Disable Heat?

138 replies to this topic

Poll: Disable Heat for matches (347 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like an options to turn off heat and/or unlimited ammo for matches?

1. Yes (8 votes [2.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.31%

2. Voted No (339 votes [97.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 97.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Trogusaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 314 posts
  • LocationKrogan homeworld of Tuchanka. Wait, different universe.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:30 AM

View PostMao of DC, on 06 April 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

I was amazed and pleased to see so much of it. :) I glad im not the only one who disliked MW4 mutiplayer. The first time I played a match I didnt relize that it was NHUL and just got wasted. So I looked for a HOLA game couldnt find one ended up starting my own and got ***** at for haveing heat on. I never played MW4 mutiplayer again

Don't get me wrong, multiplayer could have been great. The mechanics were there, plenty of playstyles to choose from... except anything short of 5 ERPPCs and a pair of jump jets was considered obsolete.

#122 Siilk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:40 AM

*looks at the poll*

Seems like the answer to "Would you like an options to turn off heat and/or unlimited ammo for matches?" is

Posted Image

#123 PhelanKerensky

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 32 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:56 AM

Heat and ammo should be a part of the game, that is the balance mechanic which prevents ludicrous mech configurations.

#124 RockHound

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:47 AM

Ill admit i was apart of the NH/UA crowd back in the day i was in my mid teens at the time, but now being in my late 20s i feel different then i did before and believe that Ammo and heat is a MUST in this game, it will inspire us all to be more skill full, and only Alpha strike when we know its right to do so. It will make us all better MechWarriors.

#125 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:03 AM

This has got to be the most lopsided poll I've seen. 5 for, 282 against?

#126 StompyMcGee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:52 AM

I'd like to see it as an option for closed matches that don't affect the larger meta-game world. Basically, they'd be like 'mech paintball or laser tag. Something to goof about with, really. Not srs bsns.

#127 jlbdeath

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 79 posts
  • Locationvermont

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:06 AM

heat and ammo managment should be the pilots job to work out not an option that gives unrealistic battle conditions. say no to no heat no ammo

#128 jjuurriijj

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationLjubljana, Slovenia

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:29 AM

Heat and ammo are going to be considered in module design and balancing so excluding them from the equation will make weapons imbalanced. Imagine a weapon with only two weaknesses small amount of ammo and huge heat generation, but really high damage, range and rate of fire. What happens when you remove the two things that keep it from destroying everything?

#129 Shai tan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:48 AM

". I expect that there will be an element of new, younger players that would like to play with different options and that might include no heat play. From a marketing standpoint, a no heat option might be a good idea "

The whole downhill slide into near Oblivion for PC games came about because of EXACTLY what you just said. By going literally overboard trying to balance a PC game for everyone, the game usually now ends up feeling made for the lowest common denominator, and serves ONLY the lowest common denominator.

You cannot please all camps. Not all games can be tailored to please all player types. I really hope with the FTP model that it becomes REALLY popular with Developers. Maybe this way we can get some games for PC that don`t feel like blatant Arcade console rips. Maybe then.... if it walks, talks, looks like a SIM... it actually might BE a SIM.

I won`t shed a tear if little Johnny cries the blues cause MWO requires a bit more from him than he is used to cause of its SIM feel. Especially since for the last 10+ years I have had to put up with game devs literally bending over backwards to placate the little Johnnies/kiddies of the world.....they stopped making any PC games of real substance.... and started squeezing out mindless Arcade crap turning everything into a quakerfest. All done for the good of the "Marketing standpoint".

Well, please excuse me when I say.... all the little Johnnies/kiddies will now have to put up.... and shutup... just like I had to do for the last 10+ years. If they want a MechQuaker, I hear Hawken is right up their collective alleys. ;p

Edited by shai`tan, 07 April 2012 - 05:51 AM.

#130 Felbombling

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:21 AM

Sometimes you need to tell the high maintenance customer that their business is no longer welcome. It is actually a cost saving measure, when you balance what they bring into the business vs. what their outrageous demands and requirements take out.

Here is hoping that Piranha has the intestinal fortitude to make 2% of their potential customer base unhappy.

#131 Felix Dracc

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

No, and that all I got to say on the subject.

#132 Lyon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLumberton, MS

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 07 April 2012 - 06:21 AM, said:

Sometimes you need to tell the high maintenance customer that their business is no longer welcome. It is actually a cost saving measure, when you balance what they bring into the business vs. what their outrageous demands and requirements take out.

Here is hoping that Piranha has the intestinal fortitude to make 2% of their potential customer base unhappy.

That man is in touch with his inner realist.

#133 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

Seems the VAST majority are of one mind -- Bring your best and play within the constraints of the game or stay away, your participation is not wanted (nor warranted) otherwise so do not waste your (nor our) time further.

The ones for No Heat are so statistically insignificant as to not even represent (let alone suggest) a standard deviation - further discussion to the contrary is moot.

#134 carl kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 395 posts
  • LocationMoon Base Alpha

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

Absolutely need heat in the the game. It's canon baby. Don't want any uber laser gunbag mechs running around either.
It will FUBAR the game.
Ck

#135 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

Whaddayamean no heat? Don't be silly! How am I gonna fry up some eggs and bacon on the control console without things getting hot? A Mechwarrior needs to have his grub ready for when the fighting is over ya know. Shooting FedRats is hungry work.

Edited by Steinar Bergstol, 07 April 2012 - 11:23 AM.

#136 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

Heat is an important aspect of the game in TT. It limits energy weapons especially from being way OP.

However the reason I don't want heat disableable is because things like that can split the community into those playing without and with, and there are probably people in both sides that would be fun to play with. It's not good for the overall game.

It certainly split MW4 gaming. I've talked to people from both aspects of this subject, and NHUA can take skill, but with an unsplit community, it's certainly to be more better.

Edited by verybad, 07 April 2012 - 11:36 AM.

#137 Belial

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 07 April 2012 - 06:21 AM, said:

This. This. This.

As someone who has been exposed to the business end of restaurants for five years now, I can attest that this tactic is the way to go. Do I want to please all my customers for the shift, or ignore them and try to cater to the ridiculous requests of the one person trying to get stuff for free? Sometimes you have to say "no" and cut your losses; in this case, insignifcant losses. The number of people who are in favor of disabling heat is in the single digits. Veterans have provided direct evidence why NH/UA is bad. Zero for why it is good. Logically and gameplay wise, NH/UA does not belong.

Edit: For typo

Edited by Belial, 07 April 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#138 GrizzlyViking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

While it is clear that many people are concerned about a no-heat option I expect there will be a no-heat option simply because it is "an option." Since it is not forced people can play with or without. The community will decide if no-heat play will be useful or not and I expect the old-timers that are here on the forums now will be the people that play without it simply due to enjoying the extra dynamics created by managing heat and building flamer boats. lol On the flip side there will be new players that just want to jump in and fight without having to worry about all the details and some open FFA play might be fun with no heat from time to time. The more players the game attracts the better it will be for everyone and more options usually attracts more players. Options for weps, configs, heat, maps, games types, etc. etc. etc. will serve to increase the numbers of players and the revenues generated. More revenue generation results in more of everything for the entire community and a long game life. Options are just options....try to relax people, it's still just a game.

#139 Ramien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • LocationToledo

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

I don't even want to think about what designs people would come up with if heat or ammo were no longer a concern. With no need to allocate tonnage or critical space to ammo or heat sinks, people would be free to load up their mechs with as many weapons as they could fit on the frame.

On the other hand, Gauss rifles would lose a lot of their allure, since they'd still blow up when hit unlike every other weapon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users