Damn Sand....

11 replies to this topic

#1 Opus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

This is an excerpt from several short stories about Opus. I have been writing for several years on my character “Opus” I once considered throwing it on a blog, but it seems a bit self-serving.

Let me know what you think, I have never shown this to anybody soooo yeah I’m not an English professor.

Damn sand, and burnt sand at that; burnt sand always has a flavor you never quite forget. But there is lots of that here on Tamarind. A hundred years of raids and fighting do that to a planet. It used to be nice place when I was born here, but my mother escaped with me, my younger sister Ann, and brother Sean - some 40 years ago. She wouldn’t come back, I had to. I had to know if it was a dream, or real. But for a boy of 5, it seemed brighter then, and well, less sand.

And yet more sand, I think to myself as I sweep the floor of the garage, it always finds a way in. They say the desert is receding, yeah right. But to the city Captain’s credit, there is green again in our village. Ever since we won our water rights back from Graham-Davis. They rerouted the river back, and farms are growing, and people are moving back. It’s good for business, fixing farm equipment keeps us in the black. Still the mountains keep the sand at bay, most the time, and the snakes as well. We introduced Mongooses a few years back, and well, I haven’t been bitten in a few months, or seen even one for a while. The snakes here, for the most part, are none poisonous; but there is the il-tamuskien. Nasty little thing, 6 seconds and your paralyzed, not dead, but you wish you were.

It is a nice Garage though; we earned a reputation in some very wealthy merchant circles, for repairing, well, just about anything. They just had to get it on planet and off planet without a lot of questions being asked. But everybody knew what we did, Hell, the local Comstar Precentor has a ‘vehicle’ in here now. We have 36 Techs on staff, and my sister on the books. ‘Don’t **** off Ann’ is our one, and only rule. My star mechanic Eddie has been with me, about 5 years now. I keep promising him a raise. If he could only keep my 56 Apache running, I would.

You finished yet, Eddie?” staring at his feet twitching under my truck.
“No, and what the hell did you do to this?” He replied
“Ummm, I found a hole”
“A HOLE? looks like you found a crater again.” He claimed, as He slid out from under it. “You’re not going to keep smuggling parts in for this piece of crap are you? Gasoline engines are not on the approved list of House of Marik, or the Free Worlds League”
Yup, it was my great, great, umm and then some grandpa’s from old Earth.” I replied “And Smuggling is a harsh word and illegal iffin I remember right”
So what was in the cargo containers, that we’re….Ummm….delivered to you” eyeballing them as if he hadn’t looked at the packing slip, already.
“OOoohhhh, Smuggled Parts.” I replied; he laughs but his eyes weren’t.
“They are both locked, I need your retina scan to open them, do you mind?”
I turn towards the frig “Lunch is ready, we’ll do that later. I need a beer, to wash down the sand, you let in earlier anyway.”
“Get me one too” Ed replies, still fixated on the crates. “Aren’t they a bit big for Truck parts, more like a truck in each, right. You didn’t take on a ‘special’ rebuild again?”
Beer amazing stuff, after thousands of years, it still hides the flavor of Ipecac. As I hand him a cold one. I can get to those crates later.
“Perhaps”

The next morning, Ed looks a bit worn out. But he went right to work, and didn’t ask about the containers. I had opened them, and unloaded the contents; Parts, parts, and a 1999 Bugatti EB110. The techs all stood around it, till Ed started yelling at them to get to work. Then he stammered; “What the hell have you got us into now” staring at me.
“Ummm a rebuild” I mocked him as always
“Does it run” he exclaimed hopefully
“Nope, but the other one arrives this afternoon, we’ll see what it can do”
“You sly devil you, two of them? Who? How? And how much are we making?”
“We’ll our young merchant friend from Marian, seems to have a thing for Old Italian earth cars” and the two them, are worth more than the dropship bringing the second one in today. We get the glory of; making him and his young fiancée matching racers……”
His face grew red with excitement “And Boss?”
“And yes - I can retire on what we’re making, but not you, you still owe me a running truck” I added
“****, why don’t you go buy a new one?” he chimed in
“Because I have money, and you, go get the Scorp ready - the rail went out with your sand storm from yesterday, so we have to go out to the southern landing to get 2 more containers”
“2?”
“Don’t ask questions son…… just go get her running”

The Scorp, well what can I say – it’s an old Industrial Mech that I found, and yes, I rebuilt it. It was one of my many toys, as sis calls them. She never understood the reasons, but since she ran the books, she always ******** about the money.

