Too Many Omnimechs?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Ferreiros

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:01 AM

Dont you think they (PGI) should creat a Sub-Game Mode where mechs are played like the are bought from Stock. Of course you can upgrade them with weapons from the same Family.
Like PPC --> ER PPC but no lasers or anything
large Lage ---> ER Large Laser or large Pulse Laser<--- here for example i dont know if its allowed to downgrade to lower weapons. But Honestly Scouts running with PPC´s, weapons that are even bigger than their Chasis in the Lore...thats ridicoulus.
Please give your opinions.

#2 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:17 AM

So you have another game mode?
"Free for all" - like it is actually

And hopefully there will be another game mode
"Stock only - 3035 tech" like the big tourney with most german units participating

What you suggest sounds like field refit kits. changing a SRM 2 with 1 ton of ammunition for 1 Medium Laser and a single Heat sink or similar. - I like it. Because it still would give all the room MinMaxers needed - without the restriction of staying 100% at the stock configuration - simple because some Mechs - that didn't work well in TT work much worser in MWO.

I'm not sure if it would be possible - to bind the MechLab directly to the still toCome battle lobby. How could it work?
I choose a lobby - or the game mod

Based on the timeframe and /stock, semi-stock, free
Now the Lobby is restricting my Mechs so that only those are available that could be played in that rule set?

As said good idea - and becasue you placed it in that sub forum - there will be people who will like it too.

#3 Ferreiros

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:48 AM

Well an Idea has to worked out first and i hope you share my point of view that there are some Mechs that viewed from Lore Side dont make alot sense, in fact i mean the config.

As Example lets take the current Firebrand:

2x PPC
2xAC2
2x Med Pulse laser.

If you ask me a solid build.

But today in a drop i faced a Firebrand with:

4x PPC ......

From my point of view, the torso should be restricted to Lasers Lower than Med Pulse Lasers. I kinda understand that people are heavily using PPCs because of main stream.

#4 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:00 AM

View PostFerreiros, on 28 June 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

Well an Idea has to worked out first and i hope you share my point of view that there are some Mechs that viewed from Lore Side dont make alot sense, in fact i mean the config.

As Example lets take the current Firebrand:

2x PPC
2xAC2
2x Med Pulse laser.

If you ask me a solid build.

But today in a drop i faced a Firebrand with:

4x PPC ......

From my point of view, the torso should be restricted to Lasers Lower than Med Pulse Lasers. I kinda understand that people are heavily using PPCs because of main stream.

Oh he is not allone:
3-4PPC Quickdraws
3PPC Hunchbacks
4PPC Catapracts
3-4 PPC Dragons
3PPC Trebuchet

The usefullness of a Mech is measured in the number of PPCs... .but hey if you have a problem with that - you are alone one a island :D

I think the same - the Jaeger and the K2 are too similar...and I admit i don't think that the position of a weapon is enough difference between both Mechs

Edited by Karl Streiger, 28 June 2013 - 04:01 AM.

#5 Ferreiros

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:08 AM

Dear karl,

do you think, that from your point of view, there are enough people, who might support a little tweaked Stock mech Modus?

I think that would be more challenging for all players

On the other hand i wont get a big auditorium if i dont post this somewhere else i guess -.-

Edited by Ferreiros, 28 June 2013 - 04:18 AM.

#6 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:16 AM

I think they may be the minority of the gamers, even active forum users... but still enough

only question if they are "purist" stock only - or "radical" MechProxys with minor modifications

#7 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:22 AM

View PostFerreiros, on 28 June 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

do you think, that from your point of view, there are enough people, who might support a little tweaked Stock mech Modus?

You're a Steiner... if you know Deutsch language, you can join the German stock leagues.

#8 Ferreiros

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:07 AM

Yes i am in the Tamar Jaeger Clan and i have been in Discussions with my Collegues and there seems to be rising a gap. On the one hand when we have 8 man/girl drops, we have about 6 Drivers with PPCs and rest AC20 and Gauss.I have left active duty because this is turning the game into a shoot them up.

Btw. whats the meaning of or "radical" MechProxys with minor modifications

I used search but cannot find German stock leagues may i get alink?

Edited by Ferreiros, 28 June 2013 - 05:11 AM.

#9 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

View PostFerreiros, on 28 June 2013 - 05:07 AM, said:

Yes i am in the Tamar Jaeger Clan and i have been in Discussions with my Collegues and there seems to be rising a gap. On the one hand when we have 8 man/girl drops, we have about 6 Drivers with PPCs and rest AC20 and Gauss.I have left active duty because this is turning the game into a shoot them up.

