Live Feed for Matches of Interest

33 replies to this topic

#1 KyuzoJurai

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationPortland

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

Disclaimer: I've tried reading a lot of posts, and I tried searching for this in different ways - sorry if this has already been discussed.

There are some matches that people will want to see, perhaps even more people than can even drop into the room. For important battles, disputes of leadership, fights between legendary pros, or maybe even for training and tactics review, there are a lot of reasons why it would be nice to have the ability to watch a live feed of a game and maybe have a recording.

#2 Maxtac Jurai

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 21 posts
  • LocationYour 6

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

Hey all,

MW4 had the option to drop in as a viewer, but as time, technology and the internet have marched on, I also believe it would be good to be able to record, or even view live matches. And even better, if there was a way to stream them to websites. Great for advertising, great for getting the news of the game out to a wider audience, and for Units to show off what they are doing, and to 'battle it out' with interested viewers watching on.

What say you?

[HJ]-Maxtac Jurai
Tai-sho House Jurai

#3 palebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 352 posts
  • Location750 km East of Vancouver but only 10km from Russ' Mom's house

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

I'd agree it'd be nice, but would probably require a 30sec delay or something to that effect in order to combat 'gaming' the spectator mode.

#4 KyuzoJurai

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationPortland

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:54 AM

A 30 second delay or more is a good idea - I hadn't thought of the problem of "gaming" it, and the problem that arises by having people with teamspeak letting feeding pilots info about where people are. But for a one on one match in an arena it wouldn't matter.

#5 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:13 AM

Arena matches 1v1 no problem. Anything else even a 30 sec delay is open to gaming if someone is ambushing etc, it would have to be a completed match to avoid any problems.

#6 Dlardrageth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:29 AM

I tend to agree with Nik here. Personally I don't care what others do in their matches, but I would definitely take exception to being monitored in a match I am involved in live. Replay it as often as you want after it is done, I don't care, but if you think you can turn "Big Brother" on me (which opens up possibilities for a load of exploits), you might be surprised to watch me just throw the match. Call me spiteful at that if you want. :D

And yes, a mere 30 second delay is not good enough by far. For me.

Regarding your disclaimer, OP:

http://mwomercs.com/...__1#entry173839

Took me exactly 14 seconds... just saying... ;)

Edited by Dlardrageth, 24 March 2012 - 04:07 AM.

#7 KyuzoJurai

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationPortland

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:03 AM

holy crap... and they got the idea 4 hours before me, ***.

#8 FinnMcKool

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

Gambling anyone?

sounds great to me.

#9 Anvil Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationShionoha SF Bay Area

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

Variations on this have been poping up since November. It is hoped that eventually mutiple games will be deciding the fate of worlds within the various faction zones. News briefs with footage from the front adds color along the way but there will also be major events. Defence footage the defending faction sends out and attack footage the attackers may or may not send to their faction/employers.

Crossing my fingers a bit that future TV news reporters may want to practice putting bits together and reporting our news.

About the only ones that fit transmitting like a sports event would be a duel. So, if a pair of nobles with more C-bills then sense want to go at it (especially if they can afford 12 vs 12) it's news. I guess making the whole thing public just adds to the risk/cost in social standing.
I'm sure we will have egos and C-bill colections that large eventually.

#10 HRR Insanity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 867 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:42 PM

View PostKyuzoJurai, on 23 March 2012 - 08:32 PM, said:

Disclaimer: I've tried reading a lot of posts, and I tried searching for this in different ways - sorry if this has already been discussed.

There are some matches that people will want to see, perhaps even more people than can even drop into the room. For important battles, disputes of leadership, fights between legendary pros, or maybe even for training and tactics review, there are a lot of reasons why it would be nice to have the ability to watch a live feed of a game and maybe have a recording.

Recording/replays are a great idea. As long as it's recorded FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF THE PERSON DOING THE RECORDING. This would include any sensor relays provided by teammates, UAVS, sat fly-overs, etc. I do not feel that there should be a 'god-mode' replay (as in StarCraft 2) that shows all tactics. If you see the play happen, good for you. If you don't... too bad.

I'd love to be able to review my combat logs... very sexy feature.

As for live stream... No. That's just asking for observer abuse via 3rd party mechanisms. Or if you do get a stream, you should get to look over the shoulder of the player who's invited you to watch... and that's it. At a delay of a few minutes at least (3-5min probably).

Insanity

Edited by HRR Insanity, 29 May 2012 - 05:45 PM.

