[Guide] Why you should love Zombie Wang! (A C-Bill grinding guide to the Yen Lo Wang)

134 replies to this topic

#121 DeltaDagger

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Great write up. It's nice to see people acting in the "community" way that PGI put into their mission statement for this mmo.

#122 AwefulWaffle

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

I'm loving this build!

When I first started playing a few days ago I realized I could buy mechs with money. Not being one to spoil myself, I decided to go against that idea and farm with trials mechs for my first. After accumulating 4mil~ Credits I bought a Hunchback-4SP.

It was most definitely a great purchase and I love it, but I wanted to try something "different". Stumbling upon this topic, and loving the look of the Wang, I decided to give it a try.

And man. . . it takes a LONG time for me to die.

The best part is it taught me how to turn my mech to absorb damage depending on what has been shot off and where I'm being shot from. Whenever I die now, I die with pretty much everything except my legs and torso destroyed.

One of my favorite matches had a Gausscat and a standard Wang (Complete with AC20) in our base capping. I walked back with a Jenner to the base and preceded to tank around 7~8 Gauss rounds and Multiple cannon shots without really flinching. I was hurt, one of my arms blown off and a leg almost crippled, and I think my back was compromised a time or two because of the caution indicator.

Well, the Jenner and I took off the AC20 canon and one of the Gauss Rifles and at that point the rest of their team was dead and we won with a cap :D Good times with a good build!

Going to invest in that 260 engine in a moment. Really loving the +30% credit bonus on my Wang!

#123 Jaynen

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

while I don't want to RELY on it. I do wish I had another weapon mounted.

BTW is there any reason to repair items? vs just structure and armor? Since I don't think items really have HP and just get blown up when the location does?

#124 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

Well, I'm saving for another Atlas so I didn't really want to pour money into an engine, but I found out that my Founders Catapult has a 260 engine which is enough to make my Wang go at 84kph. I already had a couple of Medium Pulse Lasers from a previous build and everyone has tons of extra heat sinks, so I tossed it together to make one. :D

#125 Dexion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationWestern Ma.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

You wont be sorry, its a stupid fun build... as in, you will have a stupid amount of fun with it. :D

#126 Vizzini

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

I keep absent-mindedly calling this mech (any build) the Lo Pan - it fits this one, though :P

How much money do you actually lose per match by keeping the arm cannon and just taking free ammo? I can understand leaving it off, since it's the first thing I tend to aim at.

Also, if you can play that well with just the pulse lasers, how much better do you think you would you be with the cannon? Enough difference in win rate to cover costs? ...or is that giant arm just too big a target to bother?

Edited by Vizzini, 13 November 2012 - 09:30 AM.

#127 auniqueid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts
  • LocationUSA east coast

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

just getting into the game... is this worth doing as a newbie?

#128 Cataphract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

My preferred all energy CN9 is the AL with a 260 standard 4x MPLS and 20DHS. My max repair when fully stripped out isn't even 40k and on average is only 10k really. My personal YLW runs stock weapons with a standard 235 so with Speed Tweak I still run a respectable 82kph and can still Zombie. The only Cent I have that cant zombie is the D but then again mine runs 122kph so zombie meching isn't a necessity in it.

#129 ZelenKai

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

The problem with this build is the 260 engine is too slow. I have been playing it for a few weeks and it works good but I wish I had more speed like a light mech. I don't have as much firepower as a medium and not enough speed like a light. It makes you a big moving target. You do last longer in a firefight than a light... but you better because you can't shoot and fade as well as a light. I play the Wang as I would a light mech but it doesn't always work.

Edited by ZelenKai, 15 November 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#130 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

View PostZelenKai, on 15 November 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

I play the Wang as I would a light mech but it doesn't always work.

Ah, there's the problem. :)

Try playing it like a Zombie, because that's what it is. There is no taunt button in MWO, but in a team fight, get in peoples faces and spew your green stuff all over their faces, try and make them shoot at you and not your teammates.

#131 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

View PostJimbobbob, on 17 November 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

I'm a newbie, just took my zmobie wang out ---after three rounds, with premium time, I'm making 250k / pug. this thing just eats up damage. This is a seriously fun mech.

Thanks! Glad you like the build.

#132 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

View PostZelenKai, on 15 November 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

The problem with this build is the 260 engine is too slow. I have been playing it for a few weeks and it works good but I wish I had more speed like a light mech. I don't have as much firepower as a medium and not enough speed like a light. It makes you a big moving target. You do last longer in a firefight than a light... but you better because you can't shoot and fade as well as a light. I play the Wang as I would a light mech but it doesn't always work.

The wang takes a 280.

P.S. With all upgrades (endo,dhs,ff) you can fit an ac20 and 2 medim lasers with a 250 engine. ROOTS!

Edited by Budor, 17 November 2012 - 04:23 PM.

#133 Phoenix210

Rookie

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

I was trying to find a viable build with my founder's Hunchy for SO long now.
I finally got annoyed enough to dish out the MC's and bought a Wang for the sole purpose of zombie grinding.

God, this is fun. I "repair all" every 10 games or so just for lol's and I still have an AC/5 in the arm. Still - just got my 3rd million. One long evening of fun and it's raining credits ^^

#134 Rested

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:21 AM

Very fun build that is fast n durable. Thanks for posting it, Vechs!

#135 Mireille Brightwater

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:10 AM

I've started to get better at playing my Zombie Wang now, good fun especially when you get good teammates, I ran over a hill straight into a dragon and a hunchback and sprinted back over the hill with the hunchback following straight into the sights of a friendly Atlas and Gausspult, I just ran in circles around him and pretty soon he was gone.

With the prem and wang bonus I'm seeing a quarter mil profits for a victory, still getting 100-120k for a bad defeat. Good fun and effective grinding machine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users