• LocationMatamoras

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

Posted Image

#22 StreakEagle

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, U.S.A.

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

I see I'm not the only one with full sets of Blueprints.
And yes, I played TT for decades, and All the Comp games starting with the DOS version.

Rock On Promptus

#23 ZivyTerc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationBehind you...

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

View PostNathan K, on 12 October 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

This may just be wishfull thinking, but how soon will IS names for Clan Mechs go the way of the "Toad"?

Look, a space n.a.c.i. is trying to "reeducate" the Inner sphere...
Each side is using their codenames, nothing is wrong with that.

Edited by ZivyTerc, 24 October 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#24 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

View PostAaron DeChavilier, on 24 October 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

Actually Myndo Waterly and crew called it a Mad Cat because it literally looks like a Catapult with Marauder legs and arms. I also think Phelan Kell's targetting system kept ping-ponging between the two when trying to identify it.

I'm a Spheroid to the core, but the name 'Timber Wolf' is way more badass than 'Mad Cat.' Mad Cat just sounds so dumb, now if it was a Madcap I'd like it more.

I remember to have read that it was Anastasius Focht who first examined Phelans Battle ROM in detail. Hence it is him who should receive the honor. Myndo Waterly simply showed her lack of expertise when she suggested that a Mad Cat could be copied using a Catapult and adding arms to it. Focht made it clear that she had no idea what she was talking about. She had it in for him after that (see Tukayyid aftermath).

#25 Stormcrow IV

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

Long post so I don't have to come back and babysit my argument:

Tell me why "Ryoken" makes more sense than "Stormcrow" and I'll listen to the IS folks. Until then, the original, intended names of the platforms are what I'll call them.

Yeah, I use contractions, so no, I'm not some psychopathic clan guy. I don't give pet nicknames to your toys, don't give them to mine.

In role-playing, I'd argue that it's a matter of respect to the designer of the 'mech to call it what it was meant to be called.

My real reason is that there are a ton of styles and cultures mixed into the BT universe. Why would I want more of the same inner sphere influence at the cost of neglecting the new and interesting cultures of the different clans?
Thor and Loki? How creative, I didn't realize there was a strong mythological background to parts of the IS after the Valkyrie, Hermes, Atlas, Cerberus, Titan, Grand Titan, etc.
And the Draconis Combine is Japanese and Indian. I didn't need the replacement names of Ryoken, Nabori-Nin, Koshi, Daishi, Masakari, etc. to tell me that Asian infuence played into IS culture because the IS already had the Dragon, Grand Dragon, Katana, Shogun, Daikyu, Hatamoto-Chi, etc. to reflect it.

I'd quite like new players to see that the Clans have their own culture and self-image as evidenced by the differences in 'Mech names: Ebon Jaguar, Kodiak, Grizzly, Timber Wolf, Dire Wolf, Summoner, Gargoyle, Mad Dog, and Kit Fox as examples.

The Clans' theme is one of barbarism: supernatural and animalistic names predominate, and that's how the Clans see themselves. They are ferocious and primitive in their mindset. That's what makes the Clans the Clans. That's what makes them different and interesting.
The Inner Sphere is of long-established mythology and whatever specific cultures those states are supposed to represent. Blanketing the interesting Clan names/culture with more of the same IS crap just doesn't make sense and it suppresses the individuality that BT brings to the table.

You keep your pet names, I'll keep my real ones. Keep your cultural blanket, I'll keep my universe open.

Have a nice day.

#26 Relic1701

• 1,197 posts
  • LocationDying at the end of your cheese build!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

Too many people have been spoilt by clan mechs, this game should have started in 3025, when mechs were real mechs, mechwarriors were real mechwarriors, and small fury creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small creature from Alpha Centauri. :wacko:

#27 Sabbathiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 381 posts
  • LocationSt. Ives Compact.

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

Madcat

#28 Niwantaw

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 86 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

when someone screams mad cat it sounds so much more awesome than "timber wolf"

#29 Aaron DeChavilier

• 1,422 posts
  • LocationEisen Unbegrenzt Corp HQ, Rim Collection

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

View PostCCC Dober, on 24 October 2012 - 09:37 AM, said:

I remember to have read that it was Anastasius Focht who first examined Phelans Battle ROM in detail. Hence it is him who should receive the honor. Myndo Waterly simply showed her lack of expertise when she suggested that a Mad Cat could be copied using a Catapult and adding arms to it. Focht made it clear that she had no idea what she was talking about. She had it in for him after that (see Tukayyid aftermath).

yeah I literally burst out laughing when I read what Waterly said: (something like) "Quickly lets start putting arms on our catapults!" <facepalm>

View PostRelic1701, on 24 October 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

Too many people have been spoilt by clan mechs, this game should have started in 3025, when mechs were real mechs, mechwarriors were real mechwarriors, and small fury creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small creature from Alpha Centauri. :wacko:

absolutely agree.

Edited by Aaron DeChavilier, 24 October 2012 - 09:53 AM.

