Lanague filters & Pilot/Mech ladders

4 replies to this topic

#1 Lor

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

Language*
  • In my opinion, the MechWarrior Online definitely needs some sort of language filter.
It is inevitable to have players that attempt to verbally abuse and harass other players. Be it because of them not agreeing with how they play, an accidental team kill, whatever. It happens. But most people don't want to see it.

One way to solve this would be by having the option to BLOCK certain players text/chat from your game. This will help older players who have kids and don't want them to see the language as well as players who simply don't care for it.
This makes things easy. People who appreciate drama in the chat can laugh it up, while people who do not care for the colorful commentary can block a players chat and move on with their gaming experience.
  • One of the other opinions I have is in respect to pilot ladders. One of the things that has kept people playing the group of MechWarrior 4 games for 10 years is the fact that all aspects of the game- aiming, strategy, weapon and armor settings, mech movement, etc. all come down to one end deciding factor: the abilities of the pilot/player. The ability to excel in any area of the game without limitations has kept the game extremely competitive and interesting and I believe this is one of the sole reasons why players are still here and still waiting for another great MechWarrior game.
I think if you start putting in ladders and boundries with things like a lot of "mech/pilot ladders." What you are doing is grouping all players into generic pools, where they have to achieve certain experience or do certain tasks before being able to move on for better mechs or more accurate pilots. If you want to make a campaign section with those aspects, great. That's fun to start out in a story and build up your equipment. But when people get to multiplayer, people want to compete against other people. it's multiPLAYER. They don't want to be restricted and beaten by someone simply because the other player has played more hours and is higher up in the "ladders". if one persons aim is true, let it be true. Don't set everyone in a pool where the pilots all have certain accuracy and hit ratios until they spend X number of hours to the next level. If you restrict abilities and force players into pools with restrictions on mechs and pilots you're limiting people and they get bored and will leave. The only fun in that is getting to the top of the ladder/top level. When you're at the top, there is nothing more left to do and people leave because then there is nothing left challenging the player. That's called a generic, boring game.

If you want an example of what I mean, take a look at "World of Tanks". Although there is aiming and controls, a large portion of the game deals with tank tiers (ladders of tanks.) Basically, people get put into battles that sometimes they can do nothing in. Eventhough a player might be better, he/she can't compete with a higher tier tank. This can be very annoying and the game becomes nothing more than a "time buster" kind of like levels in a role playing game.

You can still limit restrictions so that everyone is not simply playing with the best equipment 24/7, but let that come into play with the individual server options/settings. If people want to be restricted and play with smaller mechs, maps, weapon ranges, great, go in that server with those settings and have yourself a blast. But, do not limit everyone that way because we all know that not everyone likes the same thing, right?

Thank you for your time guys and I wish you all the best of luck while working on this project.

Edited by Lor, 02 November 2011 - 05:12 PM.

#2 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:49 PM

I personally don't give a frack about having a language filter or not. I'm old enough to handle any kind of cursing (and curse myself from time to time). As long as there is an ignore feature, I'm happy. If someone abuses and it annoys me, I can just ignore him.

I think it's the case for the majority of players. If there's one, it better be optional! I actually hate censorship and seeing !@#$%^&*( instead of the actual words. Come out from under your rock and face the world already!

#3 Elucid Ward

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:56 PM

If you can't handle a bit of swearing, then you probably aren't old/mature enough to deal with simulated murder.

In which case, kindly GTFO and only return when you HTFU.

Thanks.

#4 Elucid Ward

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

Furthermore...

View PostLor, on 02 November 2011 - 04:41 PM, said:

One way to solve this would be by having the option to BLOCK certain players text/chat from your game. This will help older players who have kids and don't want them to see the language as well as players who simply don't care for it.
This makes things easy. People who appreciate drama in the chat can laugh it up, while people who do not care for the colorful commentary can block a players chat and move on with their gaming experience.

L2 Parent, it's not the dev's responsibility to make a game, which is about interplanetary conquest and at times GENOCIDE, kiddy friendly.

#5 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:03 PM

Aside from when I call someone a Savashri surat scum Language filter will not get that one :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users