...What is the difference between "Off Topic Discussions" and "Jettissoned Communication"?

3 replies to this topic

#1 SouthernRex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 374 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

They are both... "Off Topic." I mean really, what the hell is the point?

#2 Bianca Flowers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

I think Jettisonned is topics from anywhere/everywhere that were locked for whatever reason

#3 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

It's very simple.

Off-topic are topics that are indirectly MWO-related, such as Mechwarrior, gaming, and formerly non-site related tech support which was moved to its own Hardware/Computer forum after much lobbying, and Jettisoned Communications is supposed to be the "off topic off topic" forum, meaning anything that has nothing, whatsoever, to do with these forums, even indirectly, as well as throwaway topics, which means it'll be home to politics, religion, ponies, science fiction vs threads, anything that would be considering a "junk" topic not in any way related.

At least that's been the theory behind how these forums have operated pretty much since opening. In practice, the line is still a little blurry between the two, but Jettisoned Communications allows a place for topics that would otherwise be "spam" elsewhere, allowing Off Topic proper to be a place where there's at least real discussion at least peripherally related to the purpose of the forums, constructive topics that people can view without having to sort through pages of trash like "Let there be PONY!", and "Furries (no spam/flaming/pony please)", and "Star Wars vs Star Trek vs Battle Tech Space Battles". Most forums I've been on subdivide in this way. On the Star Trek online forums, for instance, there was "General Star Trek Discussion" (equivalent to Off Topic) and "Off Topic" (equivalent to Jettisoned Communications). They they got cheap, lazy, dropped half their moderating staff, and combined them, but Crypic's epic suck is beside the point.

The point is it serves an important purpose keeping the two apart, namely, improving the quality of the Off Topic forum. Sometimes a thread will go in one that belongs in the other, and admittedly that's gotten much worse with the flood of new people coming in since Beta (people here for the game, but never cared about the forums enough to come when that's all this place was), but for the most part, people still seem to know what to post what in. I'd say at the moment, about a third of the present Off Topic threads would normally go in Jettisoned Communications, but these isn't a very closely moderated forum from the looks of things.

Edited by Catamount, 18 October 2012 - 09:09 AM.

#4 pingtoohuy

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

About 1 inch lower on my screen, yours might be different if you have a wide screen monitor. :(

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users