And now she looks really pissed off. “2 Bugatti’s, how the hell did you pull this one off?”
“Connections” I couldn’t look her in the eye, or I would start laughing
“Not your old Merc friends? I imagine?”
“Actually, no, an older friend, she seems to think I owe her a favor”
“OH GOD, here we go” Ann plants her face in her hands, and tried not to laugh as well.

Laughing, I pulled on my facemask and headset. Sat down to pull on my boots, and then I get that chill up my spine; it’s a sound you never forget – A fission reactor has a distinct sound, and I still close my eyes waiting for the ramp down of the core as it levels off……Any other sound and it’s going to be a long day. But for The Scorp it’s more of a prayer in this case. Just start, please, just start…

Then thud; Ed starts bringing her around the buildings, all our employees still stop what they’re doing to watch it through the windows, it is an amazing site. We call it the Scorp, it looks like an old Star League Scorpion, not really, but nobody has seen one for years. It’s an old Daedalus, I tell them, I just scrapped it together…I altered the 2 cargo units into one main hold, and removed the extra lifting arm, to add an air filter & blower to keep the sand, and dust out of the hold. Again, this damn sand can ruin the paint job in 2 minutes in a good wind storm, and I have to keep the customers happy. It’s long road to either port, 70 clicks to the pad, so a 2.5 hours at top speed, which we never do.

Ann yells out, “Do you want the loader to come as well….”
Nope, I fixed the arm on it yesterday used it to move those containers around, we should be good”
I hear her mumble something as I walk out the door..oh well.

The trip was uneventful; a few kids run out and point at us, but their used to the Scorp running around town, we use it for the parades, for the local teams if they win, and even if they don’t.

I never get used to the site of a dropship, even small ones, too many memories I guess. But there it stood, a big ugly one too, Mule - I think. No heat coming off the engines, so they have been waiting a while, and they don’t look happy either.

I climb down to meet them “Ok guys, sorry we’re late, but no Rail Cars today, the sandstorm covered the tracks, and the locals haven’t cleared it.”
“Just sign for the cargo, so we can go eat” a short fellow blurts out
“I need to see your ID’s gentlemen” I asked nicely “and air sample the containers as you might expect”
“Yeah, yeah, here you go” as he shoves an id badge at me. I scan it and almost gag from the smell he is carrying.

As I scan it on my portable, it flags a security fault. It has been altered, good enough hack, but he isn’t the owner of the card. I hand it back, nod, and walk to the containers.

In my headset, I whisper “Ed, call the Marshall, we got pirates I think.”
This will take a minute guys” as I plug in the air testing port on the first container. Good Air, Gasoline fumes - but not high enough to refuse the shipment. I unplug and start to the second container. I notice they start to fidget a bit.
“Ed” I whisper “what’s the Marshall saying?”
“I am getting nothing, we’re being jammed I think” I can hear the panic in his voice.
I plug into the second container; blood in the air. I start tapping the testing unit.
“Ah **** guys, the battery just died” I claim, they freeze “I think I have one in a hold over here” as I walk to the Scorp.
“Ed, tell me the ship is powered down?” I whisper
Yeah, no power readings, how are the jamming us?”
“Dunno, ok, just do what I tell you, don’t ask any questions. Open the side chair panel, enter 1369 on the keypad.”
“aaa, ok…. “
“enter the voice command Manual when asks for a helmet connection” my voice raises a bit, I glance at the group of men starting to walk towards me”
“Done, what the …. Boss it’s making a new sound” as the cad blow away bolts fire everybody in the groups ducks, as large panels fly away from the lifting arm, the smoke clears, revealing 4 deadeye medium lasers.
“Just aim the arm at them and shut up” I yell. I rip my 9mm from my vest, and point it at the short guy with the fake ID badge.
Guys, you got 3 seconds to make your minds up, drop your guns and run into the desert or we light you up. Ed would love to turn you into burnt offerings to the desert. Either way I don’t care, the Marshall is on his way, with his troops; your badge is a fake and you’re ******* me off with your odor”

The sound of guns hitting the concrete, make me sigh a bit of relief.

