Raven RVN-4X

45 replies to this topic

#1 Spencley

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:51 AM

Having Difficulty finding an enjoyable fit. Anyone got any info on load outs or a link to a place with a few different options

#2 Hrafn

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

View PostBlaumeise, on 31 October 2012 - 05:03 AM, said:

You could use an AC20 and sneaking into the back of your enemies. If you want to stay behind, LRM20 is also an option. A Gauss Rifle for sniping is also possible .... but you won't have much tonage left for other stuff then.

Just get rid of the machine guns - they are kinda useless.

I think the above is a joke.
I too am struggling to find a loadout I like. I just started using 2 Large Lasers with a bunch of heatsinks. It is fun at least.

#3 Webber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 117 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

Actually, that's not a joke. I find using an AC10 to be a lot of fun for flanking, but others use larger weapons.

#4 Telthalion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationNevada, USA

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

When I was working through my basic efficiencies for Raven variants I eventually settled on a Large Laser + SRM6 + AMS for both the 2X and 4X. One jump jet on the 4X, an extra half ton of armor for the 2X.

Sure, you can cram a Gauss or a pair of AC/2s into the arm of a 4X, but it's not really worth the weight you have to shuffle around.

#5 Antony Weiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationEast Coast U.S.

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

View PostSpencley, on 31 October 2012 - 04:51 AM, said:

Having Difficulty finding an enjoyable fit. Anyone got any info on load outs or a link to a place with a few different options

I had (I drive Hunchback 4SP now) 1 LPL, 1 MPL, 2 MGs, AMS, endo-steel and ff armor, and no rockets. Fun times, blowing off arms of medium and heavy mechs, then finishing them in the cabin or the back. Put MG in group 1, both Lasers in group 2, and LPL into group 3. Alternatively, you can sacrifice powerful lasers in favor of SSRM2, if you want to. These are currently the only two good builds for a 4X, imo.

AC/20 or AC/2 builds are doable but stupid, very often frustrating, and are good only against trials and alike.

The key thing about 4X is getting used to the machine guns. MGs are very good when used properly.

#6 Farmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

View PostAntony Weiner, on 03 November 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

MGs are very good when used properly.

No they aren't. they do .04 DPS. Two of them do .8 damage every ten seconds, and they weigh a ton more than a SLAS.

#7 Walk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

View PostFarmer, on 03 November 2012 - 08:26 PM, said:

No they aren't. they do .04 DPS. Two of them do .8 damage every ten seconds, and they weigh a ton more than a SLAS.

They are also loud, you can't sneak up behind an assault mech and quietly burn away his back armor like you can with small lasers.

I currently have one of these Ravens. Haven't bought an Engine for it yet, but I have it loaded up with a single gauss, jump jets, TAG,maxed armor and AMS. The idea of this mech will be to get to about 450 m, then hug terrain while TAGing targets and sending off the occasional potshot looking for the slower assault mechs, essentially a stealthy sniper mech. It will also make good a complement to heavy/assault mechs with the heavy hitting gauss and AMS to help prevent them from getting hit by enemy LRMS, using them as cover to attempt for headshots. You can do all this if you fit an XL195 engine. Not the fastest, but with the speed tweak you should still be at around 99 kph, which is respectable for something carrying a Gauss.

I suspect if they ever release a light-gauss, this build will become much more viable, and you can load up on a few smaller lasers or missiles as well

Edited by Walk, 03 November 2012 - 11:05 PM.

#8 Telthalion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationNevada, USA

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

View PostFarmer, on 03 November 2012 - 08:26 PM, said:

0.04 damage per bullet. 10 shots per second for 0.4 dps.

Still worthless though, aside from looking and sounding cool. Unloading a full ton of ammo into someone is worth 80 damage, assuming every shot lands - and takes 100 seconds to accomplish, assuming a stock 4X with 2 machine guns.

#9 Hansh0tfirst

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:06 AM

Standard Engine 245

AMS

AMS Ammo x1

Medium Pulse Laser

Streak SRM2

Streak Ammo x1

Machine Gun x2

Machine Gun Ammo x1

TAG

Jump Jet x1

Endo Steel

Armor (176)

Cheap to build. Cheap to maintain. Fun to drive. What it lacks in punch it makes up for in speed, team support and heat efficiency. LRM boats will love you.

#10 Ryft

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:34 AM

View PostTelthalion, on 03 November 2012 - 11:15 PM, said:

0.04 damage per bullet. 10 shots per second for 0.4 dps.

Still worthless though, aside from looking and sounding cool. Unloading a full ton of ammo into someone is worth 80 damage, assuming every shot lands - and takes 100 seconds to accomplish, assuming a stock 4X with 2 machine guns.

I thought there was a chance to critical and score ammunition cookoffs with every successful shot, though?

