• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:35 PM

Aff. The Executioner is nicknamed Gladiator by the IS. Which is peculiar as the Gladiator was an ancient IS mech already:

http://www.sarna.net...tor_(BattleMech)

#142 ThoR294

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:06 PM

^ very interesting... I never knew that. Only knew of Executioner (Gladiator). I believe it was in MW2 Ghost Bear Legacy...

#143 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:04 PM

Ahh. MW2 GBL such a wonderful expansion. Yep, good ol Executioner was in that. Good stuff. The Clans Atlas in my opinion.

#144 _Comrade_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

I liked how in GBL you choose a mech and that was your mech the entire game (except after a trial of position you could switch again) , so you had to choose carefully. I was never a fan of the executioner. For me it was all about the Kodiak and the warhammer

#145 Powder Puff Pew Pew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts
  • LocationI live in a Mech Hangar

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:12 PM

I was wondering if you guys could help me out, I'm a bit confused. I read most of the posts but theres hundreds :P I havnt been on the forums in forever too. So whats this about new Clans? Is it a seperate game or something? How do I join a Clan?

I was wondering if you guys could help me out, I'm a bit confused. I read most of the posts but theres hundreds :ph34r: I havnt been on the forums in forever too. So whats this about new Clans? Is it a seperate game or something? How do I join a Clan?

#146 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:18 PM

View PostPowder Puff Pew Pew, on 10 May 2014 - 10:12 PM, said:

How do I join a Clan?

#1 Clans mean something different here than in most games - there is a group of armies known as the Clans, one of the factions.
Whereas in most games, clan just refers to a group of players

As for joining them - they have their own subforum for just that - here

#147 Powder Puff Pew Pew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:32 PM

Theres just so much stuff here tho, I wish it was a bit less overwelming. Like say each clan had their own seperate distinct header for noobs like me. I dont see a clan post for Davion :P

#148 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

That is because Davion is not a Clan. Here, let me give you the simple breakdown:

Human society is broken down to several "nations" in battletech. Clans and Houses are nations of sorts within the universe. In the region of space called the Inner Sphere, you have the Houses: Davion, Steiner, Liao, Kurita, Marik, with subgroups including the Free Rasalhague Republic, Outworlds Alliance, etc. These are the people who live in this area of the universe:

Posted Image

Earth, Terra, is smack dab in the middle and is under control by the intergalactic phone company called ComStar, who praise technology as something to be held sacred and divine. To greater or lesser extent.

Then you have the Clan 'nations,' of which only seven actually make their presence known in the Inner Sphere for quite some time. These are Clan Wolf, Ghost Bear, Jade Falcon, Smoke Jaguar, Steel Viper, Diamond Shark, and Nova Cat. There are other Clans, still, that are way beyond the periphery of the Inner Sphere (that map above being the Inner Sphere). These additional Clans are Snow Raven, Ice Hellion, Hell Horses, Star Adder, Blood Spirit, Burrock, Fire Mandril, Coyote, and Goliath Scorpion.

Inner Sphere houses tend to be feudal societies, whereas Clans are militaristic quasi-meritocratic societies. Inner Sphere populations are 'normal' in our real world sense of the word, whereas a significant (and usually higher regarded) amount of population is actually genetically engineered and grown in Clan society.

Every single 'nation' has its issues. Too strict. Batshit crazy. Marry Sues. Corrupt beyond reason. KKK level racist. You name it, every single one of them has enough issues to keep a psychologist entertained for decades.

Did I miss anything in my extremely glossed over edition of THE WORLD OF BATTLETECH?

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 11 May 2014 - 07:21 AM.

#149 Powder Puff Pew Pew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:23 AM

Wow thats actualy pretty interesting as far as Laurel goes. I didnt realize there were so many.

#150 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:27 AM

Yeah, there is a ton of lore for the Battletech universe. It would be extremely hard for any game to do it justice, actually. However, that is why when someone says "Clan" in mechwarrior, they refer to a type of faction, as opposed to any old player run organization. You have Clans, Houses, Pirates, and Mercenaries. It is odd, but given it has been that way since the 80s, I think it is here to stay. :P

Also why this Clan subsection of the forum only refers to the Clans and not, say, House Davion, which has its own forum section.

#151 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:03 AM

Someone goes as far as to say that, since Netmech for MW2 let you play as a "Clan" in the early day of online multiplayer the later games started naming their gaming groups "clans"..

#152 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

I have heard this too. It does make sense. MechWarrior 2 was pretty big in its day.

#153 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

UNDERSTANDING CLAN MECHS AND THEIR INNERSPHERE NAMES

*Quietly links to Mechassault*

1, not 2.

#154 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:42 AM

Yes, in MWO, you join a unit that is part of either one of the Great Houses, Clans, Mercenaries, Pirates, or various lesser factions.

#155 Desintegrator

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for this great map !

#156 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:24 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 03 May 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

Aff. The Executioner is nicknamed Gladiator by the IS. Which is peculiar as the Gladiator was an ancient IS mech already:

http://www.sarna.net...tor_(BattleMech)

But the Gladiator as ancient IS Mech is a later publication in the 90s the Gladiator as a name was unique

View PostPowder Puff Pew Pew, on 11 May 2014 - 07:23 AM, said:

Wow thats actualy pretty interesting as far as Laurel goes. I didnt realize there were so many.

You must take a look to the planet names - i believe when they were "created" guys from all over the world were allowed to send names to FASA (comunity created content) - and my moste favourite:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finsterwalde, Herzberg, Senftenberg, Kamenz - you can google those names :D

#157 _Comrade_

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

FASA had a good sense of humor. I guess I shouldn't of expected it from a company that gets its name from a Marx bros skit. I still think its funny that GM (general motors) exist in BT and they make battlemechs. They almost didn't survive the 21st century but they are in 31st century? And thier is also a merc unit named after Godzilla, with the name spelled wrong on purpose to avoid lawsuit. LOL

and yes BT lore was community driven, the advance of armies was determined by how many points you and the rest of your faction could get. You got points by doing table top tournaments, submitting artwork to thier quarterly magazine, etc.. It was CW 1980s style. So a lot of the success of those factions were because of REAL WORLD players

#158 Verdammnis

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

it´s pity that the IS see the Clan Name, but it could confuse non BT Player.
An option that i can say i want to see the IS Name would be nice.

#159 EasyPickings

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 192 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:49 PM

Anyone else find it funny that the Clan mechs that are named after birds - Warhawk and Stormcrow - can't fly (no JJs), yet the wolves - Timberwolf and Direwolf - can?

Was this supposed to be purposely misleading disinformation on the Clan's part?

#160 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:35 AM

View PostEasyPickings, on 27 January 2015 - 03:49 PM, said:

Anyone else find it funny that the Clan mechs that are named after birds - Warhawk and Stormcrow - can't fly (no JJs), yet the wolves - Timberwolf and Direwolf - can?

Was this supposed to be purposely misleading disinformation on the Clan's part?

Lol, funny. I never saw it in that way.

I also find funny that both the "bird" 'Mechs are designed by Clan Smoke Jaguar. Instead, the Wolves go with a more coherent naming style, "wolf" everywhere!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users