They start to run, and then I hear the whine of a fusion reactor. A Mech is firing up inside the ship. Oh Hell…..
“Shoot ED, just start shooting” as I run to the safe side of the Scorp
“HOW” he yells in my earpiece
“Red trigger button, pull it and wave the arm around, and aim at something damn it”

Lasers are funny things, they don’t make a sound until after the Coils are hit with the heat, and then you hear the scream that is so very theirs. Ed was aiming at the group as they ran, good.

I threw open a side panel for tools ripping the tool shelf out I grab at the hidden panel. A recoilless rifle is going to be useless if this Mech-pilot is any good. But I might scare him off with a good hit.

I heard somebody scream as a laser clips a leg of one of the runners. Then that metal on metal sound of the Mech coming out of the bay door. As I run behind the front leg and peer to see what lurches out of the door.

Wasp… I hiss - not exactly what I was thinking, but this still isn’t good.
It turns to aim at the loader; miss’s but clips the cargo bay. I step out, and fire at the leg. I hit the foot instead. The Wasp teeters a bit, but stays upright.
“Ed, aim for legs now, forget the runners” as I grab another rocket.
“What legs… oh crap” I hear him say “Boss?”
“Just shoot his legs” as I take aim as well for a second shot.

The Wasp is picking up speed as it lumbers down the ramp. The pilot isn’t that good I am thinking. Ed fires, and hits the ramp. The pilot leaps the Mech forward and hits the loading arm with a laser. It explodes with hydraulic fluid flying everywhere and the sound of power cables flailing about. I aim and see the missile portals open; I have one chance, and fire….
I hit the head instead. But it deflects the path of the Wasps missiles. I duck, and reach for another rocket. Only to be hit by the concrete flying up to hit me.

As I roll around, the Scorp is lurching to one side; it must have been hit in the leg as well. But the dust and freaking sand blocks my vision. I grab at a rocket, and load as I run around to clear the Scorp if it falls.

Still too much dust, but the screams of metal on metal keep me walking forward.

I see my Buster sitting on the Wasp. With Ann in the controls, she is punching at the cockpit windshield. She cracks the glass, it shatters with the next punch..I hear screaming as I run up and point my pistol inside, and fire. The clip is empty in a few seconds; I hear nothing, but my heart.
Ann moves the loader off the Wasp; I turn and see 3 bodies of the gang that had been running away.

The smoke around the Scorp is drifting off, and Ed is climbing down the ladder. A sigh of relief leaves my lips

I raise my gun, and load another clip, and run for the ramp. I hear the loader following me.
A shot glances past me, I fire up the gangway it came, dead center the body falls. I yell for Ann to get Ed and run for town. She turns and runs the loader down the ramp of the dropship. I keep glancing around, but nothing else moves. As I work my way up, I find a few of the crewmens bodies, in the entrance of the bridge. Inside I see the Captain is out and strapped to a chair. Another, the pilot I guess, is staring at me. I put my finger to my lips to signal he stay quiet. I pull the tape from his mouth.
How many are there” I ask
“7” he croaks
Ok, we got 5 of them, I think the other 2 are running for the desert hills to hide.”
“Thanks” he whispers

This isn’t good, it was then I saw see the name of the ship; Castaway - and start black out.
It smells the same, and why is it here. The Castaway was once home, it took us away when Tamarind was under attack. Lyran’s, I was told but Mom always told me not to believe it. She was Lyran, Dad was from here. As was his father before, as the case for 6 generations on Tamarind’s except for mom. And she never came back, once she left the Castaway, she never boarded another ship in fact. Which I found odd, her father was a merchant ship Captain all his life.
My vision starts to return, I hear somebody running up the gangway. I turn to see Ed, with a rifle in hand peering around the corner.

