#1 BoxOfAids

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 175 posts
  • LocationMA, USA

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

Hey guys!

I'm kind of a newcomer to the BattleTech universe. My primary experience with BT before now has been basically just MechWarrior 3, MechCommander, and MW:LL. However, with the onset of MWO and the memories of MechCommander from my childhood rekindling my interests in BattleTech, I've started reading some of the novels. I'm currently reading them in mostly chronological order, having gone through Sword and Dagger as well as the first 3 Gray Death Legion books, now working on Warrior En Garde.

Now, I'm probably going to join up with House Kurita come launch day (definitely don't want Steiner or Davion because of their already huge numbers, Marik and Liao aren't my cup of tea), and I thought it'd be good if I could hunt down some novels with more emphasis on House Kurita and the DC. If I were to pick up just a few maybe one-shot books (preferably not part of a big series, maybe just a short series like a trilogy at most), preferably on the earlier side of BattleTech history, which novels would be good for learning more about Kurita?

I ask because I'm somewhat busy, and probably won't have a chance to read TOO many more books before launch, so I'd like to read at least a couple that are Draconis-centered.

Thanks, see you all on the battlefield!

#2 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:16 AM

First and foremost Heir to the Dragon.

#3 martius

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:28 AM

Also try the Camacho's Caballeros Trilogy from Victor Milan. It is about a Merc unit employed by a member of the Kurita family that gets involved into the struggle between the Koordinator and the Black Dragons.

Path of Glory is good as well- while it is mostly written from a Nova Cat point of view the main character's strange friendship with a combine MW gives some interesting insights.

The Twilight of the Clans series heavily features a DEST team so might be interesting as well.

#4 Soviet Alex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 626 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:25 AM

"Heir to the Dragon" Robert N. Charette (ISBN 0-451-45535-5)

"House Kurita The Draconis Combine" FASA (ISBN 1-55560-039-5) Been out of print for ages, but you can still find pdf versions on torrent sites. Not that I'm suggesting you do anything illegal, of course. B)

"Field Manual Draconis Combine" FASA (ISBN 1-55560-287-8) Another Battletech book packed full of background material. Also out of print, I think (see above).

#5 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

I'd have to agree with all this.....

...except Commanchos.

If you like stories about warriors breaking through cockpit glass with a k-bar knife, carry on, if you like your sci-fi fantasy to be a little more real, forget it.

As far as novels go:
Heir to the Dragon (or Teddy Boy's Tales of Adventure as its also known amongst the Draconis March)
Wolves on the Border (or How I grew to J'aime Wolf by Takeshi Kurita)

#6 BoxOfAids

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 175 posts
  • LocationMA, USA

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

I currently only have a limited... erm... "collection" of novels that I... acquired. The only one mentioned in this thread that I actually have is Heir to the Dragon, so that'll probably be next on my list, then maybe I might be able to hunt down some of the other ones. Thanks again!

#7 phalanx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationBenjamin District

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

Handbook:House Kurita is a must.

What do you mean they haven't released it yet?

CURSE YOU HERB!!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users