Beginner's guide to trial mechs

8 replies to this topic

#1 Rogbull

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:15 AM

I've heard quite a few harsh words about trial mechs these last few weeks, so I decided to spend the last weeks of closed beta playing them and figured out that there actuelly a few decent ones in there. Thus I decided to post my findings in the form of small video guides.

((edit)) I just rushed out a third video with an overview of current and previous trial mechs which you can find on my channel: www.youtube.com/user/AKARogbull/
I'll make a new one if they decide to give you a different batch of mechs. I hope this helps.

Youtube seems to take it's time putting videos in the upload section so look in the feed instead since I put my videos in playlists.

Since I'm pretty new to the whole video thing, I'd appreciate any input to improve on it.

Edited by Rogbull, 30 October 2012 - 09:13 AM.

#2 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:28 AM

To maximize your chances you should take the Centurion. If you`re lucky, you`ll go against a Yen Lo Wang, which is a fair fight.

Taking a Dragon results in being matched against a Gausscat, a Streakcat or a LRM Boat. AC5 against double Gauss? LRM10 against double LRM15? 2 lasers against 12 homing missiles? Run away and hide?

Trial Awesome has enough ammo for 39 seconds of firing! You`ll be going against an Alas LRM boats that can fire continuously for 10 minutes.

Trial Raven will face a Jenner which is 20 to 60 kph faster. With no chance to outrun it he`ll eat through your back armor in minutes...

The only advice I can give is to join a mercenary corp or a "clan". Or send PGI a ticket saying the matchmaker should only pit new players in trial mechs with other trial mechs.

PS. Great video BTW: an 80 ton mech gets owned by a 35 ton Jenner...

Edited by Kmieciu, 30 October 2012 - 06:33 AM.

#3 Rogbull

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:32 AM

Completely agree on the Raven and Dragon, you should stay away from those.

I played a lot of the Centurion and Awesome during the last weeks of CB and while there are some clearly better loudouts out there, I did consistently do well with these 2 using the playstyle described in my video's.

#4 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:48 AM

I think it would be better if you renamed it to a guide to stock mechs, because of 3 reasons:

1. Many people think trial mech is some heavily disadvntaged piece of junk, not realising this is the canon mech with all its strengths and shortcommings they will most likely play for a few matches to get their beloved equipment.

2. Trial mechs will be rotated on a constant basis, so you can just make a set of guides for every stock mech in existence and youll have a guide for every possible trial mech.

3. Because of teh fact these are basically the same mechs you will buy later, the addition of calling them trial is not really needed.

#5 Thrak

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

Trial Awesome is awesome.

Bad bits
1) Low ammo for LRMs
2) Poor heat capability

Good bits
1) 2xLRM 15 has a nice punch
2) Good medium range capability from those LLAS, and they are surprisingly easy to aim
3) You have the most armour of the trial mechs

You have 3 finite resources - LRMs, armour and heat. So take LRM shots when they are pretty sure to hit (but expend them before the enemy closes), don't be afraid to poke out when the enemy is 600m, target with R and laser, lrm, laser and retreat. You teammates LRMs will streak in, and you hide in cover. You can soak a bit of fire; you're not that fragile.

When brawling starts slot out behind any atlas's and use your superior arm aiming to shoot past them. It's then your job to pick up on any medium mechs. Shoot Cents in the left arm first, and always shoot a dragon right in the nose. All other situations check the damage map and focus your fire - keep an eye on heat!

When you're confident you can even use your head SLAS to *** at things. For fun.

#6 Rogbull

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

Aridos, 1+2 are valid reasons and I will consider it because of them. Although for now I'm not 100% convinced that they're not going to stick to the last 8 mechs.

The 3rd point I'm not sure about. I try to promote a specific playstyle that only works out if they stay that loadout. I don't see why anyone would stick to it if they own the mech.
But thanks for the suggestion, it makes sense.

Also I've uploaded an overview of the last 8 trial mechs ranking their worth from my experience. Obviously Jenners and dragons with medium lasers and only 10 heatsinks can find themselves of the bottom of my ranking.

#7 RabbidFerret

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

Something I want to point out to new players:

Matchmaking is based on weight for each mech. If you roll a medium, the enemy team will have at least 1 medium. If your team is 8 lights, you'll fight 8 lights.

So if you decided to roll a trail Awesome, the enemy team has a chance to field a fully-kitted Atlas. This has a serious impact on the team, especially because that Awesome really stands no chance against others in it's weight class.

So my advice is to play the Centurion. You'll be less of a target and you'll be facing less firepower overall. A medium mech should be your first purchase so why not get familiar with the weight class while you're grinding?

Edited by RabbidFerret, 30 October 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#8 Rogbull

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:24 AM

A valid concern about the outgunning. But it sure seems like a drag to just play the centurion when there's a decent assault available. And I'd like to repeat that I did very well while gathering Awesome footage. So fully decked out atlai can happen, but I thinks it's worth the risk, for your gaming sanity.

Being the last topic on the forum hurts my ego. :rolleyes:

#9 TroglodyteJB

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

View PostAdridos, on 30 October 2012 - 06:48 AM, said:

I think it would be better if you renamed it to a guide to stock mechs, because of 3 reasons:

1. Many people think trial mech is some heavily disadvntaged piece of junk, not realising this is the canon mech with all its strengths and shortcommings they will most likely play for a few matches to get their beloved equipment.

2. Trial mechs will be rotated on a constant basis, so you can just make a set of guides for every stock mech in existence and youll have a guide for every possible trial mech.

3. Because of teh fact these are basically the same mechs you will buy later, the addition of calling them trial is not really needed.

There's no EW modules yet, right? So by definition, the only stock Raven that's accurate to canon is the 2X.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users