Satellite uplink, Established."
Since I can't really feel my computer RUMBLING to life and I don't have any cool lasers or toys the mech startup sequence seemed.. a bit much
I MAY, however, have it ask me for my pilot security code. If.. I could fine a .wav or remember what the wording was in the novels....

EDIT: Anyone want a MW3 sound pack ripped from the game installation?
I've removed the mission dialogs from it already.

Edited by Kassious, 28 May 2012 - 09:41 PM.

#32 Spartan Leonidus

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Missouri USA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

View PostArchtus, on 05 April 2012 - 02:12 AM, said:

I'm currently working on an animation sequence to replace the win7 boot animation. I'm just working on the animation part. I've already managed to change this:
so that the logo is different, and instead of Starting Windows, it currently says "Welcome, Pilot".
Thinking of changing it to Startup sequence: Initiated.

Startup sequence: Initiated. Or the "Satellite uplink, Established." both appeal to me.

#33 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

View PostArchtus, on 05 April 2012 - 02:12 AM, said:

Posted Image

so that the logo is different, and instead of Starting Windows, it currently says "Welcome, Pilot". Thinking of changing it to Startup sequence: Initiated.

Why not "Welcome, Mechwarrior" and have one of your friends voice the thing.

#34 sev922

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 92 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:06 PM

Hey guys. Happened to stumble in here. I'd been working on changing my system sounds and decided to take it a bit further by changing my Windows login screen background and the Windows startup sound (NOT the login sound, mind you). The Windows sound was a bit more difficult than the background, but here are the resources I used to do it. My Windows startup sound has been changed to "Register SIBKO Identity" from MW2, I love it. Oh, this is all for Win7.

http://answers.micro...d0-85e17176a3ab
(you want the top link on this page for the startup sound)

http://www.techrepub...-wallpaper/2135

As of right now, I'm just using cockpit screenshots from gameplay videos that are out for my desktop and a picture of a 'Mech hangar for my login screen. The only thing that sucks is that the login screen picture has to be less than or equal to 256 kB, so the picture itself can't be too busy. Just get one with the same aspect ratio that your monitor runs and it should be pretty much fine. Then again, if someone comes up with something awesome, I'd totally want to see it.

Both changes here require a small editing of the registry files in the system32 folder. I'd never touched my registry before, but I was able to do this just fine. Just make sure to make a copy of your registry and put it somewhere safe. If there are any questions, feel free to ask.

Oh. And Corvair. You're a god with your SimPit setup. Seeing your video and your setup pretty much prompted me to 'Mechify my computer. Big thanks to you!

#35 Rodney28021

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationRural Western North Carolina

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

Maybe the devs might do this but i doubt it . This is something the creative MWO community can do. i had window98 themes for old mechwarrior games, that would be a starting point.

#36 Apex Prime

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:06 PM

View Postcinco, on 19 March 2012 - 11:52 PM, said:

cool story bro. lets get guys from their art team to make you a theme just cause you wanted it. nevermind the time it'll take out of their busy work schedule or the extra development time this project will accrue.

however, if you want to make it yourself with input and help from the community, i suggest you do a better job on the thread title.something like "help me make a mechwarrior windows theme"

best regards.

What is with the D-BAG opening line?

If you don't have any input to his question thats not constructive refrain from posting kid.

#37 Cybrid

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

This is just a thought, but wouldn't something like this work well with Rainmeter? (http://rainmeter.net/cms/)
I've seen some rather amazing rainmeter desktops here and there, a Mech-themed one would be awesome.
I'd make one myself if I had an iota of talent or the time to learn it properly.

#38 Dredrik Salkon Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dreadnought
  • The Dreadnought
  • 119 posts
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:37 PM

This...

this is a thing...

This is a LOVELY thing.

Why has it died?

I am no artist or programmer, but this would make my computer complete!

Please finish this guys, make my day while i ruin my F5 key...

#39 Darq

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

View PostHayashi, on 20 March 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

Wav file converted.

All primary objectives complete.

http://www.mediafire...id9qaa6hai2t1x0

Proceed to dustoff site for extraction.

===

Learning how to set this as your powerup sound is your own business. =P

Genius!

#40 Sneaky B

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationArc-Royal

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

in case you guys want a bunch of Mechwarrior 3 clips that I mashed together

here's the link

http://www.mediafire...6q5e0slr9r76475

Edited by Sneaky B, 27 July 2012 - 02:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users