#30 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

If you gents take a look at this intro, we have nearly all participating Mechs available in MWO.
Now with River City there is even a map that fits the bill. All we need is one more Mech. Can't wait =)

#31 Aaron DeChavilier

• 1,422 posts
  • LocationEisen Unbegrenzt Corp HQ, Rim Collection

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

View PostCCC Dober, on 24 October 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

If you gents take a look at this intro, we have nearly all participating Mechs available in MWO.
Now with River City there is even a map that fits the bill. All we need is one more Mech. Can't wait =)

and yet MWO has none of that video's excitement or charm or look and feel. depressing.

#32 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

Gotta give it to the live actors. They sure did know their business back then. Not exactly cheap, but when you get them on board, people are talking about the game after a couple years, even decades. Think of Wing Commander ^^

P.S.: Saved ya the trouble. Here's some goodness from 1994.
Yeah, I'm old enough to remember it vividly. Sue me B)

Edited by CCC Dober, 24 October 2012 - 12:01 PM.

#33 Grendel408

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

View PostBLACKFIRE, on 18 October 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

You know Most people Missed Mechwarrior 1 and 2. I Got to play two and so I learned a few of the names the Clans gave their mechs I have to say The Timberwolf fits its name... the way MW portrays it is like a lone wolf in the woods hunted but not out classed. The IS name while WRONG! Is understandable... simple as they are they thought Catapult with arms that kills us. I can live with that, HOWEVER I do feel the Maddog is better named the Vulture.. I like the idea of the Maddog standing over their wasted mechs below on a canyon floor like a vulture smiling over its kill! Anyway may the freebirth mechs lay in piles!

The Timber Wolf got it's Inner Sphere designation because their Friend or Foe software couldn't determine between a Marauder, and a Catapult... this is why it got named "Mad Cat" and not something else... other than that... your statement is filled with canon holes B)

#34 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:02 PM

View PostCCC Dober, on 24 October 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

Mad Cat, Jaguar Mad Cat.

.....gotta respect a woman who wears her garter belt on the outside.

#35 Bianca Flowers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

View PostRelic1701, on 24 October 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

Too many people have been spoilt by clan mechs, this game should have started in 3025, when mechs were real mechs, mechwarriors were real mechwarriors, and small fury creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small creature from Alpha Centauri. :huh:

check my sig

#36 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

View PostStormcrow IV, on 24 October 2012 - 09:39 AM, said:

In role-playing, I'd argue that it's a matter of respect to the designer of the 'mech to call it what it was meant to be called.

In role-playing, my "character" wouldn't have an ounce of respect for the marauding hordes that swarm his homeland, whether they design snazzy toys or not.

If you're talking about the actual designer in FASA, I'm sure the creators don't mind us enjoying the universe enough to engage in some ultralight RP by using our faction-specific names.

My real reason is that there are a ton of styles and cultures mixed into the BT universe. Why would I want more of the same inner sphere influence at the cost of neglecting the new and interesting cultures of the different clans?

Because from an IS perspective, the clans and their "new and interesting cultures" can go suck on a PPC.

You keep your pet names, I'll keep my real ones. Keep your cultural blanket, I'll keep my universe open.

Have a nice day.

Just allow me to remind that "fun" is subjective. Choosing to keep a person's faction-appropriate names doesn't speak of actual xenophobia, but immersion.

Likewise.

Edited by Alex Wolfe, 24 October 2012 - 12:49 PM.

#37 Vodkavaiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

I don't see why both versions are not correct.

Look at how fighter aircraft are and were identified, they usually have a name given to them by their country of service/origin and another "nickname" used by those who face them.

The "Zero", "Butcher Bird" and "Jug" were all names given to classic WW2 aircraft that had little to do with the official designation.

Edited by Vodkavaiator, 24 October 2012 - 12:50 PM.

#38 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

View PostVodkavaiator, on 24 October 2012 - 12:48 PM, said:

The "Zero", "Butcher Bird" and "Jug" were all names given to classic WW2 aircraft that had little to do with the official designation.

*devil's advocate mode*

Mitsubishi A6M Zero's official designation is "rei shiki kanjō sentōki", "type 0 carrier fighter craft". It's shortened to "reisen" (0-fight [craft]). The name "Zero" has plenty to do with the official designation, since it's simply the translation of its first character 零 ("zero").

*slinks back into the shadows*

Edited by Alex Wolfe, 24 October 2012 - 04:12 PM.

#39 Imagine Dragons

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationLV-223

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

Considering every mark X version of the Mad Cat was called Mad Cat mk X.

Its always going to be called Mad Cat, plus its much cooler when you say

"OMFG THEY'RE SPAMING MAD CATS AND DOGS!!!"...

... when the clans are eventually introduced...

Edited by XenomorphZZ, 24 October 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#40 Rayah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 801 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

When people realize that simply adding arms to a Catapult doesn't merit a new name.

Also: You can has mad cat...
Posted Image

Edited by Rayzor, 24 October 2012 - 01:18 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users