“It’s clear” I yell “I found the crew the Pilot is alive, the Captain is knocked out”
“The Marshall is 5 minutes away, let’s get them where it’s safe boss”

As we look to see if the ramp is clear, Ann is jumping out of the loader.
“What the Hell sis?”
Oh, just say Thank You, and you broke the loading arm last time you can down here. I just didn’t want to hear you whine on the call for rescue.”

She looks around, and smiles “Speaking of rescues, you can thank me twice”
“God I hate it when she gloats, but I have to agree, she is good in a Mech” I tell Ed as we walk down the ramp.

Ed starts laughing, then looks at me “Who the hell are you two?”

“I dunno Ed, I dunno”

Edited by Opus, 12 June 2012 - 08:49 AM.

#2 Death Blossom

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

So,

Not Opus from Bloom County then?

#3 Opus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

View PostDeath Blossom, on 03 April 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

So,

Not Opus from Bloom County then?

yes and no

Opus is described in Greek philosophy as "a Life's Work"

But I think Berke Breathed knows that as well, Vote MEADOW PARTY!

#4 SovietKoshka

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSomewhere betwixed the stars of the inner sphere and rim

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

cool you should be a writer man, your pretty damn good.

#5 Death Blossom

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

View PostOpus, on 03 April 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

yes and no

Opus is described in Greek philosophy as "a Life's Work"

But I think Berke Breathed knows that as well, Vote MEADOW PARTY!

An interesting answer. Witty and intelligent are not easy to pull off at the same time.

#6 Opus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:47 AM

View PostDeath Blossom, on 03 April 2012 - 04:42 PM, said:

An interesting answer. Witty and intelligent are not easy to pull off at the same time.

You made my wife, and Daughters laugh .....

thanks, I shall go shame myself in a session of MW4 laserboating now

#7 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationOn Barcelona where the crap is about to hit the fan.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

That wasn't bad, not bad at all, I like it, you should continue.

#8 Opus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

OK second entry

I couldn’t tell if he was going to yell, or laugh…

The local Marshal was a known hard ***, and he hated complications. But he and I had been friends since, hell I forget. Ann and I had returned some 15 years ago, and setup shop, he was our first “visitor”

“Nothing Illegal right?” was the first three words he said to me. Ann laughed and walked away.
“Can’t promise you I won’t try, and you must be the deputy marshal, right?” sticking my hand out “Names Democritus, Yours?”
“Deputy S William Romine, Democri – What?” He laughed
“Democritus, my father fancied himself a philosopher. Ask my sister her full name, if you think mine is bad,” Laughing I turned: Ann was glaring at me
“Ann” she said in her ‘don’t screw with me voice’ “And that’s all you’ll call me if you both want to live”

We lived, they dated for a while, but he couldn’t handle Ann’s wrath when he screwed up….

But now, kicking a broken barrel of a laser, he looked up at the burnt arm of the Daedalus, then at the barrel, then me…
“Ahhh, damn it Dem! What the hell is going on here “Comstar is going to want a report, and I have no clue what this ship captain has Comm’d out” He sighed “You promised me nothing illegal…..”
“I said I would try, and its best to know I didn’t start this” I added
“Yeah, I know, you never do start anything” Laughing as he walked over to the Wasp
“And this?” he blurted out
Ann . . . . . do I need to say anything else Bill?”
“the Pilot?” leaning into the cockpit to look inside
“Umm, me I think”
Ed pipes up from his perch on the Daedalus “YOU think?”
“Yeah, I didn’t want him to have a chance to aim at Ann, you understand that Bill, right?”
“Yes, Self-defense is understandable, but there isn’t a bullet outside his nose Dem….” Staring at me “who taught you to shoot like that?”
“My granddad was a sniper, Bill, you know that….”Smiling back at him. He had attempted to teach Ann how to shoot, but she beat him with every gun he owned. Pa taught us well.

