Feelings on legging/heading?

69 replies to this topic

Poll: Feelings on legging/heading? (215 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you support legging/heading of 'Mechs in combat?

1. No way, only honorless scum would succumb to such tactics. (31 votes [14.42%])

Percentage of vote: 14.42%

2. Whatever gets the job done quicker! (184 votes [85.58%])

Percentage of vote: 85.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 infinite xaer0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:58 PM

those are both valid tactics as far as I'm concerned. Though, the game should be designed in such a way that they're not necessarily the best option for taking out a mech every time..

#22 Spike Spiegel

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:59 PM

Headings should effect sensors primarily on most mechs. This could also be an opportunity to establish redundant sensor systems albeit lower range on the torso or back.

Leggings i believe should be possible but hard based upon durability of the load bearing structure supporting a 20+ ton machine should be as strong as any part of the machine and that hitting directly the servo level components of such a machine should be limited to the difference in area the component is compared to the area the particular weapon covers.

A large laser should have an surface area much larger than the individual servo even exposed after armor and can only damage the component based upon the percentage of the surface area of the component takes up.

#23 CobraFive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:03 PM

Legging needs to be made more difficult then in previous iterations. Its so effective and far to easy to pull off.

I don't think that people shouldn't do it: Its the game, not the players. And I don't think it should be removed.

For example in other gaming, think of headshots in like... Battlefield or CoD. If you aim for the aidshot you're more likely to miss then if you aim for the body.Its hard to pull off but has massive reward. This is good, it encourages and rewards skill. But legging, as its been done in most MW games, it takes no real skill ("Aim down") so there's no reason not to do it every time.

#24 lyonn

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationLDN

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:08 PM

Look at my signature you know where my votes lies :)

#25 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:11 PM

If players refuse to put armor on their legs and then complain how dishonorable and cheap it was to kill them in such a manner...

Good times in MW3 + 4. Granted MW3 leg kill was pretty crappy.

Like many have said, leg damage should be the following...

1) acuator/myomer damage, limping
2) leg destroyed, fall down (Mw2:Mercs style)
3) Both legs destroyed, serious damage, potential death (depending on how the rest of your tin can was holding up prior)

Bear in mind, it would take A LOT of ordinance to actually cut through all that metal to completely severe a 'mech's leg to force it to fall down. While aiming for the leg to greatly reduce mobility is simply good tactics, it may just be easier to aim for the head/CT for the fast kill. But man it is fun to toy with a cocky pilot. I plan on doing a lot of legging, stripping and leaving the poor bastid' for the vultures. No need to kill him if he isn't a threat. Let him bask in his own misery, teach 'em to put armor on those legs the hard way.

Edited by mwhighlander, 02 November 2011 - 04:15 PM.

#26 taxman

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationWirral Cheshire England

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:17 PM

If you can Target it , and you have to put armour on it , then I say shoot it !

Unless you are a Clansman engaged in Zellbrigen with a Fellow Clansman , then The Clan code must be adhered to.

What is interesting is if we cannot be Clan and we are forced to Play as IS, will people immerse themselves in that role, and take on the traits and habbits of the Freeborn?

#27 AJC

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:21 PM

if this game lets me leg and head shot mechs i will take them since they are weak-points that should be exploited by any decent fighter both metagaming wise and in-universe wise.

#28 Dsi1

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:23 PM

Huh, I always had a feeling that the community was pretty split on this.

Guess playing on SJ servers does that to you.

#29 goon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:27 PM

Hey, Light mechs have gotta be able to take down heaver mechs some how.

#30 CatJock

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:30 PM

I say keep the headshots and legging. It's realistic, plus it rewards the good players and teaches bad players that you must take care of all systems, including the legs and head.

#31 DHG REAPERX

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:35 PM

"Kill the meat... Save the metal" - Dead Eye

also dually noted from the great Dead Eye...

"If your going to die try to scream a lot so I know that I'm all alone"

#32 Havoc2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 505 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

Leg 'em and leave 'em.

Used to do it in MW4 when it was situationally viable. People used to take armour points from their head, rear and legs to boost their LT, CT and RT and maximize their payload. Their payload does them no good when they're 5kms from the fight.

As said before, if a pilot doesn't want to put armour there, it's not on me to not shoot there.

The only thing I will say, it would be REALLY cool if in the future of this game (or an expansion) when the Clans are introduced as a playable side/association that skill points/reputation points/whatever were docked by using headshots or legging an opponent as the Clans DID believe that these methods were dishonourable.

#33 Phades

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

Legging should allow the mech to crawl, or use weapons on one side when propped up properly. Heading should exist as well, but some mech designs are basically poo when it comes to that feature. Anything that places the cockpit between the shoulders of the mech deserves to get fried. Sorry, but that is just poor design and forcing random shot placement to compensate for it is garbage.

#34 IS Wolf

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationArc-Royal

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

View Posttaxman, on 02 November 2011 - 06:17 PM, said:

Unless you are a Clansman engaged in Zellbrigen with a Fellow Clansman , then The Clan code must be adhered to.

Legging or head capping is not forbidden in Zellbrigen.
Plus there is the issue that interpretation differs per Clan, some are orthodox, others are more flexible.

#35 CrescentHawk

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:53 PM

It should be possible but very difficult. Also one leg should not kill a mech. Make it basically immobile yes, kill it no.

#36 Sean Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

Legging is more honorable in Clan society. Saves the pilot (waste not remember) as well as keeps the mech pretty much intact for salvage purposes.

As for what happens when legged? Fall flat on your face, but should be able to prop up if you have both arms (ala tabletop)

And headshots, keep em. just make em hard to pull off.

#37 Zippyt

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:59 PM

Dead is Dead

#38 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts
  • LocationA cardboard box drinkin mah hooch.

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

Both are viable tactics,but instapopping should be rare.but legging a mech should disable it,but it should still be a potent turret or a frog that can still get around.

Damaging the mech on a landing should only happen if you dont carefully throttle.(meaning you cant just floor it up and expect a smooth drop.if you dont punch it a second or so before you hit you deserve damage)

#39 Darklord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 235 posts
  • LocationChicago Battletech Center

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:35 PM

Head shots and legging should come down to targeting skill of the pilot in the game.
If targeting is made difficult then the head and leg shot are that much harder to pull off, so the torso
becomes the main target.

DL

#40 Eidolon

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:37 PM

I'll throw in one more vote for a lost leg not counting as a death. The mech should be down but not out, with extremely limited mobility.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users