mech buying advice??

13 replies to this topic

#1 ExPingerS

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:17 AM

Hello, I have about 1800000 c bill and didn't buy any mech yet.

and i don't prepare to pay my money on this game..

so I should buy the cheap mechs now or save the c bill for high level mech?

can everybody give me your advice??thanks

#2 Shrinkmaster

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:30 AM

i depends on how much you enjoy the fast-paced scout playstyle.
you can be a valuable asset for your team in a commando, but if you don't enjoy light mechs then it would be better to save your cbills for a bigger mech.

#3 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:38 AM

The Commando is trash. Either save for a Jenner/Raven, or a Medium. The Commando is a beginner's trap because many players will foolishly buy the first thing that unlocks, thinking that getting out of Trials ASAP is the best route. But they will later realize they got a trashcan of a Mech.

#4 ExPingerS

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:21 AM

ok, I think i'll save for medium

thank you both!!! :)

#5 Dezereus

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 53 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:38 AM

The commando is not that bad lol. Commandos aren't my weapon of choice, but they have several nice hard point layouts that are unique to them in the scout category and they are cheap to maintain and upgrade. That said, its probably not a great beginner mech. Personally I love the jenner, raven, and cicada, but those are all fast mechs, if you are looking more for a brawler or a versatile chasis, I would recommend the hunchback.

Best of luck and have fun out there!

Dezereus

#6 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:40 AM

I would not buy a light as your first mech unless you plan to keep it

note that the Hunchback 4SP is(in my opinion) one of the best starter mechs, very versatile hardpoints (2 missile, 5 energy) and it does not have all it's weapons in a single easy-to-hit right torso like the other Hunchbacks making it much harder to focus on one vulnerable side.

The Centurion AL is not bad either. Better 'zombie' mech (can still put up a fight after losing boith arms and both side torsos)

Cicadas.. not bad, but they're essentially slightly larger light mechs. Don't buy a Cicada unless you want to run crazy fast.

#7 Nokkeli

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:41 AM

View PostBluten, on 31 October 2012 - 03:38 AM, said:

The Commando is trash. Either save for a Jenner/Raven, or a Medium. The Commando is a beginner's trap because many players will foolishly buy the first thing that unlocks, thinking that getting out of Trials ASAP is the best route. But they will later realize they got a trashcan of a Mech.

I dont think the commando is trash. I have one and I can fight evenly with ravens and jenners. It's small, fast and cheap. With the right setup you can do a lot of harm with it. I recommend you buy one that you like to play with.

#8 charov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationLondon - UK

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:42 AM

I'm a jenner pilot and I agree with who has posted before me. Lights are not easy at all and need more c-bills then many other mechs. My jenner, for example, has:
- ES (don't remember, 300.000 c-bills?)
- DHS (1.500.000 c-bills)
- FF (don't remember, 300.000 c-bills?)
- XL300 (4.900.000 c-bills)

Medium mechs are a good start: can carry a good firepower, don't cost too much and are not expensive to repair.

#9 Lufos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:42 AM

well, i wouldnt recommend a commando. you need to know what you are doing when piloting it, otherwise you will die instantly. however, a jenner or a raven is a good choice. cicada and hunchback as well. i would choose one of these 4.

it is important, that you only use lasers. this is because balistic weapons cost way more to maintain(repair cost+ammo) and are usually heavier and harder to aim. also dont upgrade your engines to XL and dont use DHS/ES/FF. just stick with standard engine and standard upgrades. the more stuff you put into your mech the more expensive it will be to maintain.

summary:

buy either:
-jenner
-raven
-cicada
-hunchback

-leave the standard engine/armor/structure
-equip only lasers

with 1-2 of these mechs you can farm money easily as you have small repair bills.

Edited by Lufos, 31 October 2012 - 06:43 AM.

#10 Jaroth Corbett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

My suggestion is to buy a mech based on how you wish to play. Whatever play style is comfortable for you, buy a mech to suit that. If you like the fast run & gun of a light mech, then go for it. If you prefer a little more firepower in place of a little less mobility, then a medium is right for you etc. etc.

#11 AcesOnHigh

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

This is all good advice, especially RedShift's. The Hunchback 4SP is an amazing mech. I run one with 4 medium pulse lasers in the arms and two streak srms in the shoulders. Normally I get one to two kills a game and 2 or 3 assists. Unless we get stomped, then just a bunch of damage. If this is your first time, I suggest following Redshift's advice and going with the Hunchback 4SP. Don't go with one of the other Hunchbacks because EVERYONE aims for your main gun on the shoulder and knocks it out very quickly if you don't protect it.

I would not agree that the commando is useless, I believe the 2-D, the one with all the missile hard points, is an amazing mech. Back in closed Beta I ran it with either 3 srm6 or with 3 streak srms. If I ran with the streaks I could do some serious damage to light mechs such as the Jennner and Raven. With the 3 srm6, I could pop in behind heavier mechs and do some serious damage. Of course I ran with VERY little armor, so I almost always died, but I almost always did a lot of damage.

#12 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

I also recommend the hunchback 4SP, 2 laser slots on each arm, one in the head, a missile slot in each side torso.

It's very good "as is" and with a few upgrades (2 streaks instead of srm6, double heatsinks, medium pulse in head) it's lethal. Repair bills are also pretty cheap if you dont put too much streak ammo in.

Lights are very effective because of the lagshield (gotta aim way ahead even with lasers) but they're more tricky to drive and you need to spend a lot to get the most out of them (endosteel, double heatsinks, xl engine), especially the xl engines cost a fortune.

Edited by Flapdrol, 31 October 2012 - 09:33 AM.

#13 Alexanderwolf

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

I prefer to use the commando 2D to farm credits as a light mech I think its one of the fast mechs to grind credits with because of the low repair bill. It also is an effective me with the ECM package.

#14 Mucia Prata

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, Ohio

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

If you're looking for a good beginner mech, I found the Jenner to be pretty balanced for beginners. It was what I used as a trial mech, and was actually my first two purchases. I'm really green (only been playing for about a week), but I am able to hold my own in matches with my Jenners. Raven is pretty common, and appears to be good for beginners as well.

I wouldn't say Commando is trash though. Those little buggers are pests in the worst way, as long as a good pilot is behind them. They require more tactics, of course. So while the Commando can be a really great mech, I wouldn't suggest it as your first, unless you're patient enough.

I'd honestly save up and by a Jenner or Raven. If you want, go with a Hunchback of Centurion. Centurion is my first and currently only medium mech, and I love it it death. I'm not a fan of the humanoid mechs (much prefer chicken-walkers because I love the design), but I couldn't be happier with my Centurion.

Jenner has really good balance though. Great for scouting, or supporting other mechs in battle. All three variants have great loadouts. Though I prefer the D and the K, since they can pack one heck of a punch with their missiles.

If you wanna be a scout, I'd suggest an ECM raven. But that means you'll probably have to save up a bit more. Though depending on how many matches you've done, you should be getting enough C-Bills soon to buy a great mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users