“Excuse me, Gentlemen, this is Colonel Jamison, of the Castaway” Ann spoke up introducing him to us. We turned to see a man, too tall to be a spacer in my view. But grabbed me, and shook me from head to toe
“Thank you, Blessed Cameron, Thank you….”
“NOoOoOo… Problem Col”, I stammered
“How’s your crew?” Bill Asked
“4 dead, they locked the others in the galley except me, and my pilot” he said “They needed us to land it for them, then they waited for you” looking at me
“Me? I figured they were after the cargo. Why me”
“The leader, I think you got him” as we looked inside the Wasp “Yup, that’s him, the beard, he was only one with a beard” “ he said once he knew who was repairing the car, he found the MechPilot, he wanted to kill, So I am assuming he meant you. Since you took him down with that loader”
“Well, no that was her; the pistol work is my contribution to his demise?” Pointing to Ann. She just smiled, but said nothing to help me out.
And that’s when I heard Ed say again; “Boss, who the hell are you?”
Bill, and the Colonel staring at me…. Yeah they were asking the same thing in their minds.
“Ed, I am sure this is some mix up, those Bugatti’s are worth an Empires ransom, you know that. I think somebody is double crossing the owners, and trying to get our payment.”
Colonel Jamison piped up “Those Bugatti’s are yours?”
“NO, I am the restorer, not owner”
“So why would somebody want to kill the mechanic” Bill asked me
“Bill, I can’t tell you how much I’m making, you know that. But those cars are worth 270 Million C-Bills Each, there are only 12 known to exist. Each IS House, every Industrial Corporation Hegemony and every fat merchant Lord has a collection of prize old earth gas burners. And I am sure there are house raiders or some dumb Lone Wolf Merc, just itching to get the job to steal one of these”
Ed Whistled: “Damn, I could buy a drop ship with what these are worth”
Jamison looked around the containers “ well you got 1 more container in the ship still, and 3 mechs, and I don’t want them in my ship at all” Looking to me “ there yours now, salvage laws as they are”

Bill asked him what he had radioed out, nothing the captain claimed. Radios were broke once the hijackers came out of one of the containers. As I inspected the other containers, Bill wrote some stuff on his linkpad, and kept shaking his head. Ann and I went into the cargo hold, to see what the other container was. I scanned them, nothing toxic, or volatile on the air readings. No explosives at least. Then turned around to see what mechs were in the bay.

That’s when I started coughing, and I didn’t stop for a while. Ann was staring at a Warhammer - I swear she is drooling - It was missing an Arm, the other looked functional. Its armor had been pretty roughed up, and a few Molymer strands were hanging out the left leg.
Behind it stood a small Merlin, really rough shape, both arms are strapped to the back, and it looks as if the cockpit had been opened by a can opener.

But what was next to it was what had me coughing.

Devastator DVS-2 It was stunning, looked new, right off of Norse-Storm production lines. They had only been in production a few years as I understood it. But what the hell are Pirates doing with this? I turned and Bill was blocking my exit.
“What the hell is that” he coughed
“I have no clue, but I am about to find out.”

I went outside to Col Jamison; he said they were loaded, with my name as the recipient. He went to get the manifest, as I heard Ann scream in glee. The Warhammer was powering up. Bill came running down the cargo plank, with a look in his eyes that said; run.

I turned to see Ed pulling the body out of the Wasp. And I could hear another vehicle coming around the port entrance turning I saw Comstar on the side of the hover. Crap.
Bill came next to me openly groaned. “Well, this is going to be fun”

Comstar has no real authority here on Tamarind, but Marik, lets them run the place since that have several units stationed on planet. I have never had issues with them, they left me alone, which I liked; Till now. 2 of them got out of the hover; one had his jaw mouthing something into a comm piece.

