Battletech RPG (PBeM or PBF: Recruitment Thread)

5 replies to this topic

#1 Aidan McRae

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 114 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

Sweat speckles your brow almost instantly. You had heard it was hot, but this is something else entirely. An entirely new world, foreign, alien, but you made your decision and now you're here. Your boots crunch on the arid, loose brownish-red dirt underfoot as you leave your home of the last few months, Homunculus, a Leopard-class dropship that was headed to Galatea.

Even as the doubts, worries and second-guessing come to the forefront of your mind, seeing the sheer number of men, women and families trudging around the spaceport--each one looking more down-and-out than the last, and none seeming to sport the apparent wealth that the Third Succession War had reportedly brought to this planet and its warrior class--they are immediately dismissed. You've spent too many Comstar-bills that you couldn't afford, and you had your reason for coming here. And now you are. A resident of Galatea, in the sweltering Galatean Summer during Standard November, 3025.

Welcome, Mechwarrior. The future is yours.

------------------------------------

I am looking to start an RPG preferably via email or a board (not here) with devoted players. I'm also looking for a smaller group, something like 4-8, so it's more manageable and so that the speed can keep at a good clip, not waiting for each other's 'turns'. =)

Also, the game will begin individually, but as paths cross, it may grow as the PCs decide to come together (if they do).

To join, send me an email (mandor1784@gmail.com), preferably with both your stated interest and your character's intro, something specific and detailed that can spin off of the above, generalized introduction you saw above. Then we can tailor it together, based on the needs of the game, and yours as a player, and we can go from there.

Good Hunting,
Tyler

#2 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

whats wrong with doing it here... (note, honestly not interested, I am a bit stretched playing 7 characters at the moment, that part of the post annoyed me a bit however...)

#3 TheCerberus

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationOxford

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:27 AM

I'm interested in this but I really need more information to submit a character background. So here are my questions.
1) Is this game freeform or rules-based? If rules based, which edition of the rules? (I only have the old Mechwarrior RPG books)
2) Our characters are obviously supposed to be Mechwarriors, are they supposed to be currently employed or looking for work or just mercenaries looking for good fortune?
3) What makes Galatea a planet that a mechwarrior would go to? (eg lots of freelance work? house conflicts? black market 'mech parts?)
4) What are the posting quality and posting speed requirements? (post length and literacy required, minimum posts per week)

#4 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

Cerberus, you know that Galatea is known as Mercenary's star, right?

#5 Aidan McRae

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 114 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

View Postdal10, on 28 October 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

whats wrong with doing it here... (note, honestly not interested, I am a bit stretched playing 7 characters at the moment, that part of the post annoyed me a bit however...)

The need to continually log in is the main reason. Otherwise, I just prefer something that's exclusively for my game, be it my email box or a specific board, rather than one that's being used for a ton of FF and RPGs.

#6 Aidan McRae

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 114 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

View PostTheCerberus, on 28 October 2012 - 08:27 AM, said:

I'm interested in this but I really need more information to submit a character background. So here are my questions.
1) Is this game freeform or rules-based? If rules based, which edition of the rules? (I only have the old Mechwarrior RPG books)
2) Our characters are obviously supposed to be Mechwarriors, are they supposed to be currently employed or looking for work or just mercenaries looking for good fortune?
3) What makes Galatea a planet that a mechwarrior would go to? (eg lots of freelance work? house conflicts? black market 'mech parts?)
4) What are the posting quality and posting speed requirements? (post length and literacy required, minimum posts per week)

1) It will be primarily freeform, DRPG, but have me as a GM just to keep things nice and un-Munchkinly. I will be using CBT on my end for the Mech fighting, but describe it out in text while leaving numbers to me and my paper on this end.
2) I'm very open to ideas. Thoughts that I had when the idea was bouncing around in my brain: dispossessed looking for a sponsor, refugee from a war-torn planet, the inheritor of a family Mech and seeking fortune, last remaining survivor of a now-decomissioned unit. The options are really endless, though I see the beginning of the game being a sort of solo (let me see which players stick with it) before seeing if I can get a unit formed of my PCs and then doing some contracts as Mercs <-- goal as I originally intend, but open to play.
3)Galatea is known as Mercenary's Star, it's been the home of Mercenaries and the contracting organizations pretty much since the fall of the Star League and Outreach has not yet (by this point in the timeline) been Dragooned and made into the new, better Merc center. It's not a pretty world, but it's the one where the Mercs are, and so the contracts and money must follow that supply.
4) Quality requirements are high, definitely with detail and character depth, people who are going to do work on their end to match or exceed mine. Quantity requirements are more open-ended, except when battle is occurring, at which point, I'd really like at least 1/day, especially when it's a PC unit fight, just to keep things flowing. Otherwise, when it's free-form RPing, I'd like a couple posts a week, but I'm flexible with life requirements, etc.

Hope that helps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users