Disable Heat?

138 replies to this topic

Poll: Disable Heat for matches (347 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like an options to turn off heat and/or unlimited ammo for matches?

1. Yes (8 votes [2.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.31%

2. Voted No (339 votes [97.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 97.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

As a matter of principle, this

"Should there be an option to turn of heat for matches"

does not constitute a proper question. Please edit...

#22 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

its not that hard to manage all the proper combat functions of a mech. people need to play with the proper rules in place to get better, not run amok with settings off and never achieve success in an actual battle

#23 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

I voted NO.

To turn off heat or anything else is to turn MWO into an arcade game.

Though as Aegis stated, for a particular game mode/type, I would not object. I would not play that mode, but I am sure there would be a few who would. My guess is that the average age group for UANH would be around 8-12.

#24 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

View PostGeist Null, on 05 April 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

its not that hard to manage all the proper combat functions of a mech. people need to play with the proper rules in place to get better, not run amok with settings off and never achieve success in an actual battle

This. Plus if the OP is against it, why even bother with a poll? Especially as it didn't even include a reason why someone would want this.

Now a match that is held in a very cold environment say that caused HS to be highly efficient I could see, but I would expect other environmental factors such as slower speeds, easier to fall down etc due to ice, that sort of thing.

#25 Mao of DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 690 posts
  • LocationTerra, Sol System

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 05 April 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

As a matter of principle, this

does not constitute a proper question. Please edit...

Is that more in line with the rules of the English language?

#26 William Petersen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

The results of this poll make me =D.

#27 SweetJackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 968 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Even Mech Assault had heat management, even if it was very basic. Heat is required.

Edited by SuckyJack, 05 April 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#28 The Cheese

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

"I couldn't adapt to someone else's tactic, so the whole game should be changed to accommodate me"

#29 StandingCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,069 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

There is not a font large enough for the word, "NO".

#30 DeformedSlowest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 140 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

I voted "yes" because it's an "OPTION" that can be decided guys! It doesn't mean that all matches will be "NO HEAT" matches as it probably would be a "sandbox" game for other people unfamiliar with the whole BattleTech/MechWarrior Universe to try to get into the game to learn the basics without you verterans trolling them, calling them NOOBs because they don't know how to pilot a mech (read Piloting SKill). Remember we are given options in real life as well. We can choose to commit murder but will the smart and sane man do it? It just like MWO. You have the choice to join NO HEAT games but will the smart and sane player do it?

Aside from that I would not join those matches, especially if the consequences of losing are the same as in a match that requires heat management.

#31 Cochise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 642 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

You must be thinking of MW4 online nowadays where all the servers have disabled heat. To me, it doesn't even seem like mechwarrior. Heat is a just part of the deal, like legging. If legs weren't meant to be shot at, the mechs would be tanks instead.

#32 William Petersen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

View PostDeformedSlowest, on 05 April 2012 - 06:11 PM, said:

I voted "yes" because it's an "OPTION" that can be decided guys! It doesn't mean that all matches will be "NO HEAT" matches as it probably would be a "sandbox" game for other people unfamiliar with the whole BattleTech/MechWarrior Universe to try to get into the game to learn the basics without you verterans trolling them, calling them NOOBs because they don't know how to pilot a mech (read Piloting SKill). Remember we are given options in real life as well. We can choose to commit murder but will the smart and sane man do it? It just like MWO. You have the choice to join NO HEAT games but will the smart and sane player do it?

Aside from that I would not join those matches, especially if the consequences of losing are the same as in a match that requires heat management.

Learning to walk does not require crutches. Nor does learning to use a BattleMech require a no heat option. In fact, it probably puts the player at a disadvantage.

#33 osito

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, ca

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

of course the answer is no. Thank god everyone agrees with me. Taking away heat and ammo concerns means taking away a major part of the tactical thinking that is a cornerstone to bt.

#34 DeformedSlowest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

View PostCochise, on 05 April 2012 - 06:15 PM, said:

You must be thinking of MW4 online nowadays where all the servers have disabled heat. To me, it doesn't even seem like mechwarrior. Heat is a just part of the deal, like legging. If legs weren't meant to be shot at, the mechs would be tanks instead.

