439 replies to this topic

#41 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostSporkosophy, on 04 April 2012 - 09:19 AM, said:

It would make sense given the fluff behind replacing the internal structure.

It also raises the question that I didn't see answered: can you change from one armor type to another (from standard to ferro), or one engine type to another (from standard to XL) within the variant. Changing this alters the critical structure pretty significantly, so I'm going to guess not.

#42 deathabarbar

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 29 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

it would be nice if we can make our unique skin and deacals

#43 Corwin Maxwell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 198 posts
  • LocationTexas

Very well done Sirs!..very well done!...a very good balance of Technical know how and ease of play!

#44 geck0 icaza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationCA

I love that I saw "carrying over from tabletop" Multiple times. Thanks for staying true guys! You have consistently justified my confidence. Keep up the good work.

#45 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

One big question on decals: Will we be able to upload our own? I'm really hoping that's a feature; I'm completely willing to pay for custom unit decals.

PS: This sounds like the ideal marriage of the MW4 hard point system (one of the best ideas from that game, positively) and the CBT build rules. It's got the more advanced aspects I missed in that game, but also the hardpoints to keep the 'mechs personalities intact.

Great job.

Edited by Victor Morson, 04 April 2012 - 09:27 AM.

#46 Sporkosophy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

View PostDihm, on 04 April 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

It also raises the question that I didn't see answered: can you change from one armor type to another (from standard to ferro), or one engine type to another (from standard to XL) within the variant. Changing this alters the critical structure pretty significantly, so I'm going to guess not.

Eh, I'd like them to allow both; part of why I like the 3050-era Centurion, basically an engine change and slight weapon upgrade due to use of available space in the side torsos and the subsequent extra tonnage being opened up.

#47 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

So here's my questions:

1. Since each Mech VARIANT has it's own efficiency tree, does that mean with variant ABC, even if I change it's loadouts, they all share from the same efficiency tree? (ie, not a per-loadout per-variant efficiency tree)

2. I hope we can save loadouts (per variant)

3. I hope we can import/export/name our skin customization.

4. I hope we can import our own insignia.

5. If armor on the torso is auto split evenly does that mean that you cannot put more armor on front/rear of Mech?

6. Where can I purchase one of those antenna's for my Mech?

#48 00dlez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

Once again I find myself having more questions than answers.

My first response to the mech lab explanation is simply "Duh...". I see very few differences, small between this mechlab and that of MW4, which makes me disappoint. Granted, I knew coming in that my desire to have only stock variants available would never come be, but I still hoped it would be more restrictive than "LOL PPC BOAT".

I guess I am hoping that unlike in MW4, there aren't loads of extra critical slots to stack on the big guns. I don't have a specific example in mind, but I recall many mechs with ample excess critical locations where one could remove a large laser and input a PPC because there was an extra critical slot there that the stock version left empty.

Once again, I will have to wait until the product is released to know for sure, but this has done nothing to ease my troubled mind.

#49 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

View PostSporkosophy, on 04 April 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

Eh, I'd like them to allow both; part of why I like the 3050-era Centurion, basically an engine change and slight weapon upgrade due to use of available space in the side torsos and the subsequent extra tonnage being opened up.

If the Centurion is your ride, it sounds like you're covered then, since they'll be a variant that handles the situation you'd like (XL engine, no Endo). :)

#50 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 04 April 2012 - 09:25 AM, said:

One big question on decals: Will we be able to upload our own? I'm really hoping that's a feature; I'm completely willing to pay for custom unit decals.

Well as long as you actually download the game, you can have any look for the mech you want with just 2 problems. You will see every mech of that same configuration in the same color and noone else could enjoy your awesomness. :)

#51 Sarriss

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

A mix of 3/4's mechlabs, I think I can handle that but with more 3 (which is a major plus). Good job PGI, you have put some of my major fears to bed...Paul get out of bed with my fears.

#52 Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationMordhaus

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

I would like the idea of having to buy a variant with endo or buy a variant with XL. Makes more sense cosidering the expense of changing those components out.

#53 Alan Grant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLooking for hidden caches, within the BT Novels™

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

Looks good.

I hope we can add our own custom made camo sets at some point, rather than making one in game. Also custom decals, and all the fun stuff.

Can't wait to dig into it either way.

#54 Sarriss

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

View PostDihm, on 04 April 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

Didn't the very first part of the post say that we could change everything including engine and armour types? I wouldn't be too worried if it wasn't covered in depth here I imagine down the road it'll be there.

Edited by Sarriss, 04 April 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#55 pistolero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Locationnot in MWO

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

looks very nice so far :)

will there be different variants of each mech ?
so we have different hard point set ups for one mech

#56 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Me gusta.

#57 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

yay! :)

#58 Sporkosophy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFlorida

View PostDihm, on 04 April 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

If the Centurion is your ride, it sounds like you're covered then, since they'll be a variant that handles the situation you'd like (XL engine, no Endo). :)

Oh, never said I'd pilot such mere battle armor, merely that I was preferential to that type. Anything less then 130 tons is suitable only for scouting, after all.

Edited by Sporkosophy, 04 April 2012 - 09:39 AM.

#59 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

Basically it takes the critical system from MW2 Mercs and the hardpoint type system from MW4, and adds in a RPG-like Module system. No complaints.

#60 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

View PostAdridos, on 04 April 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

Well as long as you actually download the game, you can have any look for the mech you want with just 2 problems. You will see every mech of that same configuration in the same color and noone else could enjoy your awesomness. :)

I'll admit, that made me laugh. If you want to see the worst example of the way to implement custom skins, look at that Ace Combat game with about $300 worth of downloadable pre-made skins, that only show to you locally. That whole thing made me face palm from reputation alone.

Given lots of games have allowed uploadable sprays (Including MW4!), and I see it being a huge demanded feature, hopefully they'll let us upload our own decals for a modest fee.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users