If that's the case, a mech armed with machine guns could be a serious threat to damaged mechs carrying explosive munitions late in the game. I guess the problem there is that it's a very inflexible weapon... useless against laser boats, useless against undamaged mechs, and therefore useless early game. Also, you don't always know where in a mech the ammunition is being stored, and then there's CASE to prevent catastrophe anyway.

Alright, I sort of talked myself out of it, didn't it? Not worth the weight.

#11 Telthalion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationNevada, USA

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

View PostRyft, on 04 November 2012 - 05:34 AM, said:

I thought there was a chance to critical and score ammunition cookoffs with every successful shot, though?

To my knowledge criticals don't exist currently - but possibly in the future.

Machine guns don't add any special bonuses or chances to do anything against internals. A lot of people are asking for it to be implemented for the sake of having at least a few machine guns running around in the game somewhere.

#12 Draken X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 320 posts
  • LocationGMT+8

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

You know. I find it utterly ******** for people to customize the RVN-4X with the Urbanmech's loadout. Sorry to offend to you guys, but I see that kind of build is totally undermining the Raven's effectiveness in combat. Like if you ever think of sacrificing tonnage for the AC/20, you would seriously end up turned the Raven into a Dodo. You get what I mean?

No offense. But really, if you're doing this, you're definitely doing it wrong.

#13 Mkoll666

• PipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:25 AM

Gaussraven pilot here

I roll a Raven with 145 engine and Gaussrifle with 4x ammo

Armor is maxed on left side, left arm and CT and everywhere ab it less expect the right arm which has no armor

dont take AC20 its bad u need to be so close to the target an less ammo

u are slow and want to be far back this is the reason i took more ammo and less armor

Edit: i forgot endo and the other armor upgrade is needed, and i never repar nor rearm this thing and only take the free repair and rearm to grind moneys

Edited by Mkoll666, 04 November 2012 - 07:38 AM.

#14 Twisp

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • 109 posts
  • LocationBed

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

View PostTelthalion, on 04 November 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

To my knowledge criticals don't exist currently - but possibly in the future.

Machine guns don't add any special bonuses or chances to do anything against internals. A lot of people are asking for it to be implemented for the sake of having at least a few machine guns running around in the game somewhere.

Critical slots can be destroyed and ammo can be cooked off without overheat or component destruction. Solely by damage. In other words, criticals exist. I know this from personal experience (losing weapon functionality after taking gauss shots) and accounts (many a distraught individual has relayed that their ammo or weapons become crippled during engagements with my Plc 4g, which uses mgs as a sidearm)

#15 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

I've heard reports of ammo explosions in game from guys that I've dropped with. I've not seen it mind you cause I'm usually moving past at 135kph but I trust 'em.

As for a Raven? I have only seen the autocannon build one time on a video (which was superbly entertaining) in which they had a flock of Ravens with AC20s but I am not familiar with the build.

MechSpecs has a Guass Raven 4X posted but not sure if that matches your play style.

#16 Spencley

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

I have Settled on the following RVN-4X
  • 97.2 kph
  • 35 tons
  • 31 firepower
  • 1.27 heat
  • 232 armor
2 x Medium Pulse Lasers
2 x Machines Gun (1 Machine gun ammo)
1 x Anti Missile System ( 1 AMS ammo
1 x SRM 6 (1 SRM ammo)
1 x Jump Jets
14 x Heat Sinks
Xl Engine 210
Endo-Steel Structure
Ferro-Fribrous Armor

I average around 300-450 damage a round with this if everything goes right.

#17 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

I like it!!!!!!!! In fact I am tempted to try this out myself once I have the Jenner finished off.

#18 Spencley

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

Glad to be of help :D bought my raven 4x and was dissapointed but stuck to it and experimented with all sorts. Heat is no issue at all if you have basic management skills you can easily drop another heatsink for more ammo or armor: ) ;) i also need a name for the build D:

Edited by Spencley, 04 November 2012 - 06:59 PM.

#19 Antony Weiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationEast Coast U.S.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

View PostSpencley, on 04 November 2012 - 05:40 PM, said:

Glad to be of help :P bought my raven 4x and was dissapointed but stuck to it and experimented with all sorts. Heat is no issue at all if you have basic management skills you can easily drop another heatsink for more ammo or armor: ) ;) i also need a name for the build D:

Spencley,

Considering how light raven is in brawl and that you are running an XL engine on it, how many times have XL caused catastrophic failure after your torso has been blown off? Thinking about it now, I ran RVN-4X for a couple of days and got either of my torsos blown off only a couple of times (and died a couple of second later from center torso failure anyway). Do you notice any difference in your "death rate" with an XL as opposed to the Std.?

#20 Spencley

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

Honestly... as far as i can remember since switching to the XL i have seen my torso blow once. Normally if i die im taking a complete pounding and its inevitable. It is still a tough Mech especially for a light. After swapping a heat sink for an ammo case it now also has the max armor available.

Edited by Spencley, 05 November 2012 - 12:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users