If you think about it, a mech is a tank using legs instead of tractor treads for movement. For example a Striker Assault Vehicle is an APC just like a M-113; one has wheels while the other has treads.

View PostWilliam Petersen, on 05 April 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

Learning to walk does not require crutches. Nor does learning to use a BattleMech require a no heat option. In fact, it probably puts the player at a disadvantage.

Again, you guys are missing the point. IT'S A FREAKIN OPTION! Why limit the options available? Some people may want to play without heat some days while hardcore fans will not. It's called freedom. Don't play in those "NO HEAT" matches. Yes it may put a player at a disadvantage because they may not have learned to properly manage heat and weapon loadout, but it's a way of getting the casual gamer interested enough to try to learn the ropes if the game interests them enough. Just consider it a "recruiting" tool to get a more divserve crowd interested in the game.

Again the question asked for the option of having it. It doesn't explicitly say that since the option is available all matches will me.

Edited by DeformedSlowest, 05 April 2012 - 06:37 PM.

#35 GrizzlyViking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

Heat? What about map temps? Will there be hot, average, and cold maps like in MW4?

Varying map temps makes things much more interesting and realistic.

Temperatures are not the same everywhere, nor should they be in the mechwarrior universe.

#36 Felbombling

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Was this an April Fool's day post? lmao

#37 William Petersen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

View PostDeformedSlowest, on 05 April 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

Again, you guys are missing the point. IT'S A FREAKIN OPTION! Why limit the options available?

The point is that it breaks the game. Options that break game play aren't options, they're cheat codes.

#38 LackofCertainty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

I don't fully see how the poll relates to the OP. Your poll is "Would you like an option to turn of heat in matches" but your post says nothing about heat. It talks about how you don't want 1 shot kills, due to boated out mechs.

How does that have anything to do with having an option to turn off heat?

It's like if I started a thread with a poll.

"Do you like puppies? Y/N"

and then spent the first post in the thread talking about how I hate cats.

If your poll/thread name was something about "Do you think that previous Mechwarrior games handled heat properly?" then your first post would make sense to me, and I would agree that previous Mechwarrior games didn't make heat as much of an issue as it should be.

Now, as far as your poll goes, I don't want an option to turn off heat in game, -however-, I do think that different environments should have different heating effects. (aka arctic map doubles effectiveness of heatsinks, desert map halves it, etc etc.)

Edited by LackofCertainty, 05 April 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#39 GrizzlyViking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

Some are purists and others are not. I expect that there will be an element of new, younger players that would like to play with different options and that might include no heat play. From a marketing standpoint, a no heat option might be a good idea that would attract players that don't like learning all the details and younger players that may not be mature enough to learn them yet. I wouldn't want to discourage people from playing over alack of options. Keeping in mind that most of the people on these forums are old timers like me that have played either the board game or the online versions and there will necessarily be a need to attract new players I say put in all the options you think will help the game to prosper. It is good for everyone!

#40 DeformedSlowest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

View PostWilliam Petersen, on 05 April 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

The point is that it breaks the game. Options that break game play aren't options, they're cheat codes.

View PostLackofCertainty, on 05 April 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

I don't fully see how the poll relates to the OP. Your poll is "Would you like an option to turn of heat in matches" but your post says nothing about heat. It talks about how you don't want 1 shot kills, due to boated out mechs.

How does that have anything to do with having an option to turn off heat?

It's like if I started a thread with a poll.

"Do you like puppies? Y/N"

and then spent the first post in the thread talking about how I hate cats.

If your poll/thread name was something about "Do you think that previous Mechwarrior games handled heat properly?" then your first post would make sense to me, and I would agree that previous Mechwarrior games didn't make heat as much of an issue as it should be.

Now, as far as your poll goes, I don't want an option to turn off heat in game, -however-, I do think that different environments should have different heating effects. (aka arctic map doubles effectiveness of heatsinks, desert map halves it, etc etc.)

Someone that actually understood my point. As he stated, the option to turn off heat is an OPTION. Because many people want heat management to be an issue, it doesn't mean that you have to take off the OPTION because they "break game play." As LackofCertainty pointed it, the previous MechWarrior games weren't adherent to the original table top game's rules regarding heat manangement.

Having the option wouldn't bug me. Would I join those games? Most definitely not especially if the consequences are the same.

32 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 32 guests, 0 anonymous users