Btw. whats the meaning of or "radical" MechProxys with minor modifications

I used search but cannot find German stock leagues may i get alink?

http://mwomercs.com/...sic-tournament/

They fought with 3025 stock only... and the Tamar Jaegers were also participating....

But I believe they abandoned the idea of modification at first... but maybe with some bonus for example for JaegerMechs counting as 50t Mechs (because of ther inferior handling in MWO)

#10 Ferreiros

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:19 AM

Thx but a community attempt to get Stock only play-mode wasnt done/tried so far right?

#11 Antonio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostNiko Snow, on 28 June 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

What's an "OmniMech"

Is this related to those alien invaders?

:P :angry:

Really though we don't have any Omni's present in the game yet as all the current chassis' have fixed Energy/Missile/Ballistic hardpoints and can indeed change their engines, structure and armor.

Yeah, but the fact the engines/structure/armor can be changed plus the current flexibility of hard points make the IS mechs implemented in MWO more Omni than the Clans.

#12 UltraGott

Rookie

• Warrior - Point 3
  • Warrior - Point 3
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:10 AM

Only Omnis should be allowed to do so.
Wherefore is a catergory of Omnimechs useful, if not for being customizable?
Following that, you have to call all mechs omnis, which makes the title worthless.

Btw, all that customizing of IS mechs steals those mechs their character and leads to the communitywide complaining about noobconfigs like gausscats and dual-ac20boys.
it was no good idea to allow IS to change theirs mechs config.

#13 Jakob Knight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

View PostUltraGott, on 16 July 2013 - 06:10 AM, said:

Only Omnis should be allowed to do so.
Wherefore is a catergory of Omnimechs useful, if not for being customizable?
Following that, you have to call all mechs omnis, which makes the title worthless.

Btw, all that customizing of IS mechs steals those mechs their character and leads to the communitywide complaining about noobconfigs like gausscats and dual-ac20boys.
it was no good idea to allow IS to change theirs mechs config.

And we should also have Repair and Rearm in the game, which makes alot more sense but was removed because it put too much work on the players. Until that comes back, don't expect much along the lines of sense in the way you mean here.

As for no good idea to allow IS to change their configs, the IS -invented- changing the config of a stock mech to create variants. Indeed, the only advantage to the Omnimechs is that they could do so quicker, not that they were the only mechs that could (and it can be argued that hand-equipped IS mechs such as the Battlemaster and Wolverine could do so in battle, making IS mechs superior to Omnis). It was a very good idea to include customization, or the devs would have had to build every single configuration and every single battlemech in existence to fill all the needed mech roles and capabilities rather than a relatively small number of chassis that could be reconfigured to stand in for other mechs.

The interesting thing is that same customization is what would allow otherwise unrefitted IS mechs to compete at all against Clan mechs (which supposedly the OP would want to retain the ability to mount whatever they wanted because they are 'stock' that way, or the OP is simply wanting stock IS mechs to shoot up in Clan mechs that come completely 'refitted' with clantech stock). If there were no customization, you would never see the Clans in MWO at all, as they would represent too great a threat to game balance to be allowed (and may still, even so).

So be careful what you wish for. You may not like what you get.

Edited by Jakob Knight, 16 July 2013 - 07:05 AM.

#14 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:08 AM

View PostNiko Snow, on 28 June 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

What's an "OmniMech"

Is this related to those alien invaders?

:D ;)

Really though we don't have any Omni's present in the game yet as all the current chassis' have fixed Energy/Missile/Ballistic hardpoints and can indeed change their engines, structure and armor.

Yeah and your hardpoint system is broken if you couldnt tell.

#15 Rasako

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:17 AM

whats wrong with the hardpoint system exactly? I don't mind it, other than alphaboatwarrior online, but thats more a heat/convergence problem than a hardpoint configuration issue.....

Edited by Rasako, 16 July 2013 - 07:17 AM.

#16 Flcn

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

i would like to see a stock mod with minor adjustments
++ from me

#17 Count Sudoku

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:55 AM

The thing that bugs me is how smaller mechs seem much more versatile in the weapons they can fit. The assaults seem to always run out of slots. This is completely backwards. Because you can fit a bunch of large weapons on the mediums and lights it almost makes the big guys not worth it. Especially when you factor the speed issue. I have tried many configurations and routinely dish out more damage in my tbt-j than in my atlas-dc. and my tbt-n can fit dual lrm 20s and 2 ml and tag with plenty of ammo. This is better than a lot of cats I've seen. Again, completely backwards.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users