Something different... not your traditional MechLab.

5 replies to this topic

#1 fearfactory

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

Maybe instead of the traditional Mechlab add things like "enhancements" found in Strategic Operations and A Time Of War (you know, Mech and Pilot abilities). These would be much more interesting to implement than creating boats that abuse game play. Plus I feel things like pilot abilities, weapon enhancements and BattleMech abilities have never been tried.

I think it would be interesting to take a CPLT-C1 Catapult customized with a more accurate LRM system or better targeting/tracking system but with some negative trait like faulty jump jets with a pilot who has an LRM specialty but isn't as good with lasers or ballistics. Or maybe a JR7-D Jenner with heat sinks that work a little better but has trouble with a faulty communication or targeting system with a pilot who is a maneuvering ace. All of these things would be decided by the player or grabbed through purchasing a new 'Mech. This way you can control game balance with stock configurations and an even balance of enhanced abilities and negative traits.

I just feel this would be something different than a traditional MechWarrior game.

#2 Elucid Ward

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

Because we're all here for a different experience.

Your proposition seems to rely on chance and RNG for skill rather than the players raw ability by exaggerating characteristics of any given 'mech through artificial assets/liabilities.

Pilot progression (slight improvements through unlocks to secondary systems, accuracy, heat management to reflect passing from 'green' thru to 'elite'), as well as a traditional mech bays, would encompass what you've suggested.

#3 fearfactory

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:08 PM

View PostElucid Ward, on 02 November 2011 - 02:07 PM, said:

Your proposition seems to rely on chance and RNG for skill rather than the players raw ability by exaggerating characteristics of any given 'mech through artificial assets/liabilities.

Pilot progression (slight improvements through unlocks to secondary systems, accuracy, heat management to reflect passing from 'green' thru to 'elite'), as well as a traditional mech bays, would encompass what you've suggested.

Where did I mention anything about progression/RNG? All of the options would be available in the "MechLab" where you can add enhancements (both positive and negative) to your 'Mech and your pilot. Why does this have to have XP and such? I'm paying attention to how the demo showed combat and the PPC's and SRM's from the Warhammer, even though they were on-target with the Atlas, still missed at times despite having the cursor dead center. These abilities would basically work around that and how the 'Mech handles, depending on what it is.

EDIT:

Kind of like this. If you pick a trait in the board game worth 3 you have to balance it out with an equal amount of negative traits and vise versa. This part of Strategic Operations and A Time of War really impressed me.

Even so, it seems more people want the same old boring MechWarrior IV ****... I'm sorry, but I don't want to play with Assaults with un-canon BattleTech loadouts. I want something like Multiplayer BattleTech: 3025. Wasn't that all canon?

Edited by fearfactory, 02 November 2011 - 03:12 PM.

#4 Elucid Ward

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

View Postfearfactory, on 02 November 2011 - 03:08 PM, said:

Where did I mention anything about progression/RNG? All of the options would be available in the "MechLab" where you can add enhancements (both positive and negative) to your 'Mech and your pilot. Why does this have to have XP and such? I'm paying attention to how the demo showed combat and the PPC's and SRM's from the Warhammer, even though they were on-target with the Atlas, still missed at times despite having the cursor dead center. These abilities would basically work around that and how the 'Mech handles, depending on what it is.

Re-read what I said, it makes perfect sense in relation to your original post.

Pilot progression was a counter to the '(de)buffing' mechanic you have suggested.

What you are suggesting is not 'mech customisation. It is adding a greater element of dictation. "Hey, you can't choose what weapons your 'mech is equipped with, but we'll let you tweak the weapons we give you a bit. You know, trade off a bit of heat for a little less damage..."

As for mech handling, that's something the pilot will get used to over time. What you're suggesting will be effectively over-riding the inbuilt physics engine, thus making it redundant, and offering a way for people to pay to win. "Why become better at piloting, when I can just pay for this modification to make mech handle better?"

#5 fearfactory

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

View PostElucid Ward, on 02 November 2011 - 03:15 PM, said:

Re-read what I said, it makes perfect sense in relation to your original post.

Pilot progression was a counter to the '(de)buffing' mechanic you have suggested.

What you are suggesting is not 'mech customisation. It is adding a greater element of dictation. "Hey, you can't choose what weapons your 'mech is equipped with, but we'll let you tweak the weapons we give you a bit. You know, trade off a bit of heat for a little less damage..."

As for mech handling, that's something the pilot will get used to over time. What you're suggesting will be effectively over-riding the inbuilt physics engine, thus making it redundant, and offering a way for people to pay to win. "Why become better at piloting, when I can just pay for this modification to make mech handle better?"

Hence why I said "Something Different." You would be basically customizing the weapons by enhancing them rather than creating something totally different. And tell me this, looking at things like turn rates and such in MechWarrior 4, who says that you can't program an enhancement that would improve your turn rate, or even acceleration, by 10% or so? Or a trait that lowers the spread of your LRM/SRM systems by a slight percentage?

EDIT: Where did I say you have to pay for anything? It seems like you're suggesting things for me in order to debunk what I'm trying to actually suggest.

Edited by fearfactory, 02 November 2011 - 03:27 PM.

#6 Elucid Ward

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

View Postfearfactory, on 02 November 2011 - 03:26 PM, said:

Hence why I said "Something Different." You would be basically customizing the weapons by enhancing them rather than creating something totally different. And tell me this, looking at things like turn rates and such in MechWarrior 4, who says that you can't program an enhancement that would improve your turn rate, or even acceleration, by 10% or so? Or a trait that lowers the spread of your LRM/SRM systems by a slight percentage?

Once again, it undermines raw skill. And I respectfully disagree. Sure, enable some sort of perk system that you earn on a per 'mech, per class basis, and based solely on time spent piloting that 'mech.

IE: 100 hours in a Strider will mean that you might have a tighter than standard turning circle, or a slightly increased maximum running speed, because, as a pilot you have figured out how to balance that mech accordingly to get that little bit extra.

However, such a 'perk' would not transfer, or be available in another 'mech, or another class.

Weight class wise, the more time spent piloting a weight class, would mean your overall proficiency within that class would increase to a certain point.

As for LRM/SRM spreads, there's something for that already. A few things actually. NARC beacons, Artemis IV FCS, Tag Lasers etc. You're trying to reinvent the wheel there.

Increasing any system mechanically would incur penalties in the form of heat and durability.

Altering the characteristics of anything 'by a slight percentage' through a purchasable item reaks of WOW loot and optimal builds, thus bring the RNG element I stated before.

View Postfearfactory, on 02 November 2011 - 03:26 PM, said:

EDIT: Where did I say you have to pay for anything? It seems like you're suggesting things for me in order to debunk what I'm trying to actually suggest.

Did I say anything about paying with cash?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users