#11 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

View PostMaxtac Jurai, on 23 March 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

Hey all,

MW4 had the option to drop in as a viewer, but as time, technology and the internet have marched on, I also believe it would be good to be able to record, or even view live matches. And even better, if there was a way to stream them to websites. Great for advertising, great for getting the news of the game out to a wider audience, and for Units to show off what they are doing, and to 'battle it out' with interested viewers watching on.

What say you?

[HJ]-Maxtac Jurai
Tai-sho House Jurai

This is definitely possible, since LOL not long ago added in a spectator mode, that let you watch ranked games(after the fact to avoid cheatin g) Plus they have a record of every game ever played for the purposes of reviewing reports of bad.. people.

#12 Ivan Romatovich Kerensky

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

A delayed live stream would be kind of cool. The ability to log on to this site or another and watch tourny play or an important planet battle would be cool imo.

#13 Kanatta Jing

• 1,178 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:31 PM

I could imagine livestreaming an unimportant match. Or maybe if I had a password lock on a match.

But no an actual spectator mode is called "cheating commander mode."

#14 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:37 AM

View PostKyuzoJurai, on 23 March 2012 - 08:32 PM, said:

ui nicey..another good thing for a cantina-chatroom on outreach and other mainplanets :(

#15 Wildkarrde

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:17 PM

View PostHRR Insanity, on 29 May 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

Recording/replays are a great idea. As long as it's recorded FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF THE PERSON DOING THE RECORDING. This would include any sensor relays provided by teammates, UAVS, sat fly-overs, etc. I do not feel that there should be a 'god-mode' replay (as in StarCraft 2) that shows all tactics. If you see the play happen, good for you. If you don't... too bad.

I'd love to be able to review my combat logs... very sexy feature.

As for live stream... No. That's just asking for observer abuse via 3rd party mechanisms. Or if you do get a stream, you should get to look over the shoulder of the player who's invited you to watch... and that's it. At a delay of a few minutes at least (3-5min probably).

Insanity

I agree.

#16 Freyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 413 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

I like the notion of replays and streaming. Replays that takes the whole match and gives a spectator an option to look at either side (or as neutral) would be great. Streaming ought to be from the perspective of a guy you're spectating. Delay? Maybe 30 seconds. No need for a full two minutes, that would be pretty daft.

Streaming to the site would be great as well, though I'm not sure what to think on ghosting from that perspective.

I argue for a full replay since a full replay will let you learn how to improve. Hiding tactics away is just an amusing attempt to preserve an elite status when the real thrill ought to come from a close game by having someone learn what you do.

Edited by Freyar, 07 June 2012 - 10:43 PM.

#17 Wildkarrde

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

View PostFreyar, on 07 June 2012 - 10:42 PM, said:

I like the notion of replays and streaming. Replays that takes the whole match and gives a spectator an option to look at either side (or as neutral) would be great. Streaming ought to be from the perspective of a guy you're spectating. Delay? Maybe 30 seconds. No need for a full two minutes, that would be pretty daft.

Streaming to the site would be great as well, though I'm not sure what to think on ghosting from that perspective.

I argue for a full replay since a full replay will let you learn how to improve. Hiding tactics away is just an amusing attempt to preserve an elite status when the real thrill ought to come from a close game by having someone learn what you do.

So, in a real war you would allow your enemies to watch a replay of every move you make and the tactics you employ? "An amusing attempt to preserve an elite status..." You won't say that if you were the one doing the crushing. Teams become elite because they develop their own strategies and counters against an Opfor combined with mech configurations, pilot skill, and unit cohesion. I vote AGAINST live feeds and full replays.

#18 Artifice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 378 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:04 AM

League of Legends has this, mostly. I vote that it's not hard to implement.

I also put my hand up for Tournament-Level MWO. All your Mech are belong to me.

#19 Revage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 108 posts
  • LocationCoos Bay, OR

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

I'd like to see a library of game recordings of significant battles, but that they only be released after the battle is over. 30 second delays aren't enough in my opinion; you'd still get half-decent ideas of where the enemy is in slower mech matches.

#20 Freyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 413 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

View PostWildkarrde, on 07 June 2012 - 11:30 PM, said:

So, in a real war you would allow your enemies to watch a replay of every move you make and the tactics you employ? "An amusing attempt to preserve an elite status..." You won't say that if you were the one doing the crushing. Teams become elite because they develop their own strategies and counters against an Opfor combined with mech configurations, pilot skill, and unit cohesion. I vote AGAINST live feeds and full replays.

If people were actually bad, them watching you wouldn't improve their play. Tactics will and do leak, I don't see why trying to "hide" them is worthwhile. Even if I were doing the stomping, I'd be perfectly happy to have people watch and learn from my videos. (Hell, they might even be fighting on my side sometime and it'd be great for them to do better as a result.)

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users