They walked straight to Bill, and asked what was going on. He was filling them in. When the thud of a 70ton leg hit the ramp stopped everybody. And out came Ann – the cockpit was open she was waving one arm yelling at me “It’s mine you can’t have it”
“OH great, just shoot me now.” Ed heard me and said something sarcastic….
"What?" I yelled back
“Nothing, you’re the one still holding the pistol Boss” Sure enough I had stuffed it in my pocket, and it hung openly for everybody to see, including the Comstar guys walking towards me. They had their hands poised, but they hadn’t unlatched their holsters either. I took the pistol out, and dropped it on the ground, then smiled and said

“I can’t explain any of this, so don’t ask”
They started laughing; I relaxed a little bit more.
“No worries Mate” the Master Sargent said. “Bill says you were ambushed but you seemed to have gotten the best of them due to your sister showing up at the right time. “ I glanced over his shoulder to see Bill smirking at me.
Yes, Ann tackled the Guy in the Wasp, broke the windshield out, and I shot him.”
“Well, we don’t care so much about that goings on, as to why a cargo ship landed without clearance. We need to talk to the commander of the ship if you don’t mind”
“His radio was ripped out, from what I saw” It was then I noticed Ann had moved the Warhammer to stand on what was left of my Daedalus’ Loading arm, hiding the Lasers under its big *** foot. She is Brilliant I tell you, Brilliant….

Bill hands me a linkpad, stopping me from following the Comstar; he blurts out “Here sign that the salvage is yours, and the containers, and were done here” just loud enough for the Comstar guys to hear I guess.

They talked to the Col for a good 20 minutes; they didn’t even walk in the ship to my amazement, then left.

“How many Satellites, do you think are watching us now Bill?
“4 at least, with a hover sitting on the ridge over there too”
Do I have a sand storm in my future” I asked looking at Ed.
“I dunno boss, let me call” he knew what I was thinking as well. “ in 2 hours Boss, shall we load the containers now?”
“Yes, let’s load them and the Loader, Let’s see….That Wasp, - strap in to the top of the containers Ed, I don’t want it falling off.”

We went to work loading the 3 containers, and strapping down the wasp
Bill started having his 2 troopers load the dead bodies in their tracks, and stuffed the live ones in the back of his carrier.
As they pulled away I walked over to him, and asked if he wanted to pilot a Mech for me.
“Are you ******** me? Of course, I have always wanted to try that out?”

He and I walked in the cargo ship, I went to the Merlin, took the helmet, and looked at him. “You’re going to have to lose the headset Bill; this is what I need to tune you into.”
I tore some padding out to fit his big head, and we walked up the ladders to the cockpit. I stepped in, and checked the pre-charge cells, and started the startup sequences, he was leaning over watching what I was doing. I got him set down in the pilot’s seat, and started talking him through how to “drive” a Mech. I felt a hand grab me and pulled me back.

Ann looked at me and said “seriously, go get your new toy, I get to teach him this”
Bill cried out “Oh god help me” as Ann smiled at him.
I watched her climb in the cockpit, and straddle in the chair behind him. “Just like old time eh Bill” she said….

And I leave, quickly.

As I approach the ladder going up to the cockpit, I noticed a package taped to the Leg of the Devastator. In small hand writing; to Democritus O. Richfield.

I tear it off, and open the envelope; inside I see nothing, but a small piece of red string.

Not now, please, not now…..

Edited by Opus, 12 June 2012 - 08:49 AM.

#9 Opus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

Spent 7 days in Orlando during the IEEE conference, wrote about 458 pages....

now what the hell do I do . . .

Edited by Opus, 14 May 2012 - 08:15 PM.

#10 Braasch

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationLachen SZ, Switzerland

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

POST IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm waiting.....

#11 Opus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

I sent it for proof read'in with a local group here, starting on the next step in condensing the story threads in to something a little more ....

ummmm

yeah easier to write,.,., and read.. I should have paid more attention in English class back in the 70's

#12 Joe Davion 86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 269 posts
  • LocationCLT-NC

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:08 AM

this is absolutely fine fiction my friends kudos to you!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users